Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call review

I got this several days ago and I'm already playing it a massive amount. It was this or Smash Bros and I have no regrets! Anyone else playing it?

If you've played the first Theatrhythm game, you'll know what to expect - it's a music game featuring fantastic tunes from the Final Fantasy game, divided into Field Stages, Battle Stages and Event Stages and a whole host of FF characters. This sequel is much the same - same mechanics, same look, same gameplay and it contains almost all of the music from the first game including the DLC tracks. There was a ton of content in the original and on top of all that, this one adds stages from FF X-2, Crisis Core, Tactics, Crystal Chronicles and more and so the track list is massive.

So what's missing? Well the Series mode is gone. I kind of miss it to be honest as it gave a beginning and an ending to a nice selection of tracks and, with so many more tracks, there was room to expand that here. The EMS tracks from the original game have now all been converted to FMS or BMS stages, so no exclusive movie stages from FF1-13. Not a massive loss but I'll admit I already miss them as some of them were great.

But this game more than makes up for what's missing. It adds new EMS stages for the new games and some of those are brilliant, even from games I didn't particularly care for (such as Crisis Core) or games I was barely aware of (Type 0). The main music select mode is better, logging results from other modes and also offering previews of all tracks including the DLC tracks and you can arrange them in many ways to access the tracks you want. There are a ton of new graphical elements added so there is even more variety in the visuals as you play through, while being even more specific to moments in the individual games - that's a great addition and most look excellent although one or two visual stages look a bit poor. There is also a VS mode which I think works online but I haven't tried it yet.

One big addition for me is the Quest Mode which replaces the Chaos Shrine. Chaos Shrine was okay but suffered badly from a lack of tracks. This new Quest Mode seems to integrate all the main game tracks but also wraps it up in a journey. You get a map, get to choose routes and must make your way to the boss picking up keys or items along the way. At harder stages, you run the risk of not making it all the way there so have to start thinking about managing abilities and items. You can also travel further by using airship tickets (there are airship FMS sequences too). So each quest is like a little adventure. Really, it's just wrapping for putting a selection of tracks together but for me it's wrapping that really works. It makes more of the RPG elements and it's fun and has more of a sense of progression than just playing through tracks individually. So I really like this mode.

There are then the usual museum stuff - the music player, card collections (which can be used to enhance your characters in this one), movies.

There are also DLC tracks and characters available already but it has to be said that the amount of content supplied in the game already is insane. One would never have need of the DLC stuff and there is no doubting the content for the price already on the cart but if you like even more or want particular tracks, it's there.

Overall, it's mostly more of the same but improving and adding. If you liked the first one, you'll likely love this.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I bought this on a whim and I can't stop playing it, it's incredible. It's mostly just the insane amount of content, over 200 songs in a rhythm game is huge enough as it is but then there's all the stuff on top of that to keep you playing those songs. The cards to collect, the maps to beat, the characters to level up and abilities to learn, the rhythmia and the associated rewards from that. It does this absolutely fantastic thing of having so much content that almost every time you beat a song, you'll unlock something new. It's really bloody effective at keeping you playing.

I love the Quest Medleys too. If you haven't noticed, when you beat a Quest Medley you can add it to your Proficard and people you streetpass or play online can inherit the map that you attached. And you can play the map from their card too. The best thing about this is that the more people play it, the more of it is "unlocked." So when you first play a map, all the tracks are secret and all the monster drops are "???????" and stuff. When you beat it though, you'll have revealed the names of a few songs and seen some of the monster drops and so the person who takes it from you has all that information available. If you unlock a door, they don't have to unlock it themselves! It's a really cute touch.

Basically it's amazing and it's my game of the year so far. It's making me want to play Final Fantasy XII again so bad. WHERE IS THE HD REMASTER?!

Comment

Have you played online yet? Is it good?

Comment

Yeah I've played a bunch of games online and it's really good fun. There are status effects which mix things up a hell of a lot! You can play battles against the AI if you want to see what the online battles are like without actually going online.

Comment

Cool, I just tried a couple of battles and got my ass handed to me. The warpy effects make it really hard and I just couldn't make sense of the timing, especially with the random one. Do I have any control over these at all? I didn't seem to choose what the enemy was hit with but I might have missed that in the explanation.

Comment

Nah, they're random, and the ones your enemy uses are random too. They do take some getting used to but a lot of them are pretty easy to deal with if you're in the zone. For a lot of them, if you just concentrate less on what you're seeing and more on what you're hearing, you can usually get through them pretty well.

Comment

Yeah, I think I need to get more familiar with these visual tricks and hopefully I'll be less put off by them.

One gaping hole in the track list: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance series.

That series has fantastic music and really should have been represented. What's here is awesome and it's hard to grumble given the amount of content but it feels like a noticeable hole. Especially given we have Magic Quest tracks and Romancing Saga tracks as DLC. And while some of the Crisis Core/Advent Children/Dissidia tracks are great, many are remixes of tracks already represented. So personally I would have given FFTA tracks priority over those.

Well, not to worry. Awesome track list regardless.

Comment

Do you guys know how to access DLC songs? I have no idea how to do it!!

Comment

When you say access do you mean buy or play? To buy them you have to have played for a bit and the ability to purchase DLC opens. Then you get there from the screen where you select your profile. So back out all the way and then start again. To play them, you'll find them sitting in your music select menu and they are marked with a little DL.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    When you say access do you mean buy or play? To buy them you have to have played for a bit and the ability to purchase DLC opens. Then you get there from the screen where you select your profile. So back out all the way and then start again. To play them, you'll find them sitting in your music select menu and they are marked with a little DL.
                    Right, I got the impression you could download and play the (not buy) DLC songs straight away as I keep getting notifications that I can get them but I've only played a handful of tracks.

Comment

Well I've been playing a ton of this and I'm loving it so much. I've got the hang of playing online. I got my ass kicked many, many times but eventually started to get the feel for the weird handicaps it throws you. I still get screwed when I get the random one but others I can be okay with unless I really don't know the tune (the Type-0 ones aren't good for me).

I love how much variety there is in the backgrounds in this one. They really put the effort in and so much of it will be recognisable to anyone who has played the games. I've only played 1 to X-2 so miss some of the fanservice from the other games. Even the DLC sometimes has its own specific visuals. Like I got the moon track from FFIV and the background is a beautifully done version of the moon with stuff you'll recognise from the game. Same with Thunder Plains - the background is Thunder Plains. Really great.

I still have loads to unlock but I'm slowly unlocking characters through the quest medleys. Taking me a while though. I find when the quests go up into level 75 or over, they start to kick my ass.

Overall, loving it.

Comment

Thought I'd get on with this better than the first game as it supports analogue stick and button controls, but no.

Anything higher than beginner still beats my ass down, which is a real shame as the music is one of my favourite aspects to final fantasy and I know most of the tracks very well.

Comment

Really? I would have thought the stylus would be easier but I haven't tried the button method. With the quest medleys, when you fail one it will give you a lower level one so that's something at least. All I can recommend beyond that is to try to learn some of the more relaxed field stages in expert because they're usually easier than the battle stages and then go from there.

Actually, in terms of ratings this one seems to be more forgiving. I have got a bunch of all-criticals now which I never did in the first one and I've also badly messed up stages and still been awarded an S rank, which is kind of weird.

Comment

The problem I have with using the stylus is that it doesn't always register my diagonal strokes. It seems there's either a slight responsiveness issue with my touch screen or the game. I'm hesitant to suggest the prior as I have no issues with other games.

Comment

Well it's possible it's a screen issue but, as you say, unlikely if you're not having other problems. More likely is you're just not being strong enough in the right direction. I found that an issue with the first one until I actually looked at my strokes and they were off - it was just physically harder for my hand to go in the exact direction on the diagonals (especially to the right). So I tried to adjust and do them better and it helped a lot. I still get the odd fumble when things get crazy though.

As far as I can see, Curtain Call is a little more forgiving on the directions too though so if you can aim to get closer you should generally have fewer problems on this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X