EDF 5 PS4 (Earth Defense Force)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I should also apologise to my comrades-in-arms for getting the absolute titters on a series of missions with the frogs where, instead of killing each wave of amphibian commandos, I was seeing if I could shoot the legs off every one of them so that they were all sat down shuffling around on their slimy arses.
    Really funny that, the last picture looks like L29 where it starts to snow. Talking about the graphics I think that's a nice touch the developers have done in adding weather/climate effects. As well as snow you have levels with fog and a sandstorm type affair going on.

Comment

Nobody was on last night, so I did that 86ish "Approaching Monster Balls" mission.

Basically, it's nothing but woodlice. Hundreds of woodlice.
      At the start of the mission, you're on a bridge crossing a river.
      Instead of fighting, if you turn right and follow the river, there's a waterfall.
      Next the waterfall are some rocks and there's a little nook you can squeeze into that the woodlice can't.
      You'll need a weapon with no splashback as you'll be fighting point blank.
      I got pushed out by alien debris on the first effort, then succeeded on the second attempt.
      You end up with a load of goodies waiting for you.

I was just about to try it on HARD to see what other goodies I could get for my Ranger, then [MENTION=1218]Zaki[/MENTION] popped up!

Backtracked to where I was up to with my Ranger about 34 "Caves Final Mission", which was actually the first mission I'd played with Zaki when we started playing a week or so ago, the one with a stream leading to a bunch of queen ants.
      The tables had turned where I was the n00b on the run, but Zaki was flying in, dealing destruction with way better weapons than the starter kit he had last time. You must be feeling more confident now? You look it!

The queen, her eggs and her many eggs were decimated.

Dragged Zaki into one more mission where you kill the first dino then meet the roller one.
      I think it went a bit quicker as we had better weapons than last time and there were only 2 of us (enemy health increases with player count).
      Then I dragged Zaki into one more mission, which is the one where you're in a field with a load of tanks and the entire Frog Chorus attack. A couple of guys joined the lobby so I quit out to let them join the mission (sorry Zaki), but we needed the extra pairs of hands. Got to call in my rail gun, which pummelled the frogs, but it was wave after wave.
      Win or lose, sink or swim. One thing is certain, we'll never give in.
      They croaked it.

Zaki really did quit then and I did one more mission.
      It was that insane one on the rice field with loads of red ants, black ants, spiders, drones, dropships to top them up and frogs in support.

My Wing Diver would get up in their grill and blow the ships up from the inside, but those shotgun toads just tear you apart.
      My Ranger was getting the most oblique angle to see a sliver of red weak spot and start sniping.
      Not easy with the contents of the reptile house in pursuit.
      I found the one-shot rifle was too slow and didn't do enough damage for the reload time.

Thinned out the frogs from as far away as possible first, then started on the ships to methodically dismantle them.
      The other guys were pretty good and nobody needed a pickup.

Then I really went to bed.

Comment

I'll be on Friday and Saturday again

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
          I'll be on Friday and Saturday again
          I've overtaken Prinny and I'm catching up on your completion percentage!

Comment

Hehe I like the weekends for my multiplayer

Comment

There's other stuff I want to do like watch with the wife that recent Agatha Christie two-parter, but I can't stop playing EDF.

Comment

Don't burn yourself out! There is more than enough EDF to go round, everyone has to do all 4 player types too.

Comment

I just feel like I dragged everyone into this, I want to be able to do a lot of the heavy lifting for people.

Comment

Stuff like airraider will be a real chore!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Nobody was on last night, so I did that 86ish "Approaching Monster Balls" mission.

Basically, it's nothing but woodlice. Hundreds of woodlice.
                      At the start of the mission, you're on a bridge crossing a river.
                      Instead of fighting, if you turn right and follow the river, there's a waterfall.
                      Next the waterfall are some rocks and there's a little nook you can squeeze into that the woodlice can't.
                      You'll need a weapon with no splashback as you'll be fighting point blank.
                      I got pushed out by alien debris on the first effort, then succeeded on the second attempt.
                      You end up with a load of goodies waiting for you.

I was just about to try it on HARD to see what other goodies I could get for my Ranger, then [MENTION=1218]Zaki[/MENTION] popped up!

Backtracked to where I was up to with my Ranger about 34 "Caves Final Mission", which was actually the first mission I'd played with Zaki when we started playing a week or so ago, the one with a stream leading to a bunch of queen ants.
                      The tables had turned where I was the n00b on the run, but Zaki was flying in, dealing destruction with way better weapons than the starter kit he had last time. You must be feeling more confident now? You look it!

The queen, her eggs and her many eggs were decimated.

Dragged Zaki into one more mission where you kill the first dino then meet the roller one.
                      I think it went a bit quicker as we had better weapons than last time and there were only 2 of us (enemy health increases with player count).
                      Then I dragged Zaki into one more mission, which is the one where you're in a field with a load of tanks and the entire Frog Chorus attack. A couple of guys joined the lobby so I quit out to let them join the mission (sorry Zaki), but we needed the extra pairs of hands. Got to call in my rail gun, which pummelled the frogs, but it was wave after wave.
                      Win or lose, sink or swim. One thing is certain, we'll never give in.
                      They croaked it.

Zaki really did quit then and I did one more mission.
                      It was that insane one on the rice field with loads of red ants, black ants, spiders, drones, dropships to top them up and frogs in support.

My Wing Diver would get up in their grill and blow the ships up from the inside, but those shotgun toads just tear you apart.
                      My Ranger was getting the most oblique angle to see a sliver of red weak spot and start sniping.
                      Not easy with the contents of the reptile house in pursuit.
                      I found the one-shot rifle was too slow and didn't do enough damage for the reload time.

Thinned out the frogs from as far away as possible first, then started on the ships to methodically dismantle them.
                      The other guys were pretty good and nobody needed a pickup.

Then I really went to bed.
                      Great session yesterday There has to be a way we can turn off weapon limits though! My Stardust Cannon wants to get out!

Comment

Ah, interesting.
                        For me, Fencer is a real chore, plodding about the place.

Air Raider is great. You get some sweet vee hickles like the choppers and rail gun tanks. (And ambulance - nee naw.)
                        Remember that 2025 Destroy All Monsters level? Tank + recharge post + buff post powered us all up.
                        The queen wasp mission in the caves - called up some shields and even her giant stingers couldn't get us.
                        Fencer missile + AR laser guidance on those hectors coming out of the sea? Bliss!

One improvement on EDF5 I'm liking is that you get goodies for all the classes with the weapon crates.
                        Nice to move to a different class to find you have more armour than at starter levels and an armoury full of weapons to try.
                        When I switch back to Air Raider, I've got tanks and choppers waiting for me that I picked up as WD or Ranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                          Great session yesterday There has to be a way we can turn off weapon limits though! My Stardust Cannon wants to get out!
                          You have to finish the game to a certain percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                            Nah, mate.
                            You have to have 70% completion rate to unlock armour and weapon restraints.
                            Another reason why I'm chipping away at it every night.

It takes ages to get there, even with the updated system where it counts the current difficulty and the ones below it as complete (e.g. do it on HARD and Normal and Easy are also listed as complete).

We'll do some later levels next time so you can crack that bad boy open.
                            It worked especially well on stripping the gun segments on the tripods.

Don't forget the short-range weapons too. They're great for flying up to an enemy (lone frog or dropship) and pummelling them into submission. Ultimately though, do whatever you find fun and feel free to ignore me.

Something very satisfying about the Wing Diver and mastering the controls.
                            Rationing out your energy to juuuust make it across town away from the horde or swooping down perfectly to revive a comrade, then blasting off again, or hovering over and unsuspecting grey, then eviscerating him. You feel like a superhero.

Don't forget to try updating your controls. I found that clicking the left stick (L3) a bit clumsy, so started swapping it for L1.
                            The Ranger doesn't need you to touch the left stick, so just pressing L1 to dash makes most sense and clicking to zoom.
                            The Air Raider often needs a swift exit and tapping L1 is easier (for me) and you can escape easier.

Another thing, have you looked at your third weapon slot, the power setting?
                            That's quite tactical as sometimes you're grounded and want to pick off a distant target, other times you want mobility.
                            Those "Turbo" ones let you blast across the entire city without depleting your energy tank.

Comment

You and your monster balls. You'll go blind!

Comment

I was going to have a night off, but Randombs set an alarm to get up early and SAVE THE WORLD, so I couldn't slack off.

He had a massive gap in the earlier levels, so we went back and I used the opportunity to try out the Fencer, my least favourite class.
                                Ended up getting the best results with dual shotguns, but enjoyed the "Red Mist" rocket launcher on the first dino.

Swapped to my Air Raider when we got to levels he hadn't done.
                                He's got some cool kit now like some tanks and buff posts. The power gun was the only thing available at the level limits, but it added about 20% damage to Randombs' Ranger sniping.
                                I particularly like the AR's Limpet Sniper. Only 2 shots, but each one normally kills a standard enemy.

15% completion rate now.

Heh, I got totally swamped on one mission and I was dropping turrets, limpets, air strikes and tanks whilst desperately trying to roll outta there. Managed to survive and pick up some loot.

We did the first mission with the megabase, then the one where is starts walking.
                                I got trashed by Toad of Toad Hall and all his mates, but enjoyed watching Randombs rolling around, seeing splashes of alien blood and hearing their screams. He must've killed about 8 in a row and then got me back on my feet. That deserves a medal!

The rest is a bit of a blur as we did a load of talking about racism and cultures!
                                Feels weird saying I'm not xenophobic IRL whilst simultaneously blasting aliens back to where they came from.

I've been really enjoying the social aspect of the game and the opportunity to chat with you lot again.
                                Last edited by QualityChimp; 11-03-2020, 08:23.

Comment

Working...
                                X