Hotline Miami 2 (PC, PS3/4/Vita crossbuy) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotline Miami 2 (PC, PS3/4/Vita crossbuy) review

Here it is: the follow up to the well-regarded, break-out indie darling.

The basic game mechanics are exactly the same: top-down ultra violent beat/shoot/maim-em-up in which you clear floors of enemies before proceeding, trying to rack up combos in fastest time. Enemies are still ultra quick, never miss and it's a one-hit-kill back to the level start. Levels are larger and if you play cautiously and sneak around this can be frustrating, as long build-ups can be wasted as you're blasted through a window from way across the map. It's best to try to find that sweet spot where you're pushing on quite boldly, racking up combos, improvising with different weapons, and going for speed bonus. When you do this the game is exhilirating, in my view. Judicious use of a very simple and useful lock-on (don't over-use, I'd say) plus a zoom function combine well with the super-responsive twin stick controls to make this quite manageable, but deaths remain frequent - and hilarious.

The first game saw you playing as one or two characters, who answered a phone and then went to kill Russians. There is more of a focus on story this time, though, with more dialogue/cut-scenes between missions, more playable characters. Some reviewers have whinged about this, saying it dilutes the purity of the original. I don't agree. The gameplay is still there, there looks to be more of it, and the dialogue/cut-scenes are skippable. I think they're great as they give you various viewpoints into the events, people trying to figure out who is responsible for all the mayhem and why, including

a police officer, journalist/author, etc.

. Some nice gameplay wrinkles when you play as different characters too, e.g.

the writer is a weirdly conflicted 'pacifist' so won't use knives or guns, but when you do some hand-to-hand with him and get a kill he gets a kind of blood lust on, pumps up like Rambo/the Hulk and can start using more and more powerful weapons. So you need to 'up' your blood lust to get to use those weapons.

None of the plot makes sense -

Is it really happening? Is it a conventional horror film? Is it an underground snuff film? Is it a madman serial killer who merely believes he's in a film? etc.

- and I doubt that it is intended to, but as an insight into this disgusting world it's effective, disorienting and unsettling, which I suspect is the main intention here.

Aesthetically and in terms of overall design the game is fabulous. Sprite graphics are wonderfully detailed and have the same feverish, over-saturated look of the previous game. Combat and death animations are gruesome as hell. Guts and brains spill everywhere, injured enemies twitch and convulse and try to crawl away before you finish them. Even more gory than the original. Much greater variety in environments than the original too.

I've read there's a straight-up military combat section but I've not found it yet

. And the music is just out of the world, an unhinged psychedelic combination of rock, americana and electronica, brilliantly adding to the woozy, sickened atmosphere of the game. Even the pause menu is a thing of retro beauty and wonder.

I love it, but then I was a great fan of the original. If you didn't like the original, stay away. There's nothing new to bring you in.

EDIT: messed up the poll, sorry! ADMIN?!?!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Binary poll, like it. Thanks for the impressions - really looking forward to playing this!

Comment

^ The poll-format was not exactly my intention lol, but I'm happy for it to stay like that unless management objects.

Comment

I can reset the poll if you want. PM me if you do.

Comment

Nah that's OK Charles, I quite like it now. Let's consider it an experiment. No sitting on the fence on this one.

Comment

Only played the first 2 levels but like the first HM which is only a good thing. Adoring the title screen music as well

Comment

It's out? What happened to setting a release date and telling people about that release date and then advertising that the release date is upon us? Or did that happen and I was looking at something else?

I'm away for a few days but will definitely pick this up on Vita. Hated the orginal and then it clicked and I loved it.

Comment

Dogg, they marketed it (and release date) with one of those crummy, teasing viral efforts that used to be fashionable: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...wering-machine
                Last edited by Golgo; 12-03-2015, 22:37. Reason: it's crummy not cummy :-/

Comment

It's PC only but there is a new UK company creating boxed special editions of games.
                  Hotline Miami 1&2 is one of them. (Papers, Please is the other)
                  You get steam codes for both games as soon as you pay.

Hotline Miami on DVD & Steam
                  Hotline Miami 2 Digital Special Edition on DVD & Steam
                  Custom DVD case & packaging by Dennaton
                  C90 mix tape by Dennaton
                  Trade paperback of the Hotline Miami 2 comic by Dayjob Studio
                  Pack of 5 ?Cameo? trading cards designed by Dennaton
                  50 Blessings spraypaint stencil
                  Custom art card by Dennaton

Still no soundtrack as there is loads of licensing issues, as the soundtrack is from multiple artists/labels.

Comment

I think you can buy the soundtrack via Steam, can't you? I'd be tempted...

Comment

if not, just pirate it

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                        Dogg, they marketed it (and release date) with one of those cummy, teasing viral efforts that used to be fashionable: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...wering-machine
                        Ah, that explains how I missed it then.

As for the soundtrack, they made the entire soundtrack to the first available on soundcloud and I think individual artists also included them on eps (well Perturbator did). I had heard there would be a vinyl release of this one so I expect a soundtrack in some form.

Comment

Pushed on a bit more, encountered a slight control glitch

at the beginning of the jungle warfare section. Aim kept locking on to invisible centre

. Fixed with a level 'rewind and didn't occur again. Also had a go at the

section wher you control two dudes at once, one with gun and the other with chainsaw

. Controlling that is a bit like trying to pat your head and rub your tummy; only way through I found was to run and mash, which led to total carnage.

Comment

so far i am a bit disappointed, it's basically more of the same but with slightly bigger levels and much higher difficulty. actually the difficulty combined with a lack of mid level checkpoints is really annoying. i don't see myself finishing the game if they wont add a checkpoint system.

Comment

It's true you can get shot from off screen in these big levels, Uli, was quite frustrated myself with this last night. But you can do the same back. Lock on gives you an arrow that might point to an offscreen enemy, and you can actually hit them 'blind' like this. It's a bit bizarre, tbh.

Comment

Working...
                              X