Demon's Souls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
    Playing in souls form and using the cling ring is how I've avoided going into black world tendency, isn't it common knowledge that dying too much in body form is what turns your world black?
    Yeah I dunno how I could've made a mistake, the game's simple mechanics are made crystal clear throughout, you're right!

Comment

The phantom is stagger-able with a parry but it heals ... it bloody HEALS!!!

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
      isn't it common knowledge that dying too much in body form is what turns your world black?
      It took just two deaths to turn mine. I've finished the original a couple of times and it never pulled a move this harsh

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Yeah I dunno how I could've made a mistake, the game's simple mechanics are made crystal clear throughout, you're right!

point taken stupid obtuse systems come hand in hand with souls games

I did a bit of world tendency research and im not sure why they cant let you know the below info as it dosent spoil the game, if anything its helped me explore more and get all the worlds easily to both states so i can explore and do more.

if you want to get to full black its as easy as dying 7 times in human form or killing named characters
        to get to pure white just play the level in soul form don't die at all in human form and kill all the bosses and activate all the arch stones and you should get your world to pure white by the time you've completed all the areas.

the benefit of pure white is normally access to a blocked off item or area

the benefit of pure black is increased soul gains and item drops but at the cost of phantoms appearing and harder enemy's appearing,

they could of explained the systems a little bit and not left it down to the community to figure it all out but what do i know this is my first time playing this and I'm having a blast.

Comment

I like that the game is borderline impenetrable in what it doesn't tell you ... it's part of its edge. I only died twice in human form in that area though ... deffo not seven.

Comment

I think dying 7 times will get you to pure black all the way from pure white, so it's definitely less than that from neutral standing. I think world tendency on its own is somewhat manageable, but trying to manipulate character tendency on top is where it gets particularly messy.

Comment

Yea, if you think of a scale from 1-7. You start at 4, so if you die in human form you’ll drop to 3, then 2 then 1 which is pure black.

It’s actually something they should emphasise more tbh. Even when you’re looking at your world tendency it’s not always obvious where you are on the scale.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                I think dying 7 times will get you to pure black all the way from pure white, so it's definitely less than that from neutral standing. I think world tendency on its own is somewhat manageable, but trying to manipulate character tendency on top is where it gets particularly messy.
                yup your right i was counting how many deaths it takes to get my wolrds to black after doing all the pure white stuff Doh, its crazy how super easy it is to go form neutral to pure black which is pretty crazy.

Comment

It's like a way of doubly/secretly punishing you for dying, isn't it, in a game that is all about dying. Just like the dragonrot system in Sekiro. Makes me think the From Software people must actually be really horrible in real life.

Comment

Finally started this as Royalty. Done the first boss and died about 3-4 times as two of them was massive mistakes by myself.
                    Going to grind a bit now to build up my health and stamina. I have a lot to learn but thoroughly enjoying this well for now

Comment

Don't overinvest in health, I'd say 16-18 points are fine for the first playthrough. Endurance is always a good investment; keep in mind that stamina caps at 40, while item burden continually increases.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                        It's like a way of doubly/secretly punishing you for dying, isn't it, in a game that is all about dying. Just like the dragonrot system in Sekiro. Makes me think the From Software people must actually be really horrible in real life.
                        This is a fundamental issue I have with the game.

I understand the theory based on the story that when you die as a ‘human‘ you’re making the world a darker place, ergo the world turns black and gets harder. However it doesn’t work from a gameplay POV when you’ve made a game where you’re gonna die a lot, so beginners die and then you make the game harder for them.

Ultimately, this just puts people off playing.

It needed to be the other way around, where by the better you do the harder it gets. This means you start out, the game gets easier and you get through. You play again and do it better but the game changes and it’s harder to do the things you did before.

The black phantom in 4-1 is a prime example. You start out, die and die and then there’s an insane gate keeper right there, which just puts you off. Do it the other way, you beat this, then beat that and the next thing you know there a killer in your way that you need to take down.

Comment

I’ve been enjoying this game at my own slow pace since launch and it’s a real pleasure to revisit this game, as the last time I played the original version was just after the PS4 launched IIRC.

The weekend just gone PSN Plus online features were available from the network which showed me a side of the game I enjoyed during the PS3 days, when online aspects were free. So since the PS4 until last weekend, I have played all, the Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, etc games offline. As I have never subscribed to PSN+.

As lonely as the game can be playing offline, I am not distracted by random ghostly figures running around, more by the amount of blood stains and confusing messages littering the landscape. I do get a sense of dread when I am randomly invaded, especially when I am in a tough situation with limited options.

But the recent taster of online play, really changed how I approached the game. I was invaded a few times and although co op help was on offer, I declined the offer for a more challenging play through.

Even after all these years I am still confused about the world tendency aspect in the game and generally try to do ‘good’ in the game. Currently at level 67 with a mix of magic and tank build using light armour to enhance my speed for evading.

On a quick random note, I miss the ability to jump, as cumbersome as the mechanic is...

Comment

Finally making some slow progress. Done 1-1 and 1-2 and just started the smithing grounds. Still feeling my feet but damn it’s addictive

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
                              Finally making some slow progress. Done 1-1 and 1-2 and just started the smithing grounds. Still feeling my feet but damn it’s addictive
                              Nice going EDD, it certainly gets under your skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Nice going EDD, it certainly gets under your skin.
                                Just when you think your holding your own, the game kicks you well and truly between the meat and veg. This truly is an art form

Comment

Working...
                                X