No announcement yet.

Monster Hunter World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had about 10 hours done on this and it wasn't capturing me, but after loading it up the other day, it seems to have finally clicked. Still got no real idea what I'm doing, but I'm having fun!

Comment

what was it that clicked? Using a different weapon or getting far enough in to see a variety of monsters and areas?

Finished the main story and quite enjoyed fighting the new end boss. Have now opened current the endgame

A new map called Guiding Lands, is a 3 level height mix of forest, desert, coral and decay, forest acts as the middle larger piece and joins up other 3 smaller areas to the north, east and west. The gameplay seems to be fight 1 of 3 monsters associated with 1 of the 4 habitats, killing that monster levels up the habitat so stronger monster come out (there's about 6 monsters i've not fought yet hiding in there), but in doing so weakens the other areas, this also benefit mining drops which break of monsters only i think? im only at level 1 in all areas so many able the spawn actual mining nodes later on. Looks like the way farm will be go other people sos's or filter search sessions for certain guiding lands max levels so you don't delevel your own and then you can open up your for friends.

Seems this is where all the new weapon augments come from, you get 1 new elemental upgrade for the slots, and for rank 10 and 11 weapons there's a 2nd "custom" upgrade path which looks to push those weapons into level 12 strength. Not seen any Gamma armour yet, just the upper defense unlocks, so that probably won't come till the arch version of elder dragons come out.

Also very thankful the bonus for opening guiding lands is unlock Zorah's MR set which now comes with artillery plus, allowing for 50% damage and 70% cooldown on wyvernfire, and its all made with standard guiding lands mining items.

Comment

Gah! I've just repelled Velkhana despite losing connection and having to solo it.
        I've only really begun to use some of the more complex strategies when attacking with the Charge Ax. Two swings with triangle, then a sliding dodge attack with circle. It's like the game is brand new! Plus firing off your slingshot mid-combo? Noice!

Comment

feels like that with other weapons i've tried. Great sword, slingshot after first charge, lets your skip charge 2 into true charge 3 leading to some killer damage due to speeding up getting into charge 3 which is really helpful on long fights as monster dizzy and knockdown spells shorten for each time you do it.

Gunlance wyvern stake slinger combo is just awesome explosion fest, it's like sticking a LBG special into the monster for 3 minutes, the harder you hit it, the bigger the bang. I've changed from barely using wyvernfire to risking it for a triple explosion off the slinger stake and absolutely killing my sharpness spamming burst/standard stakes which cause multiple but smaller damage explosions off the slinger stake.

Looking forward to getting back into glaive and hammer at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
            what was it that clicked? Using a different weapon or getting far enough in to see a variety of monsters and areas?

Finished the main story and quite enjoyed fighting the new end boss. Have now opened current the endgame

A new map called Guiding Lands, is a 3 level height mix of forest, desert, coral and decay, forest acts as the middle larger piece and joins up other 3 smaller areas to the north, east and west. The gameplay seems to be fight 1 of 3 monsters associated with 1 of the 4 habitats, killing that monster levels up the habitat so stronger monster come out (there's about 6 monsters i've not fought yet hiding in there), but in doing so weakens the other areas, this also benefit mining drops which break of monsters only i think? im only at level 1 in all areas so many able the spawn actual mining nodes later on. Looks like the way farm will be go other people sos's or filter search sessions for certain guiding lands max levels so you don't delevel your own and then you can open up your for friends.

Seems this is where all the new weapon augments come from, you get 1 new elemental upgrade for the slots, and for rank 10 and 11 weapons there's a 2nd "custom" upgrade path which looks to push those weapons into level 12 strength. Not seen any Gamma armour yet, just the upper defense unlocks, so that probably won't come till the arch version of elder dragons come out.

Also very thankful the bonus for opening guiding lands is unlock Zorah's MR set which now comes with artillery plus, allowing for 50% damage and 70% cooldown on wyvernfire, and its all made with standard guiding lands mining items.
            Twin blades. Not really tried many others. Could maybe do with some forumites to hop online and give me some pointers!

Comment

pop me a message if you see me online (psn), wouldn't mind bullying the low and high rank monsters around.

mhw YT dedicated to trying to break the game, and below some 4 man gunlance team making use of the a wyvern stake to fuse a crown to narga's skull...

Comment

Was away last week, but had managed to do the weeklies before I left, and then got this week's done the day I was back. Not that I've fallen back in hard or anything... *cough*

Anyway, pushed the story on a bit and finally got to try Namielle. That is a *great* fight, but unfortunately as I was lazy and used the SOS flare, someone who's clearly been struggling themselves came in and triple-carted, making it my first failed quest in Iceborne. Second try was clean as a whistle though, and much more fun too, being a bit more ready to deal with some of his more dangerous telegraphs. Definitely my favourite new fight so far - really love the mechanics, and having something that's a bit less hyperactive in how it moves about makes for a great change of pace (particularly after Narga and Barioth).

Gear-wise I'm pretty happy with my armour despite some of it being from fairly early MR monsters. I'm finding a lot of skills I ignored before very valuable, and I'm much preferring the increased availability of decorations and slots for them in the MR gear. I'm one Vaal part away from having what looks to be the highest raw damage output CB, which I'm pretty excited about too.
                [MENTION=2206]MonkeyJuggleDX[/MENTION] def prod me if I'm online when you are. Not a dual blade expert by any means, but can definitely jump in and help with any quests that might be testing you.

Comment

Beat Velk on the weekend, also fallen in hard it seems. Going for

Seething Bazelgeuse

armour next, already managed to get a mantle.

Comment

didn't get on much over the weekend, but im starting to get to get to grips with guiding lands. Assigned story missions keeps coming after you best the new boss based on your MR rank and i'm occasionally hit a new MR cap which requires leveling up parts of G-lands to get assigned quests that way to, which let me fight Zing and Gaun.

Fighting monsters and find tracks levels area's up which allows the next tier of monster to appear and research mini quests bars which allow you to choose specific monster to spawn and fight. Getting sos help is pretty tough unless you're on top of the expedition handle which can be changed at the handler in the camps, so people know what to expect when they see your sos in the menu, otherwise best filter searching a session for guidnig lands and joining others in progress.

Mining/gathering been annoying so far(needed for top armours and augments), the nodes are in set places but random and rare in showing up and seem to take 30mins plus to respawn in a the same expedition and they are also not marked on the map. You really need to make the most out farming node armour set early on.. though i hoping whatever my trail safari upgrade was after beating Guan will allow my palicos to farm guiding lands.

Comment

Past couple of night's I've got on for a little bit, and both times I've failed to find anyone posting quests for Blackveil Vaal. I'm not there yet but thanks to YouTube I think I've a reasonable understanding of how Guiding Lands works - would it be fair to say that it'll be one of the bigger reasons that you're not finding as many endgame folks hanging round for Optional/Investigation quests?

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                        Past couple of night's I've got on for a little bit, and both times I've failed to find anyone posting quests for Blackveil Vaal. I'm not there yet but thanks to YouTube I think I've a reasonable understanding of how Guiding Lands works - would it be fair to say that it'll be one of the bigger reasons that you're not finding as many endgame folks hanging round for Optional/Investigation quests?
                        I would mostly agree with that, while you can make all the weapons and armour without Guiding Lands, you'll need materials only monsters and farming nodes have in there to augment them (including upgrading charms further than base game). The problem with guiding lands is you can't guarantee what you'll be fighting most of the time, so it pot-luck looking to join level6-7 GL's for the area the monster pops in, if the session owner isn't updating search handle manually.

I also think most of black vaal weapons aren't great, and the armour can be made after 6 or 7 fights, which could be a factor, as i not had much trouble sos'ing into other popular monster fights. At least both vaal sets look awesome, if only capcom let you make it as vanity items.

Comment

It's a Black Vaal part I need to complete the Acidic Glavenus charge blade

My vanity wishlist is to have the Ebony Odogaron alpha + set as a layered option

Comment

Next crossover announced, we've had Horizon, Witcher 3, FInal Fantasy, DMC and Street Fighter.... now we get.

they also showed of a new palico armour (wiggler set) and a weaponshop charge blade which looks pretty cool.

Comment

Definitely aren't many working regular quests once they've opened up GL - thinking about the same myself!
                              Holy crap, this really is comparable to the content of the original game, there is so much to do.
                              Right now I'm rocking Hidden Guardian II for that sweet, sweet purple sharpness, along with a mish-mash of armour giving me earplugs, def lvl 6, guard up (always a must for big battles) and some other goodness.
                              The customisation options are getting a bit ridiculous, and I suspect I'm not going to be playing anything else on my PS4 for the rest of the year.

Comment

Finally did the last boss yesterday, and today ventured into the GL for a nice MR jump from 24 straight to 47. Done the 49 quest now, and next I'll be working through a mixture of getting some nice new armour and the weapons I want, doing the relevant optional quests (mantle upgrades and the like) along with slogging away at GL. In agreement about the amount of content - this really feels like a whole new game, and I'm finding myself already feeling guilty about the amount of time that I could easily throw at this. Going to try and slow back down again for a bit now - certainly nothing to do with Rajang landing this week, no siree.

Comment

Working...
                                X