DriveClub [PS4] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DriveClub [PS4] review

Right then, I picked up the special edition first thing this morning, and have had a solid few hours to get stuck into DriveClub. And my first impression is it?s a hugely mixed bag. It does some things exceptionally well, whilst other basic features (or lack thereof) let it down.

i thought it might be best to just break it down into good and bad, as it really does seem to be a game of two extremes.

the good

The most obvious good point is the visuals. I?ve had a few Wow moments so far, mostly as a result of the lighting and weather. The car models aren?t actually great, but some parts of the tracks are truly beautiful. The initial fly overs before a race are a great example.

The other main good point, and for me by far the most important, is the handling. It feels absolutely spot on. Cars feel heavy, solid, have momentum and you can really enjoy shifting the weight. And i have to say, whilst in the in-car view, the sense of speed and movement (or impact if you crash) is absolutely incredible. Your avatar rocks about in the seat, your view changes accordingly, and it?s incredibly immersive. Thankfully it?s also very easy to go from race to race, as the loading times are almost non existent. Not sure how Evolution have done this, and i suspect theres some smoke and mirrors loading going on in the background, but it feels lightning fast.

Finally, the challenges in each race are really great fun. It?s extremely satisfying when you beat a challenge, and see your score wipe it off the screen to right.

the bad:

You really are just thrown into this game. There?s a quick opening promo video at the start, which was released a few weeks ago, but nothing to set the scene. This leaves you with no idea what you?re doing, or how you?re supposed to progress. And all of a sudden you start unlocking cars with random points?but have no real ideal why, where they are stored, or how to access them. When you get to the familiar tiled event grid, you at least feel slightly at home.

Menu system is pretty basic, and the in-race UI is quite bewildering at first, with lots going on. Playing on a 50? screen, and even on there it feels quite intrusive to begin with. You eventually get used to the pop up challenges and targets however.

The in game music is shockingly bad, which seems to consist of around 3 generic DnB tracks, which are not mentioned anywhere?no artist, track name, etc. Clearly an after thought that Evolution are extremely keen to hide away, as music is bizarrely switched off by default when you start.
    Annoyingly, the menu music is actually very good, but I?ll be playing this with music off, and most likely some sensational Eurobeat mix for music.

In fact, the audio side of things in this entire game is pretty bad, with seemingly one standard sound for tire screech, one for impact, one for driving on gravel etc.

Speaking of atrocious parts of this game, the custom paint jobs are shocking. Very Computer Arts circa 1995. Quite why you?d want to use any of these is beyond me.

MSR 2

Feel free to declare me insane, but I personally feel DriveClub has a very strong MSR vibe to it?it?s clearly not finished or fleshed out, it?s beautiful but only wafer thin, different short tracks based on larger areas, no meaningful customising, its kudos and driver levelling, even its handling feels familiar and equally fun. But alas, MSR was released in 2000?and therefore the shallow nature of DC feels almost subconsciously dated, and anything but cutting edge.

I think the easiest way to describe DriveClub, is that it feels like an additional mode in another game, rather than a full title in its own right. For example, imagine Gran Turismo had a ?Club Mode?. DC is exactly what it would be. But as a full game, it feels hugely lacking.

There?s fun to be had here, and it?s handling is absolutely fantastic. But you can?t help but wonder what could have been.

BordersDown Club

For anyone planning on buying this, MoFo2 was legendary enough to set up a BD club. Just search for 'bordersdown' in the club menu to find it.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Nice impressions, mate.

I am tempted to grab this as it is a straight track based Racer rather than an open world thing.

I'll see if Asda or or someone is selling it for a little cheaper and then trade it if I don't get on with it.

Comment

Thanks for the review, dave. I think I agree with you on a lot of your points.

I will have to throw in the aggressive AI-cars that sometimes drive like maniacs and also some graphical "glitches" like shadows pop-up and at times sterile, "jaggied" objects. However, I'm liking the game more and more as I progress and I look forward to the online aspects when the servers are finally 100% stable.

Comment

Just bought it. Paid ?40 so if it's naff CEX pay ?35 so it's a ?5 to find out.

Heading home now so will fire it up shortly. I'll join your Club if there's space?

Comment

Great stuff mate, hope you get on with it. I think all the reviews so far have slightly dampened expectations, so I was quite pleasantly surprised.

Last time I checked it was just MoFo and myself in the club, so get involved and lets get it levelled up!

Comment

It's a shame all those 2.8 million fame points or so and star goals I have achieved offline, don't count towards the club. Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
              Great stuff mate, hope you get on with it. I think all the reviews so far have slightly dampened expectations, so I was quite pleasantly surprised.

Last time I checked it was just MoFo and myself in the club, so get involved and lets get it levelled up!
              Connected to server first time! The first race is nice. World detail seems rather lovely and handling is the right balance of arcade / sim for me.

A couple of picky things:

1. There's very little "fanfare" when you do well.

2. The cars dont look like they're 100% attached to the road. Hovering slightly.
              Last edited by teddymeow; 10-10-2014, 17:35.

Comment

That's good news. I'm planning on giving the multiplayer a bash tonight, so hopefully they can get some server stability.

Comment

Played a few races, like it. Enjoying the lack of racing line on the road, feels like you need to pay more attention than games of recent years.

Won't be on again till Monday but will join the BD DriveClub then.

Not amazing so far but likeable and enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                    Played a few races, like it. Enjoying the lack of racing line on the road, feels like you need to pay more attention than games of recent years.

Won't be on again till Monday but will join the BD DriveClub then.

Not amazing so far but likeable and enjoyable.
                    Yeah. Using the flags to judge the severity of the turn is a cool touch.

Comment

Had an hour of play just recently, didn't manage to connect to the servers but at least I'm making personal progress unlocking a few cars and just missing a few stars to unlock the final event. Shame that some cars can only be obtained by reaching certain levels with the club, but I'm sure we'll get there when teddymeow and ItsThere join and the server-Gods are at our side

Edit: If you want to listen to the soundtrack, you can buy it in iTunes or go through this playlist on Youtube. The music is made by a Welsh band called "Hybrid".
                      Last edited by MoFo2; 10-10-2014, 22:12. Reason: Added info about soundtrack.

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats
                        The in game music is shockingly bad, which seems to consist of around 3 generic DnB tracks, which are not mentioned anywhere…no artist, track name, etc. Clearly an after thought that Evolution are extremely keen to hide away, as music is bizarrely switched off by default when you start.
                        Annoyingly, the menu music is actually very good, but I’ll be playing this with music off, and most likely some sensational Eurobeat mix for music.
                        The whole soundtrack was put together by Welsh electronica band Hybrid. As for the rest of the audio, personally I think it's alright (from inside the car at least) and it was an area during development that Rushy had commented he was particularly pleased with and was hoping to convince the rest of the team to start with in-game music off by default.

Speaking of atrocious parts of this game, the custom paint jobs are shocking. Very Computer Arts circa 1995. Quite why you’d want to use any of these is beyond me.
                        They're not great. That said they do look a lot better when you figure out how to individually colour each layer etc - another reason why the game should have included at least an optional virtual tour of the menu system etc.

Feel free to declare me insane, but I personally feel DriveClub has a very strong MSR vibe to it…it’s clearly not finished or fleshed out, it’s beautiful but only wafer thin, different short tracks based on larger areas, no meaningful customising, its kudos and driver levelling, even its handling feels familiar and equally fun.
                        Ged Talbot (lead PGR/Blur designer) and several other ex-Bizarre Creations staff are now employed by ES and worked on this. Ex-Studio Liverpool peeps too. Not sure of Talbots exact role in the team.

Edit: Hadn't noticed MoFo2's edit.
                        Last edited by Mr M0by; 10-10-2014, 20:24.

Comment

Guessing I'm in the minority but I'm enjoying more and more. The handling is bang on the money and for ?35.00 via download I can't complain. A strong 8/10. I'm bias as a real petrol head and enjoy nothing more than a racing game.

Comment

I'm very much enjoying this.

I like the "old school" choose a track and race rather than driving around to find an event.

Some of the vista's are stunning! Driving through a narrow section of track with the dappled light filtering through low hanging branches and then out into the sunshine proper is amazing.

Found an oddity though. Rounded corners in daylight, drove into tunnel which was dark and then the tunnel suddenly lit up. It was as if that section of track only loaded once you were inside the tunnel. Strange.

The menu music is pretty cool. Kept the race music off as the engine noises are rather meaty. Tyre sequel noise is, as mentioned above, one sound which is strange.

Managed a few online races last night and the connection held but was spoiled by the usual dickheads who want to crash and mess about.

Comment

Glad you're enjoying it mate. i managed a few multiplayer games last night, and i actually really enjoyed it. It's absolute chaotic mayhem on every corner, and as long as you don't spin out (which happened all too often), it's pretty exciting. There also seems to be a useful touch where, if you spin out and arent facing forwards, your car ghosts out, so any cars coming through don't plough straight into you.

I seem to have reached the part in the single player game where the difficulty ramps up big time. Took me 15+ attempts on quite a few events to get all 3 stars, yet it's still really satisfying.

Comment

Working...
                              X