No announcement yet.

The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started this yesterday after months of dithering and distraction with some enjoyable PS+ freebies, and my word it's fantastic. Put it on at 9 just to get a feel for it and peeled myself off at 2 a.m. Totally gripped me straight from the off. The characterization and writing and voice acting are fabulous, really personal, idiosyncratic, earthy and 'real'. Also very much enjoying the combat. Can't see any issue with the controls/character or indeed horse movement that the internet has been carping about. The RPG elements seem nicely rational and streamlined, too. I love the way Geralt can do his own alchemy/potions etc. without having to faff about with finding benches (a la Skyrim, Dragon Age), and 'pinning' stuff that you want to craft in order to be able to keep tabs on the ingredients/items required is brilliant. Makes the crafting systems of Dragon Age Inquisition look totally clumsy. Also the game looks and sounds incredible. There are maybe only one or two more games I plan to get this year, so unless the quality nosedives or it gets too repetitive I'm going to take my time with this one.

Comment

You'll be in love with the Witcher 3 for a very long time. I very really go back to big world games but this one I couldn't pull myself away. Almost 400 hours play time is a testimate to that. I can't wait for the new DLC mission and world packs. They boast over another 100 hours worth of play!

Comment

Still plugging away at this myself, a very enjoyable game. The script and cutscenes are really in a different class to the majority of games. Unfortunately I've beaten all the Gwent quests now shame as I now have a killer deck. I'd like to see an online Gwent battle mode as an expansion, I'd certainly buy it.

What are people's loadouts? I've respecced with a Potion of Clearing to focus primarily on sword skills and the accumulation of adrenaline points, with my only sign points placed into Delusion for dialogues. Level 25 now and well into Act 2.

Gwent is pretty simple by the way Yakumo, not hard to learn at all. There must be plenty of guides and tips lists online - I'd also begin by beating everyone in White Orchard, and buying any cards you come across from vendors. Then move onto playing everyone in Velen. Merchants are pretty easy, smiths are a little tougher and innkeeps are probably the hardest of the regular Gwent players you come across. In terms of the Gwent quests,Velen is the easiest, then Novigrad then Skellige.

Generally Gwent players are best in Skellige so start in White Orchard and Velen.

It's massively satisfying and fun when you get into it, I must nearly have completed the quest to acquire every card.

Plus by not playing Gwent you are missing out on the fun High Stakes quest in Novigrad need to build your deck up with some hero cards (acquired via the Gwent quests e.g. Old Pals, Skellige Style etc) before you're allowed to do it though.
        Last edited by wakka; 21-08-2015, 12:34.

Comment

I want to buy gwent cards but I'm so poor I can barely afford a piece of cheese. Money is hard to come by in this game.

Comment

Only at the start. You'll have tons soon enough. Word of advice: focus on Witcher Gear. One flaw of the game is that there is no real point to any other loot. I believe you can get the diagrams for the first set (Viper I think) in White Orchard, where you start out. Get that crafted and you'll be well on your way. It's cheaper than buying gear, too.

Don't worry too much about not being able to buy Gwent cards initially. You can always return to White Orchard to get the ones you missed. I would get started on Gwent as soon as you can though, both because it's a massively fun sidegame and because it's easier to play people as you go along (the game does not keep track of who you have beaten at Gwent outside of the specific Gwent quests).

Everyone you beat will give you a card (if you beat them a second time, you just get a random item). The people you battle in the Gwent quests will give you hero cards.

Comment

Ta, Wakka. Did tutorial game with the scholar in the first pub White Orchard, then went back for another game. Really enjoyed it.

Comment

I didn't care for Gwent much but it certainly contributes to how much depth the dev team was willing to make for the game.

Anyone try the NG+ yet?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Gwent is pretty simple by the way Yakumo, not hard to learn at all.
                  I really must check out the guides as it's the only part of the game I've not bothered with. Every other section I've been over with a fine tooth comb

Comment

Originally posted by danholo View Post
                    I didn't care for Gwent much but it certainly contributes to how much depth the dev team was willing to make for the game.

Anyone try the NG+ yet?
                    Me. Used it to clean up all of the "?" areas on the map. Only about 70 left to do in the Isles of Skel'

Comment

NG+ mid game?

I thought NG+ was just released. Don't know the details, as might be evident.

Comment

I thought NG+ meant New Game +, you know like when you can continue with all your gear after completing the game.

Comment

Got an annoying glitch, just cropped up in early
                          quest. Basically, entire left half of the HUD just disappeared, so I can't see health, stamina or item, potion, bomb loadout. Restarted earlier save but keeps happening. HUD options remain 'on' in options menu. Any advice?

Comment

Hmm, very odd. I've not seen this problem myself. Are you playing the PC version?

Comment

No, PS4 version.

Comment

It can be glitchy at times - I stepped out of a boat yesterday and suddenly I was 30ft in the air and fell to my death. Actually the falling is a real pain; I've died so many times because of slipping off edges and the health falling to zero even from modest heights.

Comment

Working...
                                X