No announcement yet.

Hotline Miami 2 (PC, PS3/4/Vita crossbuy) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah finding that too, the game seems to have crossed into unfair territory where as in the first game I always felt death was my fault. I don't feel it is as polished either, which is a real unfortunate surprise.

Still, turn it up loud and get a clean run through a level and it's still amazingly addictive.

Comment

Getting towards the end of the game and love the story and aesthetics but being shot off screen is getting too much. Later levels have loads of enemies, many with guns and you can't see where they are. Combined with the random way the enemies behave, this is seriously anger inducing in an unfair way.

Comment

Game is becoming more frustrating than fun, totally agree with you Chopemon. A lot of positives about this but the first game was better.

Comment

I have no idea what's going on.

Comment

Looks great, soundtrack is incredible, it's frustrating as hell to play.

This coming out actually forced me to get of my arse and finish the first game but the first really shows this up as a poor follow up.

Haven't been this disappointed with a sequel since Halo 2.

Comment

Trying to push through to the end but some of the levels are huge, full of enemies with guns and just unfair. Gruelling.

Comment

After my initial excitement I'm starting to get fatigued too, for the same reasons that Chopeman and TeddyMeow and others have pointed out. How many levels are there? I'm

in the sewers after the first jungle mission

ps.: I've asked Charles to re-set the poll, which I set up wrong and clearly isn't helping... :-/
                pps.: thanks Charles
                Last edited by Golgo; 16-03-2015, 16:53.

Comment

Poll reset to 10

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                    Haven't been this disappointed with a sequel since Halo 2.
                    I thought Perfect Dark Zero would have been wearing that crown for all eternity until Bayonetta 2 turned up.

Comment

Yep, my gushing fanboyism of page one is over. Started very well but the game just gets worse the further you get into it...in direct proportion to the size of the levels and, with it, the frequency of off-screen insta-deaths. You could probably render this as a mathematical equation. Took me an hour to complete one level yesterday (12 out of 25), and the only reason I didn't rage-quit was the lack of mid-level checkpoints would've meant a start-over. Hardly the best incentive to keep playing. I'm amazed at how they've messed this up. Finding more bugs too, e.g. spinning dogs (very common). Chainsaw swan guy can kill heavies through walls but is then pulled through the wall to the other room, leaving partner behind. The idea of putting you 'in control' of two characters at once (one with a gun, one melee) is also bewildering. It doesn't work. The trailing partner usually gets stuck on scenery. The only way through these levels, I've found, is to attract attention by firing, back into a hiding place, and chainsaw enemy when they come running. Don't buy this game, people. It's broken.

Comment

Bought it today and played a couple of levels and not noticed any of the issues noted in this thread but I'm sure they are there

It took me a while to enjoy the original because it is rage inducing and the only way through some levels is the choice of the right mask and I managed to get all the masks

My biggest problem with both games is the targeting system, even if enemies are baring down in you if you try and lock on the closest enemy might be in a room not close to you and he will be locked on leaving you facing the wrong direction

Music is smashing though

Comment

I can't figure out how to get the hang of the swan guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            Don't even try to 'control' them. Mash both triggers and run into the middle of big groups and hope for the best. The gun dude will automatically pick up another gun (if one's available) when he's out of ammo. If there are no big groups ripe for slaughter: hide somewhere, fire the gun randomly, and chainsaw whoever comes running. You can chainsaw heavies through walls (bug). On one occasion (level in the low/mid teens, I think) you'll need gun dude to pick off a 'sniper' out of sight on other side of map. Beyond that, success with this pair is largely down to chance, as the trailing gunner will usually get stuck on scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              I'm surprised you're playing this after the furore over the implied sexual violence in the demo.

What happened to all that in the end? Was the offending scene cut or reworked?
                              I'm guessing they left it in and just accepted it's banned in Australia.

Just looked at Wiki and the developer said Aussies should pirate it!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                I'm surprised you're playing this after the furore over the implied sexual violence in the demo.

What happened to all that in the end? Was the offending scene cut or reworked?
                                I'm guessing they left it in and just accepted it's banned in Australia.

Just looked at Wiki and the developer said Aussies should pirate it!
                                It's there right at the beginning. They worm around the controversy by emphasizing that chapter is 'just a film', etc. Plus there's an option on starting the game to 'skip graphic sexual content'. All round: a lame set of compromises over a shoddy PR move.

Comment

Working...
                                X