Homesick review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homesick review

Just out is Homesick, I have a bit of a soft spot for what are generally referred to as walking simulators. This isn't really one although there are no enemies or anything like that. Homesick begins with the player in control of a slow moving lead character who goes unnamed. You initially have 2 or three small apartments and a broom cupboard to look around in. The only item you have on you is half a childs drawing of them and some blue flowers.

With all language in the game translated into a code language you wander around looking for items that will help you to reach new areas as you gradually open up the buildings floor. Each area has its own puzzle of sorts to work out with the ultimate aim each time being to find a way to water some died out flowers which then bloom into the blue flowers you have in the drawing. There isn't much to it and it's a very somber title with almost everything in a washed out grey colouring. Notes from the buildings previous and long gone occupants are scattered around but it isn't until towards the end that you find a way to translate all the notes into english and find out more about why the world you're in is the way it is.

Visually, it's a very nice looking little indie game even though the repeated grey corridors can be a bit weary on the eyes. Each area tends to have one really nice looking spot to it. The only break from this is the very brief sections which are kind of like nightmares. Once you've watered the flowers, the character begins to yawn and you're next task is to head to the nearest bed. When you do this, the game switches to its night section where you have to get to the door which leads to the next area without staying still too long and by staying in the light. It's very hard to fail these sections and if you do you simply emerge back in your room where you can lie down and try again.

At the moment I think the game is PC only and to be honest, its rough ?10 price tag is still on the side of being on the high side. If this type of game is your kind of thing it's still probably best waiting until it pops up in a sale as according to my Steam account my playtime upon completion racked up at a mere 2 hours. It was an interesting one to play to break up the usual bigger titles but once done its tale lacks the punch of Dear Esther etc to stay with you.

0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
Working...
X