No announcement yet.

Far Cry 4 PS4/XBOX ONE review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AI produces some of the most unintentionally hilarious stuff I've ever seen

Comment

Those Sherpa traders certainly seem to have a hard time of it with traffic and animals.

I have been enjoying some of the Hostage Rescues. I think the AI works on the assumption that my headshots are natural causes and mostly continue as if nothing untoward has happened. I've done three rescues now with no civilian casualties where I don't set foot in the settlement or whatever until it is all over.

Having some issues with City of Pain. I'd done a Takedown on drunk guy learning against the wall and was suddenly attacked by four soldiers which of course failed the mission (this after about half an hour of sneaking, throwing bait and doing Takedowns). I need to summon the enthusiasm to try again!

I'm now Karma Level 7, so at this rate I'll be maxxed out before even reaching the North! I have 13 Skill points with nothing to spend it on (other than the currently pointless 6 sector healing).

At my current rate of play I should be approaching 80 hours if i ever finish the game!

I find it very useful having the Buzzer readily available at my Homestead.

Comment

Just had another update on this. It dowmloaded concurremtly with the Dragon Age one!

I haven't done much with this for the last couple of days other than getting some collectibles and doing the bonus DLC mission. I've been taking a break playing some PS4 Minecraft (I see the Skyrim textures are finally availabl;e).

Blood Ruby (bonus DLC) prioved to be something of a headshot fest with the second sniper rifle. Keeping out of range meant the usual non-reaction from the enemies other than some intiital panic. Quite a decent little mission (for a bonus). Going pretty much stealth meant it took a while to complete.

What sort of weapon loadout do people go with? I seem to have standardied (with current unlocks) on the Grenade Launcher as my sidearm, the seond Sniper Rifle, PKM and my current favourite Signature, the Shredder which is rather useful suppressed. If I am doing a mission where firepower is preferable than stealth I go with the Rocket Launcher rather than the Sniper.

Comment

I used a similar load out... Til I did all the belltowers and unlocked the machine gun that gives you.

Now everything is dead in 2 trigger squeezes max. From honey badgers to helicopters... Stealth has gone out the window

Comment

Finished this now, I've enjoyed it throughout and to be honest, didn't have many technical issues with it either. It can be lovely lovely looking game at times, however it's so similar to FC3 that there was a faint whiff of tiredness to it towards the end. Any fifth entry would need a shot in the arm I think. Very much a tightened up FC3.

Comment

Hugely relieved to find on reloading that I just had to escape the Prison Camp on "Don't look down" and didn't have to redo the whole mission. Found you could just run down regardless after grappling down. On dying I was within sight of the gate.

Now at around 44 hours and have just unlocked the North! Experienced some frustration with the first Belltower I tried to climb in the North, as I kept falling at one point. I'll have to check the Strategy Guide.

Comment

Put 19 hours into this and really been gripped by it

Comment

I checked the Guide and there is a gap I need to get across.

That Belltower is annoying me. I was (inevitably attacked by an Eagle and was down to 4 bars. I was backing up to take a decent run at the jump I need to make to get higher and fell to the roof below (15' maybe) and died. Not impressed.

Comment

Only just discovered that you can auto drive to any location on the map! game changer! I hate driving places

Comment

Started this last night, and in feeling pretty disappointed.

It feels like I'm playing the exact same game as before, with very small additions. The menus, upgrades- all of it- feels exactly the same, even the antagonist feels eerily similar.

It's done the usual AC way of doing things of just making everything bigger, more collectables, more guns, bigger map- but it feels like a complete retread. Obviously I expected a this to an extent, being a sequel from Ubisoft and all, but didn't think it would feel quite so... cheap? I'll give it a few more hours and flog it if I still feel tired of it.

Comment

Yeah it's basically far cry 3 with mountains and elephants. That isn't to say it's not great and decent looking on next gen but it does feel like it was rushed out with little changed under the hood.

Comment

Just read a brilliant description of this - "vomiting icons on a map" haha!

Comment

Buying all the treasure maps early was a big mistake...I just felt like I was a cleaner tidying up the place. So I stopped playing

That being said...if you want to help me trophy whore the co op trophies let me know

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                              Started this last night, and in feeling pretty disappointed.

It feels like I'm playing the exact same game as before, with very small additions. The menus, upgrades- all of it- feels exactly the same, even the antagonist feels eerily similar.

It's done the usual AC way of doing things of just making everything bigger, more collectables, more guns, bigger map- but it feels like a complete retread. Obviously I expected a this to an extent, being a sequel from Ubisoft and all, but didn't think it would feel quite so... cheap? I'll give it a few more hours and flog it if I still feel tired of it.
                              I loved FC3 but I felt the same with this...to begin with. As I kept playing I just got hooked all over again and for me it's one of the best games of 2014. It's easily the better game of the two latter Far Cry's, though the differences are indeed minor.

Because I know the mechanics from FC3 I knew which parts of the game were complete fluff and which were important, by focusing on these I found myself wasting far less time doing busy work. (yes, technically almost the whole game is busy work, but some parts like the collectables are a complete waste of time). I've not even been looking at the side quests unless they give me something I need, like a skill unlock or Signature weapon unlock.

Comment

I've not played much recently due to frustrations with one of the northern belltowers.

Comment

Working...
                                X