Bloodborne review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hudson View Post
    Did get killed a lot trying too take to many mobs on or double fatty takedowns though.
    Have you mastered the Zandatsu yet (Riposte)? You want to be farming the two fatties for 4x health pots each pass.

Also try going into the house there, you will unlock another route.

Comment

I suppose that's true enough, but once you work out that the game favours aggressive play, it'll become much easier. Instead of waiting to be attacked like with the Souls games, Bloodborne will reward you for showing no mercy. The riposte is so over powered, it's stupid. With the vast majority of enemies, you just need to get the first hit in. First hit=death for either you or the baddies. I think the thing which is hindering people is that they are treating Bloodborne as though it's a Souls game. Switch over to full attack mode and watch the souls mount up rapidly.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
        I suppose that's true enough, but once you work out that the game favours aggressive play, it'll become much easier. Instead of waiting to be attacked like with the Souls games, Bloodborne will reward you for showing no mercy. The riposte is so over powered, it's stupid. With the vast majority of enemies, you just need to get the first hit in. First hit=death for either you or the baddies. I think the thing which is hindering people is that they are treating Bloodborne as though it's a Souls game. Switch over to full attack mode and watch the souls mount up rapidly.
        id agree most enemy's will die form one well timed combo.

joe's playing it differently to everyone else, he seems to be rushing to the end game and has admitted to, skipping past enemies, skipping bosses, actively avoiding certain enemies and not fully exploring.

by not doing this he's more speed running than actually playing the game, exploring takes a massive amount of time, and if you don't explore you can miss out massive bits of the game and really useful weapons and armour, i think it helps that he finds it so easy but 90% of players wont be finishing this in anywhere near the 9-10 hours he's quoted.

I'm up to Old Yharnam and probably put about 15 hours in so far. top tip for old yharnam,

certain enemies in this area are scared of fire so if you have your torch equiped instead of your gun the beast men things will cower from the flames making them an easy combo take-down.

Really enjoying this took me a bit of time to get into it and I'm taking my time and exploring, it really is a great game, punishing and hard, but a game that rewards patience and exploration.
        Last edited by Lebowski; 30-03-2015, 09:40.

Comment

The only area I didn't visit was the top of Cathedral Ward. By the time I had the key for it, I forgot where to use it. I avoided the executioners, but everyone else I took down. If I died, I would just run straight back there to collect my souls. It's pointless taking on more waves and then dying again.

I think I'm the only person playing it the way From intended, which is exactly why I'm finding it easy.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I'm finding with new enemies that I need to embrace them in order to study their attacks and riposte window. That's the unsettling thing about any new foe that appears, you can't just pussy out. And yes, they are progressively becoming more and more unsettling as the game goes on. Trying to fight two of them sack-men at the same time is pure suicide.

But yeah, of course, after you know their patterns you go all out.

For new players it's also worth mentioning that you should rattle off a blast or two mid-combo against foes with higher amounts of HP, even if the riposte is not possible. This will buy back a little bit of stamina whilst knocking them out of their attack sequence for a split second.
            Last edited by dataDave; 30-03-2015, 09:48.

Comment

I've played dark souls but only for a few hours, what I didnt like was that I never knew if I was going in the right direction and as it could be very hard to move through sections I found it frustrating. Is this game the same?

Comment

It's the same. It's fabulous. It's terrifying. It can be tough.

The first genuinely scary game I've played (I've not played Silent Hill 2 yet).

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  Have you mastered the Zandatsu yet (Riposte)? You want to be farming the two fatties for 4x health pots each pass.

Also try going into the house there, you will unlock another route.
                  Is riposte the back stab type thing? I worked out how to easily take down fatties by interrupting their attack with a bullet and then follow up with R1 for a satisfying bloody skewering.
                  I think the time I've sank into beginning was figuring out the combat. I think I can run yarnham now close to untouched whilst killing the mobs.

Comment

The only area I didn't visit was the top of Cathedral Ward. By the time I had the key for it, I forgot where to use it. I avoided the executioners, but everyone else I took down. If I died, I would just run straight back there to collect my souls. It's pointless taking on more waves and then dying again.

I think I'm the only person playing it the way From intended, which is exactly why I'm finding it easy.
                    I doubt it, I think From would be upset if someone finished it in nine hours, was watching a preview vid recently from a guy who had played it at From, he burned thorough the first bit thinking they would be impressed and they said "Awww he diden't die we need to make this bit harder" There is no way you have found all the secrets and explored each area in a nine hour play-though unless you where using a guide.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                      I worked out how to easily take down fatties by interrupting their attack with a bullet and then follow up with R1 for a satisfying bloody skewering.
                      That's the ticket.

Comment

Can someone tell me what happens if

Use the music box during the Father Gascoigne fight?
                        Apparently it has his name on it, but I've killed him already.

Comment

@Goeman -

It reminds him of the past, so he staggers around covering his ears. Giving you time to stun/visceral him!

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                            I doubt it, I think From would be upset if someone finished it in nine hours, was watching a preview vid recently from a guy who had played it at From, he burned thorough the first bit thinking they would be impressed and they said "Awww he diden't die we need to make this bit harder" There is no way you have found all the secrets and explored each area in a nine hour play-though unless you where using a guide.
                            I said ten hours, not nine. Now if you look at the trophy list, you'll see that there are only three secret areas in the game. One of them has zero enemies, one has enemies who are so easily killed, it offers hardly any challenge, and the third I have not been to, but I can't see that adding ten hours to a playthrough. The only things I've not discovered are items, which is evident from the trophy list. Oh and that door I spoke of previously. Whenever you get in a lift, turn around. Many of them have secret exits to places.

From themselves have said that the game is to be played hastily and aggressively. Not only is the world WAY smaller than Demon's and Dark, but 90% of the enemies offer zero challenge due to the riposte. If you play how the game intends you to play, you make massive progress in next to no time at all. There is absolutely no point at all taking the softly softly approach. You are the hunter, not the hunted. I'm inclined to think that you are taking too long to play myself. There isn't that much area to explore at all. I don't know why it's taking you so long (outside of boss fights). It's a given that the exploration isn't going to be anywhere near the level of the Souls games. There is absolutely no upgrading of armor to be done, and weapon upgrades follow a linear path. What exactly are you trying to find that is taking all of this time? All you need to do is find the boss, kill it, then find the next one. The journeying in between takes seconds as you can mow down enemies as though you are a God.

I can see a three-hour run being entirely possible. This game is tiny.

I suggest that anybody does not play Bloodborne as though it's a Souls game. It isn't, and it should not be played as though it is. That will only make for an even harder and more punishing experience.
                            Last edited by J0e Musashi; 30-03-2015, 10:52.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Is there a speed run trophy? I'm going to be all over speed running this eventually. Not felt inclined to play a game in that fashion since Resident Evil 2.

Comment

There isn't. The trophies just require that you play the game. None of them are challenging in the way that Demon's was.
                                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X