My NaMiio Review (Amiibo Backup/Restore) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My NaMiio Review (Amiibo Backup/Restore) review

Note: I don't sell these, just a humble reviewer...

NaMiio

Review by: Legendary Wizball

Many thanks to Sam at www.namiio.com for providing the review unit.

What is it?

The NaMiio is a USB RFID card reader. It allows an end user to backup data from
    any Amiibo figurine and restore it to a NaMiio token - essentially a separate RFID
    chip. The device and accompanying software functions successfully with every
    Amiibo released so far, including the Amiibo / Skylander hybrids that shipped with
    Skylander Superchargers for Nintendo platforms.

What is included for your USD $65.00?

-NaMiio USB RFID card reader
    -one metre mini-USB to USB cable
    -two NaMiio tokens
    -sheet of token inserts

Setup:

The NaMiio is very easy to setup and install:

1. First, download the latest version of the software from www.namiio.com.

2. Next, download the latest version of the extras file. This contains the unique ID for
    all Amiibo figurines currently available. Whilst not essential, this file will allow the
    NaMiio to correctly identify the figurine that has been written to the token. To install
    this file, simply place it inside the NaMiio folder.

3. Connect the NaMiio to your computer using the supplied USB cable. The NaMiio
    officially supports Windows 7, 8 and 10. I managed to install and run the software
    successfully using Windows XP after downloading some additional software from
    Microsoft when prompted to do so. There is no MacOS X version - although the
    NaMiio functions as expected using Parallels software.

Using the NaMiio: Backup and Restore

1. Place a Amiibo figurine on the NaMiio.

2. Select BACKUP and save the data on your figurine as a .BIN file.

3. Place a token on the NaMiio.

4. Select RESTORE and choose the .BIN file to be written to the token.

Using the NaMiio: Powersaves (Cheat Function)

1. Place an Amiibo figurine or token on the NaMiio.

2. Select APPLY CHEAT and then select the game this Amiibo or token will be used
    in. Currently, Super Smash Bros WiiU, Super Smash Bros 3DS and Mario Party 10
    are supported. You can also reset the Amiibo or token.

3. Depending on the game chosen, you can then select the type of cheat to apply (for
    example special moves in Super Smash Bros WiiU).

4. Select YES when asked to CONFIRM CHEAT SELECTION.

Who is the NaMiio for?

The NaMiio will appeal mainly to collectors for two reasons. Firstly, you can backup
    a figurine?s data and restore it to a token without needing to use the toy itself. The
    figurine can then remain on a shelf in pristine condition. Sadly, almost all Amiibo
    need to be removed from their boxes to be read by the NaMiio as well as the WiiU
    and 3DS due to a magnetic strip on their base. The sole exception is the recently
    released Shovel Knight Amiibo. Secondly, should the RFID chip inside any figurine
    fail, you can simply restore that character?s data to a token and continue to use them.
    Some will undoubtedly dismiss this device as merely a method of pirating Amiibo
    figurines - essentially, downloading the required .BIN files from the internet without
    needing to purchase the original toy. This assumption misses the point with regard to
    the Amiibo franchise. Much of the fun and enjoyment in this series comes from
    purchasing and displaying the physical toys. To simply use a token in place of the real
    figurine removes much of the excitement from the experience.

Verdict:

The NaMiio is a fantastic piece of hardware, especially for dedicated Amiibo
    collectors. The device operates flawlessly and the software user interface is both
    simple to use and uncluttered.

Pros:

-easy setup
    -the software is being updated and improved regularly
    -the software is simple to use and the interface is uncluttered

Cons:

-relatively expensive at USD $65.00 each
    -only one Amiibo is supported per token
    -additional tokens cannot be purchased (at time of writing)

For those interested, I will be receiving the competing product, formerly the Amiiqo now the N2Elite, as a review unit shortly. I will post up my comparisons here.

Comment

Working...
    X