Monster Hunter World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
    Cool - I've got a fair few fish but I'm still slumming it in the ship's cabin, unfortunately. I put down one of those helmet crabs. A bit rubbish as a pet, tbh.
    I caught a rare pet yesterday, which bags a load of research points.

If you go to the forest map at sunrise or sunset, start from camp 1 and slide down into that first open area. Follow the map around to the right over the waterfalls and there's a small section with a couple of flower beds. On there is a rock and a rare beetle appears at those times only.

There's a bunch of crakes who appear on the backs of the aptanoths too, but they didn't spawn for me.

In the Rotten Vale, there's a rare spotty fish in the pond to the left of where the Plundersword cats hide and there's a pig with a different crake on its back just behind you.

All of them net about 500 research points, but you might need your ghillie cloak.

All totally superfluous to the main game, but I love how jam-packed with little Easter eggs this thing is!
    Last edited by QualityChimp; 23-02-2018, 07:21. Reason: Added video

Comment

Thanks Chimp, I'll try for that bug. Nice spot for a stroll at dawn, as well. I got the hare, by the way, thanks for the tip. Didn't know you could run with the net equipped and aimed. This is where the real challenge of MHW lies IMHO: pet collection. Never mind all the padding/fluff of that high-level hunting.

After getting utterly lost for about an hour last night I finally befriended the Ancient Forest Grimalkynes and immediately got a Jagra on board. I fair pissed myself to see my Palico riding him into battle.

Comment

Ha! It's really funny when that happens!
        I'm getting attacked by a bunch of Jagras, that Tailrider is going to get mistaken as a target multiple times!
        Thankfully, you can't hit him.

When I find out of the owl/mushroom guys who reviews me, I feel terrible because he's always going
        "Pffft, everyone uses a long sword, everyone. Nobody uses the bagpipes. Have this, I suppose."

Comment

I 'main' the kinsect glaive (if thrashing about with it against low-level herbivores deserves to be called 'maining') but I've been quite tempted by the bagpipes, actually. Had a bit of a go in the training area and it seemed a grin. Wonder if anyone here has put it to a proper test...

Comment

Bagpipes is amazing in co-op. It's like bringing a fifth member to the team.
            It's tougher solo, though.

I'm not telling you how to suck eggs, but so much of this is word-of-mouth I thought I'd ask.
            Do you know how the glaive works?
            You sent the beetle to research the monster to get buffs. Head, body and tail give attack, mobility and health.
            All three gets an extra buff.

I like playing as with the glaive, but it's tricky getting all three buffs and you can only ever mount a monster twice in a battle, so the whole thing became pretty tough to be a viable weapon.

Most of the technical weapons have a chain to be useful though, which makes them a risky weapon choice.
            The long sword needs normal hits to charge the meter, a complete combo of hard hits to activate the power meter and a final combination to do the power move.
            I struggled to achieve all these things in last night's battles.

Charge Shield needs ridiculous timing to activate the tougher swings and so on.

I should get a gun but I can't work out if I invert or not in this game and keep aiming at the sky or my feet, which is impractical in the heat of the battle.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I struggled to achieve all these things in last night's battles.
              I thought that you'd improved since the last time. You kept the aggro off of me enough that I could let loose a barrage of Dragon Piercer shots almost continually.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I main long sword and have done abit with charge blade. It really helps to learn the monsters moves to be able to land those big hits.

If I was using dual blades I could just go to town.

I know the elders now like the back of my hand, to the point it’s easier solo.

I fitted a gem to my gear last night that boosts dmg of none elemental weapons, well worth it. Had no idea that you can get gems that give boosts that only normally come from set bonuses.

Comment

@ Chimp: I'm only in Wildspire Wastes doing low level stuff at the moment so the glaive is serving me well; don't know if it'll seem weak later on, but at the moment I just keep upgrading my kinsects, have added water elemental affinities to take on upcoming fire types, and it seems quite effective. The thing that's helping me, apart from harvesting with the kinsect for those buffs you mention, is using the vault move then the O button for a kind of 'directed horizontal dive attack kind of thing' (technical term?). If you connect with anything with that it seems you can keep chaining similar attacks while airborne. I'm also tempted by some kind of projectile weapon but learning the ammo types/coatings is probably more than I can take in at the moment. I experimented with the heavy gun and ended up splurging my entire stash of ammo in one utterly ineffectual fireworks display.

Comment

This is what I'm going to build around the Cera Coilbender:

1) Dragonking Eyepatch Alpha. Weakness Exploit +2.
                    2) Kaiser Mail Beta. Special Ammo Boost +2.
                    3) Kaiser Vambraces Beta. Weakness Exploit +1.
                    4) Nergigante Coil Beta. Attack Boost +2.
                    5) Diablos Nero Greaves Beta. Normal Shots +1.
                    6) Fitness Charm III. Constitution +3.
                    7) Critical Gem.
                    8) Elementless Gem.
                    9) Expert Gem x4.
                    10) Mighty Bow Gem.

If you need to break some monster parts and inflict massive raw damage, and if you can find him. Maybe you should hire Mr_Karate.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                      I thought that you'd improved since the last time. You kept the aggro off of me enough that I could let loose a barrage of Dragon Piercer shots almost continually.
                      Thanks, man. Apologies for my language last night.
                      I forgot the mic was on and death by Palico was the final straw.
                      I really want to get that risk/reward balance right. I'm doing too many hits to fill whatever gauge I've got, rather than seeing the monster rearing up and rolling the hell out of its way.

Originally posted by djtickle View Post
                      I main long sword and have done abit with charge blade. It really helps to learn the monsters moves to be able to land those big hits.
                      Yes, this exactly! I don't read the signs and bail when I know I should.

I'm only in Wildspire Wastes doing low level stuff at the moment so the glaive is serving me well; don't know if it'll seem weak later on, but at the moment I just keep upgrading my kinsects, have added water elemental affinities to take on upcoming fire types, and it seems quite effective. The thing that's helping me, apart from harvesting with the kinsect for those buffs you mention, is using the vault move then the O button for a kind of 'directed horizontal dive attack kind of thing' (technical term?). If you connect with anything with that it seems you can keep chaining similar attacks while airborne.
                      I loved that DMC feeling you get from the glaive as you're flipping about. Being able to mount the monsters at least once every battle means other players get relief from main attacks whilst it's trying to remove you and you get that bonus knockdown.

Glad you've sussed the buffs as I was just hitting stuff with my stick, which totally ignores the weapon's strengths.

The game regularly makes you feel like a boss if you land some supermove.

I experimented with the heavy gun and ended up splurging my entire stash of ammo in one utterly ineffectual fireworks display.
                      Sounds like my wedding night.

Comment

Haha love the highlight reel. Must admit with the long sword ive clipped a couple of them myself!

Comment

Do the bows have infinite ammo?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            Do the bows have infinite ammo?
                            No. They also cannot use all of the ammo available. You need various bows.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Anyone got any tips on searching for the blue tracks when you are required to visit 3 maps. It's really slowing me down and making me sleepy. I've managed to do Ancient Forest after 3 sessions.

Comment

The tracks are always in the same place.
                                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X