Biohazard 0/ Resident Evil 0: HD Remaster review [PS4/XBoxOne/PC/PS3/360]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biohazard 0/ Resident Evil 0: HD Remaster review [PS4/XBoxOne/PC/PS3/360]

For ?15.99 a remaster of 14 year old Game Cube game can be yours. For me seems reasonable enough and I still own the Japanese GC vers and remember enjoying it a lot. Played the first hour or two of this impressions below. Previously finished the GC version.

Over the GC version there are tons of costumes to buy if you wish, which can be changed at anytime, in the personal part of the inventory, with some looking really cool like the N64 first costume and Resident Evil Remake Costume. Like RE: Remake HD this has alternative controls schemes with Tank controls Type C being my favourites which tries to mimic the GC controls for RE0 it appears. RE: Remake also tried this for the GC controls on tank controls Type C. Regards controls I have not used the new analogue Alternate control on RE0, as I found you cannot move backwards with this without turning around, although I have heard if you are in Alternate mode the D pad will serve as Tank controls if needed.

As well as this is a gallery that unlocks the more you play I guess. Wesker mode can be unlocked if the game is finished which envolves Wesker as a playable chacter.

The game generally holds up really well character models are quite impressive as well as details on enemies. Background while still the flat static non 3D old style have some 3D effects added swinging lights etc. With this RE0 HD Remaster is looking better lighting wise than Resident Evil: Remake HD Remaster, as well as being more consistent through out. The RE0 HD Remaster has really great lighting and as Eurogamer said the depth of field effect on PS4 is in cut scenes but not in the PC vers but with the PC version running at 60FPS while PS4 vers runs at 30FPS. Both are identical besides(not seen XBoxOne vers).

This is more old skool Resident Evil minus item chests with added item drop system. The character zapping system works really well, when swapping between Rebecca and Billy in Resident Evil 0. This is also a New mechanic along with item dropping mentioned above.

I'd say RE0 has lots of atmosphere as to be expected and a few jumps plus the usual puzzle fair. Sometimes the item swapping between Rebecca and Billy can become tedious on occasion but being an old style Resident Evil this is sort of par for the course.

Aiming is the usual fair while not being accurate is fun and you can usually at least hit the target. Movement in tank mode is still a bit clumsy but you get used to it.

Really enjoying this the Install of the game actually has a drop down to a website that shows all the enemy types and what Capcom have down to enhance the game modes added which was really ingesting to see. Cannot wait to get further although I was reminded from the website mentioned that some enemy types can be a bit tricky.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

My physical copy should be shipping today. Give me time to do my last run through on REmake for the platinum.

Be warned, what you've said about controls apparently isn't true. It doesn't match remakes control scheme and has got run mapped to circle instead of square, and there's no control map to change it back. Patch required!

Also, annoyed at the DLC costumes. With all the release hype about them, not once did they say they were ?8 for the lot, and indicated they would be unlockables in the disc copy- nickel and diming once again.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
      Be warned, what you've said about controls apparently isn't true. It doesn't match remakes control scheme and has got run mapped to circle instead of square, and there's no control map to change it back. Patch required!
      Cheers for patch info. Sorry I was meant to mean Type C tank controls seem to match Game Cube's controls in tank mode regards button layout. Corrected above as I did not explain it too well what I meant. Are you using Type A tank controls MrKirnov on RE: Remake? I have not used these.

It appeared Type C on RE0: HD Remaster tried to mimick GC controls. Ye probably does not map as well as RE: Remake's controls compared to Game Cube RE: Remake. Strangely RE0 on PS4 seems to have map on a different button, not sure but think this is Z button on Game Cube. Which would expect to be L1 on PS4 but R2 is used appears an odd choice.

Below Game FAQs Game Cube controls. I basically tried to map to these as close as possible. Think Type C was the closet looking.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/198460-resident-evil-0/faqs/23626

Also, annoyed at the DLC costumes. With all the release hype about them, not once did they say they were ?8 for the lot, and indicated they would be unlockables in the disc copy- nickel and diming once again.
      Regards costume ?8 agreed is far too steep price wise. I got x2 free with pre order which was not bothered about and bought the RE N64 one and RE: Remake one I think it is for ?2.49p
      Last edited by JU!; 20-01-2016, 14:21.

Comment

Yeah, type 1 tank controls for me. Wanted run on square, basically. Not one option has it even though it was the default on REmake, and historic RE games :/

I didn't get any DLC as you don't get any preorder bonuses for a physical copy- stupidly- so I have to spend ?8 if I want them all

Comment

Seems weird there was no run option on square for RE: Remake. Also odd no custom option for controls on both games. Totally odd did not realize B was run on Game Cube I managed to find a screen shot this time thankfully.

Ye to be honest the ?8 costumes don't think all of them are brilliant some are great others a bit meh. On the subject of this I think I saw with the Origins Collection they are giving away some weird Amazon exclusive outfits with Amazon orders(don't think these can even be bought!). Apparently these don't appear until closer to realease date.

For Resident Evil: Origins Collection on the PlayStation 4, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Pre-order costumes?".
          Last edited by JU!; 20-01-2016, 16:45.

Comment

Run on Square? Are the western controls different? X is run and Square is shoot in Biohazard.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Run is square and x is shoot in standard controls, yeah.

Comment

Picked this up for the 360 yesterday. Looks amazing even on last gen hardware. I actually like the new control Capcom have implemented on these Resident Evil remasters, so I'll stick with that. A very good game, though I prefer the RE 1 Remake. That whole train level is great.

Comment

This game has a weird button layout but I got used to it almost instantly. I think I stuck with C.

I beat it yesterday, and I think Zero is really fun still. Its an underrated RE game. In fact, it moved up on the ranks for me. I put it a notch above CV. I have one issue with this game though. Its Item management. Surprise. Its bad. No boxes make no sense. You're dumping items at main halls or save rooms. The difference is that you have to manually transfer them each time you open up a new area. This whole premise would be fine if the developers had given the characters 8 slots, and 1 slot for heavy weapons.

Costume change is rather cool. I only found out how to do it near the end but the ability to change it on the fly is a good idea. Wesker mode is sort of fun, he even appears in cutscenes but with Billy's voice over and animations which looks very odd. But he is completely OP, I think I one shot the scorpion with a full charge attack. Possessed Rebecca looks nice too.

Comment

Platinum trophy gotten on REmake, so onto this.

Enjoying it- it's always been the Desi game I've only played a few times so it feels very new- I remember nothing of it tbh. It's got some really great ideas, it's just they aren't always thought through. The item management is a pain, mostly due to the hook shot, Shotgun and Grenage launcher taking up two slots. Everything else is would be manageable if it weren't for that. Rebecca does take too little damage, making her parts of the game a chore, and meaning you always favour billy.

It just some bad design choices too, like earlier, Rebecca picks up the grenade launcher, but if you don't give it to Billy before the boss fight in the next room, you can't get it back for the fight- meaning a reload may be required if he hasn't got enough on him. Some brilliant ideas but not thought through enough.

I am enjoying it though, however the Platinum in this one looks like more of a pain in the ass.

Comment

Can anyone confirm if the Japanese release (specifically PS3) has English subtitles?

Comment

Got 80% trophies on this now. Just Wesker mode, hard mode and no heal runs left.

Be warned, the kill all enemies trophy in leech hunter is bugged and I have to do the whole thing again.

Just ran through the game with no saves in 2hr 20 mins- never realised it could be that short- I always considered it the longest Resi game.

Comment

Got 80% trophies on this now. Just Wesker mode, hard mode and no heal runs left.

Be warned, the kill all enemies trophy in leech hunter is bugged and I have to do the whole thing again.

Just ran through the game with no saves in 2hr 20 mins- never realised it could be that short- I always considered it the longest Resi game.
                          Wow 2hrs ish is mental. Speed run times. Sorry to hear about a bugged Trophy that must be very annoying hope they patch that.

Comment

I'm still amazed how good this looks.

Rebecca picks up the grenade launcher, but if you don't give it to Billy before the boss fight in the next room, you can't get it back for the fight- meaning a reload may be required if he hasn't got enough on him.
                            I ended up leaving rebecca and going back to the hall to get the knife haha

Got back and still had enough time to kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDonJoshua View Post
                              Can anyone confirm if the Japanese release (specifically PS3) has English subtitles?
                              Cannot 100% confirm but as the U.K PS4 RE: Remake and RE: 0 have Japanese language option, I guess that would mean there is an English language option for the Japnese version probably.

To be fair I finished RE: Remake and RE0 when I had no Japanese knowledge on the Game Cube at the time plus others on PlayStation and Dreamcast. So if for some reason it has not you would still be fine, just the keys when they have descriptions and if you are bothered about the Notes people leave that you may struggle with if you don't know Japanese.

Comment

Working...
                              X