Assassins Creed: Unity review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started playing last night.

Holy Moly the graphics are lovely, the lighting and the post processing is really great. I love seeing games progressing like this

Comment

Originally posted by Pulstar View Post
      AC has become ridiculous now. Gamers are such enablers, if this series stopped selling so much Ubisoft would be forced to try for a new cash-cow.
      Why did you buy it then?

Comment

Hope you enjoy it Boris. I flogged mine on eBay t'other day, but it's been added to my ever growing "rebuy when cheaper PS4" wishlist on Amazon. I really wanted to love it, but it just didn't click for me. I imagine if you can get fully involved in it however, with the new customisation options & additional things to do in the city, it could be a belter.

Comment

It's not perfect, the framerate is probably the most dodgy thing in it so far, and it might be something of a step back for the series in ways but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was starting to get into this. Just starting Sync 5 and already 2 Assassinations down which is two more than I remember doing in Black Flag. It's like the early games but so far in a good way.

Comment

Just shy of Sync 8 now and I've really gotten into it. The city lacks solid geography, there's little in the way of landmarks to guide you etc so you kind of end up ignoring it mostly until the game rams a specific location in your face like the Notre Damme mission. It's a bit patchy at times visually too but generally is good and capable of some eye candy. The combat is very archaic though and the most tiresome aspect, its so slow and automated but generally isn't used much unless you try to be overly aggressive rather than stealthy. It's overall a very straight forward Creed title, you generally have to go from A-B following the narrative and doing the occassional assassination mission. It's got little chance this far in of becoming my favourite entry but at the moment I'm enjoying it more than I did AC1, ACRevelations and AC4. Gonna do another chunk tomorrow as I think I get push this into the home stretch on my next play.

Two crashes to desktop so far but other than that no glitches or bugs either. So yeah, nothing amazing but not as bad as the reviews have sometimes complained either.

Comment

On the final Sync sequence now and to be honest my impressions are fading. Once again Ubi has spoiled the backend of a Creed game by ramping up the focus on combat.

Comment

I started this and quickly stopped (to play Dragon Age) and good thing too. Got the same feeling from this as I did from Uncharted 3, it wasn't finished or good enough yet and low and behold there's an incoming patch with 300+ fixes coming this week.

Patch 3 includes over three hundred fixes designed to improve your Assassin’s Creed Unity experience. While you might notice some improvements to framerate as a result of Patch 3, we still have a future patch planned to further address framerate concerns.

Comment

Finished now and for me it's a very firm 7/10 effort. For the next game I don't need the padding adding back in, it just needs a more varied city to be based in... animation scripting lessening and the combat reworked. Those things would tighten up the experience quickly and lead to a series high point.

Comment

just started this on Xbox One with low expectations but even though i am underwhelmed. first thing i noticed is the poor controls. i know this was always a bit of a problem in AC games but in Unity it's up to the point where it becomes too frequent and annoying. some commands refuse to work sometimes, hitting windows and ledges is very tricky and jumping and parcour running is mostly clunky and always unprecise.

technically the game is a very mixed bag and falls short if compared to the polished Black Flag. while the huge crowds and the mass of architecture look stunning there a far too many shortcomings in other areas, like low poly character design, missing animations like NPCs not looking at you when talking to you or none existing indoor shadows. in terms of framerate the game often stutters to levels that even the sound produces dropouts. so, if this games is the result of Ubi's new "next gen" engine i am quite disappointed.

can't say much about story/gameplay but so far it looks all too familiar so i don't expect any surprises like the fantastic sea battles in Black Flag.

Comment

Working...
                    X