No announcement yet.

Yoshi's Woolly World review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking my way into World 4 now and this is easily the best Yoshi title since Island but on the same token something about it feels very samey so I'm starting to feel a sense of boredom settle in. I'm going to finish it, doing it in more bitesized doses. Good, but not wow.

Comment

I bloody love it! Just as good as Yoshis Island back on snes.
      The girlfriend loves it too, it must be special

Comment

I've also 100%'d this now

Baby Bowser in the "Boss Tent" took some doing!

I'd give it a 7/10, it's a perfectly crafted and very charming game, I have a lot of love for it, but it doesn't really push the envelope and the gameplay is NSMBU-levels of engaging. As a whole it probably is as good of a game as Yoshi's Island but a 9/10 by 1995 standards isn't a 9/10 in 2015.

Comment

^^what?

Comment

Originally posted by Pikate View Post
            a 9/10 by 1995 standards isn't a 9/10 in 2015.
            Okay then.

Comment

Well games have progressed but Yoshi's Woolly World hasn't. NSMBU I enjoy/rate as highly as it's NES/SNES counterparts since it pushes the boundaries of what I expect of a Mario game, it has wall jumps, triple jumps, inventive new power-ups, challenge modes. Yoshi's Woolly World on the other hand, while being as solid and as polished as Yoshi's Island does nothing new, it's a fresh aesthetic on a tired mechanic, playing it feels like picking up an NES/SNES game. That's fine for a Virtual Console game or an HD Remake which have prestige and nostalgic charm to prop them up but from a ground-up full-priced title in 2015 it's not something that leaves me wowed.
              Last edited by Pikate; 15-07-2015, 16:16.

Comment

Yoshi being a safe Nintendo title does not take away from the sheer quality and class of the original game. Class design remains class. That's why Super Mario World remains a ten. It's still the pinnacle.

Comment

dataDave is gonna metaphorically bash your head in for dissing NSMB.
                  Last edited by speedlolita; 15-07-2015, 17:11. Reason: Vularity. :p

Comment

I didn't say that, I think Yoshi's Island is a 9/10 today (as it would have been in 1995). 'Island' has prestige, there's retro/nostalgic charm in playing it and playing that game you realise how in relation to it's contemporaries it really stood out. Yoshi's Woolly World however wasn't around in 1995, objectively there's no real reason it isn't as good of a game as 'Island' but 'Island' already exists and has done for 20 years, 'Island' covers those bases. As a 2015 game Woolly World doesn't innovate or push boundaries like 'Island' did. Woolly World doesn't even borrow anything such as clever rewind mechanics from Braid or play with 3D space like Fez it hardly does anything that brings the formula upto date. Gameplay-wise it certainly doesn't do anything SNES games didn't, Woolly World is a dinosaur, granted it's an adorable green amigurumi dinoaur, but it's a dinosaur none the less. - 7/10
                    Last edited by Pikate; 15-07-2015, 17:17.

Comment

Is it really as good as Yoshi's Island? I was never a big fan of any of the 2d Mario games but i really enjoyed Yoshi's Island and felt the level design was stronger than any of the other 2d Mario games. Also loved the bosses too. How is the pace of Yoshi's Wolly World as i found that was the only thing i could criticize about Island was it was a tad slow.

Comment

Just bought this for ?26,looking forward to this after playing Yoshi's Island on my 3DS today

Comment

Sam, it's not as good as Yoshi's Island in my opinion, but it's worth playing. Pacing is fine, starts off easy and gets annoyingly hard late on in the game - particularly the unlockable special and boss rush stages. Much like Toad Tracker, it's short but very sweet. Not a keeper by any means, but it had me smiling a lot.

Comment

Cool, i will definitely check it out.

Comment

Love the graphics on thisOnly on world 2-2 but really enjoying it.

Comment

Picked this up in the Amazon Prime sale and so far loving it and its looks and sounds amazing for a Wii U title

Comment

Working...
                                X