No announcement yet.

Alien Isolation review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stressful is the right word for this game, reaching every save point feels immensely satisfying. I have to say that the A. I of the Alien is probably the best A. I I've ever seen in a game. This one is definitely a thinking man's game, because every encounter with the Alien really must be carefully thought out and planned. It takes pure nerves of steel to actually get out from a hiding place and move, let alone to get to an objective. Really enjoying it, even if it is tough as hell.
    Last edited by darkangel; 16-10-2014, 14:48.

Comment

Well I am loving every minute of this game. True survival horror. Lights out, PS4 Wireless headset on, perfect! The setting/graphics are top notch, the atmosphere perfect, the sound, amazing. I cannot believe the average/mediocre reviews it got.

The best survival horror game I've played.

Comment

The game effectively ends once

you obtain the flamethrower.
        I'm hoping there is a twist later on but after the alien is ejected the tension evaporates.

Comment

Have you tried the survival mode at all?

I'm wondering what kind of times you guys can get!

Comment

As I close in on the final moments of A:I I just wanted to post up some spoiler free thoughts. I'm about 14 hours in.

I just want to start by saying this is the bravest and boldest big budget title in a long time. I cannot praise CA enough for doing something different with a major movie franchise (that has had more flops than successes, but remains a very important name), and sticking to their original design mandate even when it flew in the face of modern game design.

This game is harsh, controller snappingly harsh at times. You'll lose many hours of game time over the course of the lengthy campaign, and many of these time times it's not the players fault. The game just decides to kill you and often there was nothing you could do about it. It goes against everything a good game should be - that player failure should always be their fault, even modern toughies like Dark Souls stick by this - but here it bloody well works because it creates an unrelenting, unflinching atmosphere that a game associated with Alien just has to be to work.

You fear the Alien throughout, regardless of the slowly growing arsenal you acquire as the game progresses, because it feels so bad getting killed. Some sections are really tough, taking a good half hour to an hour between saves, and knowing that one false step, or one random moment, could send you right back is enough to put you right on the edge. There were some moments in the game where I not only held my breath as the Alien approached, I closed my eyes, not wanting to see everything I've done be wiped away. Often the game does actually let you get away with these close encounters, but sometimes - just enough to make sure you are never comfortable- it punishes you very harshly indeed.

What works so well is of course the graphics and sound design. The game looks fantastic, a brilliant realisation of the Alien look and with some of the most incredible lighting around. Later on the game almost starts showing off with its array of real time coloured lighting going on, it's absolutely insane and never fails to impress. Perhaps even more spectacular is the sound, especially when wearing headphones. It's one of the best designed games sound wise I've ever played.

The audio-visuals in tandem, with the AI of the Alien and harshness of the gameplay, create one hell of an Alien experience.

Yes, gameplay wise you can easily find flaws - the campaign is overlong and some sections could have potentially be cut. The interface is clunky, some of the mechanics can be clunky, some of the encounters outside of the Alien can become a little tedious, but all of these things are not enough to trip the game up.

As a labour of love and as a piece of fan service, this is the best Alien game ever made. As a survival horror it does have some issues but it's still up there with the best, and as for games released in 2014 this rates right at the top. Unless it falls over in the last hour, in which case I'll update this post!

Comment

Have to agree with everything you've said here. I'm nowhere near the end as I find that I have to be in the right mood to play. I've scored an 8, not because it's badly made but it's not really my type of game, I can appreciate how good it is though. It sticks to the brief but that brief isn't for everyone.
              I love the periods of 'nothingness' because they really highlight the jump bits. I was feeling pretty safe for half an hour or so last play and then bang and I literally jumped out of my seat. I can't remember another game that has made me do that.

Comment

Finished the game now, this is my GOTY so far. Absolutely brilliant experience and while I wouldn't say it was great the whole way through the highs make it all so worthwhile.

Hats off to CA for making this. Not only is it a genre they've have no experience in, they've actually managed to create the best title in the Alien franchise since the release of Aliens in 1986.

And to think, Gamespot and IGN's reviews almost stopped me from buying this game.

Comment

Loving reading all the positive comments about this game. Sounds like the perfect Alien game, after all these years.

I held off buying it partly because I wanted to read reviews and options first and partly because there are so many other games just out and I haven't got time to play them all.

Definitely on my wants list now though.

Comment

Yeah, me too!
                    I was toying with getting this for some Halloween 🎃 gaming, but will probably hold off until next year, which is a bit naughty as I want to give the developers the credit they deserve.

Comment

What difficulty is everyone playing this on? Loading it up now and wondering whether to go for normal or hard

Comment

Up to Chapter 4 on this really liking it but can only play for an hour at a time due to how tense it is. The Alien A.I seems scarily brilliant never know what it's going to do hopefully some chapter will offer light relief as I feel it needs it in places. Graphics and sound are very impressive most impressed with how astetically accurate to the movie it s with designs etc for scenery.

Comment

What an awesome game. I think it is the perfect Alien game, amazing atmosphere and steadily gets better as you progress. The music and sound is truly terrifying when played with headphones. One of my fave games of the year so far.

IGN's review is a complete joke. I feel sorry for people who will miss out on this experience from reading their review.

Comment

What formats are available for this? In the thread I only see mention of xbone and PC...

Comment

This was ?20 in GAME local to me with any other purchase. (Xbox One and PS4)

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                                What formats are available for this? In the thread I only see mention of xbone and PC...

Microsoft Windows
                                PlayStation 3
                                PlayStation 4
                                Xbox 360
                                Xbox One
                                Bandai Pippin

Comment

Working...
                                X