Mario Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kryss View Post
    It looks like they do the pound-jump but it goes higher than I can.
    I should just look up the shortcuts.
    Pound-jump, throw Cappy, home on him, jump?

Comment

I got my 500 moons that I was aiming for and have shelved this for the moment. Another play through will come sometime.

Comment

I will replay it at some point too, hopefully when I've forgotten some of the sneakier moons. Nothing I've played since has measured up.

Comment

I'm trying to play RiME right after it but can't see the point of it right now...

Comment

*deep breath*

I've not been back in the Odyssey yet as I'm down to needing one final moon in the Lost Kingdom but I'm somewhere around the early 600 moons now. Sweet jesus are some of them tedious now. The repetition really makes some of the moons and grind and some rely on the most unintuitive moves Mario has. I'm determined to keep plugging away now I'm approaching the final third, I don't really know why as it's not like some great reward awaits at the end of the game.

Comment

I'm around there and starting to resort to Polygon's guide...

Comment

I've used that a couple of times, or IGN's if Polygon is vague. Some of the Moons are stupidly obscure that I've struggled to imagine how you'd stumble across them without one. Hate the hat dive too, far too easy to trigger a ground pound or cap throw instead.

Comment

Yes, I agree. I can barely pull it off. It is needlessly unintuitive which is strange for Nintendo.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    Hate the hat dive too, far too easy to trigger a ground pound or cap throw instead.
                    Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                    Yes, I agree. I can barely pull it off. It is needlessly unintuitive which is strange for Nintendo.
                    Timing, patience and repetition make the cap-dive a piece of p1ss to pull off.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that you can't chain multiple cap-dives though I guess that would (possibly) break the sandbox nature of the game?

Comment

Not being funny, but if it's not fun, why bother? I played it and enjoyed it, but I'm not going back to get the last 495 moons I don't have.
                      I may well go back and play through the whole game again though.

Comment

One of the Koopa race shortcuts requires you to chain two cap dives together but I think that partially works because of the ground clearance buying you time. The last race I did relied on pulling the move off around 5 times in the race and it was a faff because it depended on angle of approach, where Mario was placed and having the camera in position right so as not to cause Mario to miss the cap. I can do the dive fine in normal play but it's one of those scenarios where the devs have completely lost sight of the audience the game is made for and over egged the challenge, trying to be clever.

Comment

Mostly sticking with it because it's the only NS game I currently have, kills some time nicely in the mornings before work

Comment

I think the cap dive works really well! If you're struggling, you need to practice. It's only unintuitive in the sense that any challenging move in a game is 'unintuitive'. The mechanics of it are rock solid and work really well. I practised it for a while in an open space to get it down, it's been second nature for a long term.

I love that Mario has that flexibility, those moves that are tricky to pull off but give you that extra edge. They're required in a few areas, but they're also rewarding in the sense that they make you faster and more adept at traversing the world in general - particularly useful when you're roaming previously explored areas to find moons or coins.

For reference, you can cap dive twice in a single jump - in the first, Mario will bounce off Cappy, in the second, he will grab him and land back on the ground.

Anyway. This game is driving me mental at the moment. I'm about 4 moons away from having the full 999, and I'm finding them really hard. I've (shamefully) used guides for a couple out of sheer frustration. The one that is really killing me though is the bloody skipping rope. Some people seem to find this quite easy - a mate did it on his second go - but I'm TERRIBLE at it. I've gotten 62, once, and that's my best. Mostly I get about 40. I've followed every piece of advice online but it just isn't helping. There's a new glitch you can use to beat it, and I think I'm going to end up doing that to be honest.

My other bete noires are the final two snow level race challenges, and a single hint art which shows a Koopa wearing a sombrero, pointing upwards to a bush. I've SCOURED the bloody sand level and just cannot find what it's pointing me towards. Any little clues? I'm loath to use a guide that points me straight to it.

I've also got to find a few more purple coins so I can buy 2 more souvenirs and get the Toadette moon for doing so. Then I'll finally, FINALLY be done. Wonderful game but I'm ready for it to be over - the final moons you've got left are a real pain, for me anyway.

Comment

The Jump Rope glitch won't work if the game has been updated, Nintendo patched it out. Silly as it's another element of the game that shows they misjudged, it's just a badly made Moon that's harsh on the player for no reason at all.

Comment

There's a new one that hasn't been patched, I tested it last night. I've switched WiFi off on mine till I've decided whether or not I'm using it!

I find the challenge infuriating, but some seem to find it really easy. It's an odd one.

Got to say I don't share your boredom with the end game at all SF. I normally hate collectathons and ignore them as they feel like busywork, but I find hunting the moons a really fun challenge. Using the hint Toad and the Amiibo robot is key, but when you get to the X on the map it's always still a puzzling little challenge.
                                Last edited by wakka; 24-05-2018, 15:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X