No announcement yet.

DriveClub [PS4] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only the handling in Rally is suitable because it's a rally based time trial.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
      Only the handling in Rally is suitable because it's a rally based time trial.
      I'd argue that as an arcade / 'sim lite' racer the handling is spot on for Drive Club. It's the best I've experienced in a racing game for some time.

Comment

New Olympic rubber band record!!!1111!!!

30 second head start to the other 9 cars in a 10 car race. Catch them on lap 2, and then conveniently they up the pace considerably once I'm in the top 5 cars.
        How Evolution can even begin to argue there isn't rubber banding in this is beyond me!

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
          New Olympic rubber band record!!!1111!!!

30 second head start to the other 9 cars in a 10 car race. Catch them on lap 2, and then conveniently they up the pace considerably once I'm in the top 5 cars.
          How Evolution can even begin to argue there isn't rubber banding in this is beyond me!
          As i understand they call it dynamic AI, when your slow and a bit rubbish the AI will drive slower to allow you to catch up. If you are out in front the AI will drive a lot more aggressively. The AI racer cannot, however, go faster then the top limit on that car. Unlike something on Mario Kart 64 when you are miles in front and make no mistakes the AI will still magically catch you up.

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
            And MoFo, you have become some kind of absolute don at this. Some of your times are frankly mental!
            Are you drunk or something? Everytime I race online I get owned so hard it's embarassing, haven't won a single race :P

What times are you struggling with? You can rest assured there is plenty to be improved. I still have to purchase the Season Pass to get the 2 new tours that were released just before christmas, I think I'll do that when I get home tomorrow or tuesday.

Comment

which wheel (s) work with this?

Comment

Expensive ones are the only options for PS4 at the moment officially, as they have to have a certain chip in to be recognised by the PS4. Pretty annoying.

Many gamers forked out hundreds of pounds for expensive steering wheel peripherals for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 -…

Comment

I got a T80 wheel for christmas, it should work and costs around ?80 I think.

Comment

Looks like you're right didn't realise that was a budget model so to speak

Get your hands on our world-famous sim racing wheels, pedal sets and accessories for PC, PlayStation and Xbox. Check out the ecosystem.

It's ?90 from Argos, don't know about Amazon etc.

Comment

I have a wheel in the garage I used for F1 it is a Ferrari Thrustmaster I think, I will dig it out over the weekend as see if it works.

Comment

Tested my T80 and it feels akward to use a wheel, must be almost 10 years since my last time (Colin 04/05 on PS2). I need to get a table in the right height for attaching the steering wheel. And I also have to find out the best angle for resting my feet on the pedals as when I tried now I almost got cramps, probably due to sitting almost straight up.

Fun though

Comment

Well, this has been interesting to play after all the negativity!

Giant bomb gave Driveclub 2 / 5 citing the control being sub-par, no atmosphere and no customisation meaning the game is less fun. I've heard terrible stories about the net code which seem legitimate and concerning and everyone else was saying Forza Horizon 2 was better. I spent some time over the weekend playing Forza Horizon 2 and loved the night to day transitions, the weather was nice, control was a subtle easing of the Forza 4 controls and the Xbox One triggers added anew dimension with the rumble feedback.

Now I've spent hours with the game soaking up the career mode, taking photos, videos and lots of Time Trial action, I have to say that the negative reviews were very wrong and the comparison with Forza Horizon 2? Forza is an open world with more realistic physics, Driveclub is an Arcade Sim hybrid like Project Gotham Racing with a focus on point to point tracks. Both are great, but Driveclub is more in my wheel house.

The game looks stunning with some wonderfully rendered cars, audio is spot on and very loud and the weather, oh the weather!

It's a real shame this game has been sidelined as it's not talked about much anymore but it deserves to be. It's taken the Project Gotham Racing crown in my eyes as it looks and sounds beautiful, has an eclectic but focused range of cars I want to drive, has tracks in locations I don't normally drive around and has that sweet spot of handling where it's inspired by the realistic control but has an Arcade flavour where it's easy to hold onto drifts and allows you to catch any understeer.

Game of the Year? Yes.

Comment

The rain on the windscreen is incredible in that video, wow.

Comment

Don't forget, you have played a massively patched version of the game. Perhaps those reviews should be updated but it was a very bad product on release.

Comment

I agree, it was supposed to be a bit of a joke at launch- but I bought this at Christmas and I'm really enjoying it!!

It's technical problems have all been resolved judging by my experience, and the game is a hell of a lot of fun.

If you were on the fence due to the negativity- I highly recommend trying it out now. The price dropped a fair bit due to it all, but seems to be creeping back up now the game is fixed

Graphics really need to be seen to be believed as well- the rain,thunder and lightning effects are a real "wow" next gen moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X