No announcement yet.

Monster Hunter World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a number of camera and lock-on options to play around with. You'll only die because you mess up. The camera can not be blamed for that unfortunately.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I've never even used the lock on function on this, always found it awful.

Comment

i never use lockon.

Comment

I'll have a dig through the menus tonight, I didn't spot a setting for altering the camera settings so that might be a good way of tweaking it to suit better.

Comment

I find lock-on quite useful for a quick click on/off when you lose line of sight. Was very useful against that jumpy electro-squirrel chap in ancient forest, for example, who keeps nipping up trees and trying to belly-slam you.

Comment

Supes, did I already invite you to the community?

Comment

Not sure to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if not as I kept me owning it to myself the last day or two whilst I've been weighing it up

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                  The combat is pure genius. It's designed to punish your mistakes and greediness.
                  It's not perfect and some of the hitboxes are biased to the monsters, but you're absolutely right about seeing how far you can push your luck, but knowing when to stop attacking and dodge.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  So, thanks to QC I have the game.
                  Firstly, I'm going to be ridiculously disappointed if we don't find some time to co-op together!
                  I've still not forgotten when you stood me up at Play Expo Manchester.

I'm at home tonight and I'll be online from 8:30 after I've sorted the kids/eaten/tidied up.
                  Friend me (PSN=QualityChimp) and we'll do some levels together and talk through some of the ridiculous quirks this game has.
                  Don't give me no excuses about time, you're a time traveller or cloned or something to get through all those other games, films, telly shows and rewatches!

Secondly, don't give up on this really quickly! Give it a couple of weeks to see if it grabs you at least, then make a decision. You don't strike me as a "Lifestyle Gamer", but somebody who tries to experience as many games as possible, rather than committing months/years to one game. That's fine, but remember this isn't trying to be a corridor shooter, it's an in-depth, long term experience.

First impressions were visual thanks to how long the chatting intro is. I'm still trying out the difference performance modes to find one I'm happy with. The game's art direction is very good so I can see why so many find it a looker but at the same time I can see Boris's issues as well as whilst it's artistically strong I don't feel it's technically strong, HDR still seems to be off as well as at best it looks saturated and at worse no different but that's a small niggle that doesn't impact the game at all.
                  I can't say anything about HDR as I'm using the projector, but I'm constantly wowed by how pretty the game is.
                  This thread has some nice config changes from the defaults including avoiding HDR:

"Another tip: the game looks washed out on default settings. Don’t use HDR mode, use SDR and reduce the brightness setting to get deeper blacks.Brightness seems to adjust black level in SDR mode whereas in HDR the setting just reduces the brightness of the whole image. Try it out!"

my cat friend seems to automatically go about his business ignoring me and just trying to whack enemies.
                  Your Palico is amazing, but can need a bit of fine tuning. By default, he's going to launch VigorWasps (flies with big, green bulges of healing spray). He'll say something like "Meowster, VigorWasp ready!" and you can actually use the D-Pad to select it and it'll send it to you.

Later on, you can configure more stuff like the Plunderblade, which chips off loads of bonus drops.

I have absolutely no idea about the names of stuff in this game, they don't stick in my mind at all
                  I can't remember half of them, so make my own names up and most people know exactly what you're talking about.
                  Mick Jagra, Fish-face, electric weasel, Gareth Barroth, horny devil, puffy squirrel, furry t-rex and so on.

weapon wise I have what I think is long sword or similar as I can't guard and it looks like an oversized samurai sword I've managed to upgrade once but I think that was more an example upgrade.
                  Yeah. That sounds like a Long Sword, which is my weapon of choice, so I can give you some "expert" advice! *cough*
                  Hit with triangle until the red sword meter fills.
                  Hit with strong attacks (R2 - your guy flashes white) and complete the combo until you sheath your sword.
                  The sword bar will have a white surround.
                  Now for the SUPER MOVE!
                  Triangle and R2 does a stab slide then your fella jumps in the air and does a powerful slice.
                  Instruction video:

So far I've kind of found the lock on to be pretty useless, instead I've just made sure to get used to positioning the camera as best I can so I keep my main target in clear view
                  OK, so the camera can sometimes feel you're tussling with another monster, but it's a beast that can be tamed as the game is very customisable.
                  Video with some camera config suggestions:

As long as that continues for a little while I feel like my immediate focus should be on upgrading my armour to make me a little more resistant to attacks.
                  Enjoying your progress, at whatever speed suits you is all that matters.
                  You can be caning around in the start armour just enjoying the scenery, that's fine.
                  Don't get dragged into the upgrade cycle unless that's what you want.
                  Loads of different playstyles in this thread alone, so just have fun.
                  Have the research goals running, so that you're getting bonuses without thinking about it.
                  Think about which monster you want to take down and just enjoy getting your guy ready to take it down.

Whilst there are up front things I wish were better the experience is so much better and friendly than in those past games. For the first time I feel like I'm making a decision whether to stick with the game long term or not based on whether I'll commit to it rather than out of frustration about it.
                  You'll soon learn the ropes and totally feel in control of your experience.
                  I'm a n00b and have really, really enjoyed playing it.
                  Just look at our playtimes! We've all invested hours and hours, but it never feels a chore.

Welcome to the hunt, pal!

Comment

Just find a big sword and hit stuff. Try not to die and attempt to make the numbers that appear ever bigger. There’s lots of periphery nonsense, just ignore that and go fight a T Rex. That’s what I did!

Comment

We’re all available to help [MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION]. Us hard hitters as [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] calls us will be able to destroy anything you may be stuck on in seconds. I’m back in my usual role of part breaker too now, so I’m available for hire if you need some tails.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I’ve got eight bows left to upgrade for the full set. It’s real fun going back to LR for parts. I just killed a Rathian and broke all of its parts with five Dragon Piercer shots.
                        Last edited by J0e Musashi; 01-03-2018, 18:56.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Cheers all Ironically, kids in bed and missus isn't well so I actually have a games night ahead lol. I don't have a voice chat set up as its never been something I've used so I'm likely even more dead weight to coop than usual but at least I can put in a solid timed effort tonight.

Comment

You don’t need to speak dude. The gestures are ample enough.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Anyone running a hammer? How you getting on with it compared to long swords?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                Anyone running a hammer? How you getting on with it compared to long swords?
                                I have in the last week, pretty enjoyable. Below is from tempered nergigante i just had, using 1x-none elemental damage, 5xearplug and 3xweakness and enough defense to not get oneshot aside from the super moves... (ignore poor start and the amatuer triple cart at the end , got greedy but luckily it was 5 feint op and we got the win 4mins later). With it i generally use the R2 for charging the spin move or stopping still and releasing a 2 hit monster, i also tryto aim for the hope slide you'll see me do in the video so i can cannon ball for 4-5 hits and often get a mount. If the monsters knocked out use O attacks as it comes with a 5-6 hit combo of increasing nasty damage (which is why i pack a the plugs to finish the chain)

Last edited by Tobal; 01-03-2018, 21:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X