EDF: World Brothers (PS4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDF: World Brothers (PS4)

I’ve put in maybe 30 hours so far, so I thought I’d share some basic thoughts.

To start with, my expectations were very low. It looked utterly pointless and opportunistic to develop an EDF game in the style of Lego and Minecraft. It was by Yukes, responsible for the iffy Iron Rain. It was aimed at kids.

So it’s a smelly gash of a game, yes?

No. Completely wrong.

I first had a crack when it got released, and I put in maybe an hour before I gave up. I was burnt out from EDF5 and couldn’t take on another grindfest. It also seemed unplayable. The controls were awful, the visuals confusing, and the tone annoying. Thankfully, Kats persuaded me to give it another crack a couple of weeks ago after a 2 month break. It’s a cracking little game.

This is how it works:

There are 60 levels. You complete them all on 5 difficulties. Unlike EDF5, they aren’t stacked down from Hard. So, you have to complete a mission on all 5 difficulties, rather than trying Hard straight off the belt to get Easy and Normal ticked off too. However, the boon is that you only have to complete a level on the 5 difficulties. You don’t have to finish each one 5 times with 4 different classes.

That’s because of the way the classes work. You have to find well over 100 characters, or ‘brothers’. You do this by completing levels. At the start of a level, there are 3 or 4 (difficulty dependent) fallen brothers on the map that you have to rescue. It’s just a case of walking over to them and reviving them. They then join your Brothers Pool from that point. They are selectable for any mission you like, on any difficulty.

The Brothers feature every main character from every EDF game released so far. There are also dozens of cliched characters from around the world. Panda Brother from China. Tulip Sister from Holland. Each character comes in three variants - Alpha, Beta and Gamma. They are unlocked at random. I took ages to get a Knight character, but Kat got one straight away. That’s because we played separately. When you play co-op, you get the same unlocks. I think some characters can only be unlocked on higher difficulties, but you don’t have to go to Inferno to get them all. Kat unlocked them all by the time he was halfway through Hardest.

Most Brothers start at skill level 1. Some unlock at level 2 or even 3. The skill levels determine how many types of weapon you have access to. There are ten categories of weapon. That means your characters have to reach skill level 10 to access each weapon type. My Knight is at skill level 4, so he can access 4 different categories. My Ninja Brother is at level 3, so he can only access three different types of weapon.

How do you raise their skill level? Well, not necessarily through playing as them. If you play a level, and you save 3 brothers, then it’s not likely that all three brothers will be brand new. There may be 1 who is new and enters your character pool, and the other 2 you might have already saved in a previous mission. This is the clever bit. It’s not a waste. Those 2 characters increase the skill bar of your already-saved character.

So I might have a level 3 Ninja. I save another one. His skill bar races up into level 4, and my ninja now has access to 4 categories of weapon. If you maxed out every brother, they’d be able to handle every weapon.

You also unlock new weapons and accessories that way. You have attack, defence, mobility and recovery perks. You can select one per brother (but you can also select the same one one for all brothers).

For each mission you can pick 4 brothers (each wielding one weapon) for yourself. You can switch between them on the fly. It’s vital to manage them well - they can revive each other, and you can string attacks together if you’re competent enough. You choose the balance. You might have 2 ranged weapons and 2 close combat. I chose three air raiders for a mission yesterday.

Each brother has a standard attack, and a special tied to L2. That recharges, but you can manage it carefully for extra devastation. There’s also an R3 special that you build up by collecting yellow boxes and killing enemies. That can be very effective. A Viking has a special that quadruples damage, so if you get your characters close to him when he sets off his battle cry, you can release holy hell. A lot of these specials are more useful than you’d think.

Red boxes increase the armour of all your brothers. White boxes increases the health of just the brother selected.

The missions are all typical EDF apart from a couple of ‘defend the building’ ones. The beauty is in how you play them. You have to really think about your 4 brothers, their weapons and their accessories to create the most chaos. The environments are quite varied, and the visuals totally work when you tune into them. The script is great - very tongue in cheek and self-aware, talking to the player half the time with a nod and a wink. Loads of the enemies and locations, and even the music, are taken from the previous games. There’s even stuff from EDF1 and 2 in there. It’s like a Greatest Hits, but very fresh in the way it’s delivered.

I’ll do more later after I’ve finished taking MiniPrinny for a walk.
    Last edited by prinnysquad; 09-08-2021, 12:13.

A few more thoughts.

1) The homages to previous games are lovely. I don’t think I stressed that enough. Seeing enemies from EDF2, like the purple tripods, and beasts from Insect Armageddon and Iron Rain, is so satisfying. The DLC is particularly wonderful for this.
    2) The tactical decision-making about which brothers to take gets really important on the higher difficulties. We did a mission on hardest yesterday where it was just a wall of air-raiding chaos on a cycle. Other missions need more mobility and one player acting as a reviver. I can see one of us having to pick 4 wing divers, flying around reviving constantly.
    3) Kat and I took out some big guns by stockpiling specials, then standing in the radius of the Viking war cry. It decimated the map, because we had them all charged and ready to fire. This type of timed teamwork is very important. It’s not a game for ‘kids’ in that sense.
    4) When you run out of ammo, you can switch to another brother. The previous brother continues to reload in the background, so that when you switch back, he’s locked and loaded. This is very useful.
    5) Not everything is rosy. The D-pad character switching can get a bit sticky sometimes. Also, there’s no stats screen. For a game with dozens of trophies based on stats, thats pisspoor. Also, the menus and general front end is confusing. Sometimes you’re in and out of menus, looking at weapons types and stats, that should be more seamlessly augmented. There’s a lot of unnecessary menu-flicking.
    6) You can pre-assemble different teams of four, ready to access on the menu. You could have a balanced team as your first set. Your second set could be ranged attacks-based. Your team kitted out with high-end gear ready for missions on hardest, and a mate joins who has to do a level on easy? No need to chop and change all your weapons. You could have a team designed for ‘easy’ ready to go at the click of L1.
    7) When I was typing the first post, a WAD with a killer ass got out of the car next to me.

That last point is the most relevant.
    Last edited by prinnysquad; 09-08-2021, 12:30.

Comment

I loved the demo on the Switch and although it keeps being discounted (base game, then deluxe alternating it seems), it still isn't within my budget yet.
      There is a nice discount on the PS4 base game right now though (40% off?).

Happy to see you are happy with it Prin. I'd lie if I said there was no chance of double-dipping on this.

Comment

It’s a little cracker. It’s the EDF game that people who want things freshened up have been crying out for. The core gameplay is still point, shoot, kill em all. However, the framework is fresh, the visuals neat and the context amusing. I expected nothing from Yukes. They’ve proven me so very wrong. This is a fantastic homage to the series, and yet it oozes breeziness and freshness.
        Last edited by prinnysquad; 08-08-2021, 22:25.

Comment

Somehow missed that this was out already, and I see there's a 40% discount currently running for PS+ folks! This sounds very good - I didn't dislike 5, but I did have my niggles with it that put me off the long haul. Some of the changes described would certainly go some way to changing that. Having to repeat levels based on class and difficulty was a total slog, so it's good to hear they at least reduced the variables by one and gave you more brother-boosting incentive to repeat when necessary.

Also good to hear Kat's still alive!

Comment

The current pricepoint is fair.

For completion, you’re looking at 60 levels x 5 difficulties. It’s great being able to create different crack squads for different scenarios. It could be argued that if you upgraded every Brother up to level 10, then there wouldn’t be much of a difference, as they can all access all weapons. It’s not strictly true, though. They all have individual L2 and R3 specials.

There is an Armageddon difficulty accessible via the DLC. For the sadists.

On inferno, playing with two other people, even though you have 12 brothers available, you really do need them all. It’s not an easy game.

The skill idea is intriguing. In theory, you could have a Brother at skill level 10, who can access all weapons, but who has really, really low armour. That’s because you’ve found the same Brother on ten to twenty separate missions, and it’s caused the Brother’s skill to increase. (Note: rescuing a brother on higher difficulty setting seems to increase the skill by more). However, if you have never played as that brother, then their armour will be terrible, because the armour is awarded for every mission you play. I’ve got a level 7 Brother with only 1200 armour, because I’ve never played as that character.

It really makes you think about how much time to invest in each character. It’s great having a Brother with high armour, but if you’re unlucky and haven’t found the same Brother on several missions, then he’ll have a very low skill level and can’t access a wealth of weaponry. In the later levels, you may find that you want to bring out a heavily-armoured Brother just to survive it, but the weapons aren’t what you need. This is what I mean about the tactical depth.
            Last edited by prinnysquad; 09-08-2021, 12:11.

Comment

Bought this today as I’ve got a bit of spare time this week and had a couple of hours on it. Took a while to adapt from how I would normally play an EDF game, but I’m getting in to it now.

Comment

Come and join the squad!

Comment

Don’t have PS+ any more pal as it’s not that often I have time for playing games. 18 stages in now, it’s a fun wee game.

Comment

Ah that’s a shame. It’s a blast in co-op. Literally, with Kat air-striking the area relentlessly.

Comment

Just to clarify one thing. The brothers you rescue on an inferno map possess better quality weapons and accessories than on the lower difficulties. Seems straightforward, just don’t know if I mentioned.

We just did one of the maps in the teens on inferno and rescued a cowboy who gave us a golden revolver. It does between 2000 and 20000 damage per shot, depending on how close you are to the enemy.

Another observation - red ants are pretty much double the size of the black ants. I only noticed this when they were side by side. I think it’s the only EDF game that has made the visual difference between the two species based on colour AND size.

Comment

36 stages in now and really enjoying it. The gameplay with having the four characters at your disposal makes for great attacking tactics. It does lack the spectacle of ‘proper’ EDF with the way it’s been Nintendofied (may not be a word) but it’s good all the same.

Comment

I understand what you mean about spectacle. There’s some spicy levels later on, though.

Comment

After ps' updates I've become a bit interested in this, might wait a while before buying as the disk version is a bit pricey at the moment.

Comment

Digital is 20% right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X