Record of Lodoss War - Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Record of Lodoss War - Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

This is the latest Igavania from Team Ladybug. It's been in early access for a while and this week has a full release on all platforms including Game Pass.

I love it.

It is way more Symphony than their last game and feels really fluid and responsive.

Criticisms up front; a lot of the rooms are visually similar. A lot of the same background tiles are used over and over. This also means that you get stuff like mummies roaming round get gothic corridors and look a little out of place.

I don't want to spoil too many mechanics as I knew nothing going into this and have laughed out loud at how good some of the upgrades are.

Very early on you get a movement ability that would be a late game upgrade in other games. The bow and arrow are part of a very fun puzzle mechanic that isn't wildly inventive but feels great. There is an elemental system which you manage for extra power and healing.

Apparently it's short (about 6 hours) and is fairly easy but on a relaxed Christmas break where I have a late afternoon beer advent calendar, that is perfect for me.

I'm up to the very last boss in 1 day of playing. It isn't too tough but some bosses can be a pain on the arse.
    Word of warning to PC and Series X / S users. The game has really bad screen tearing for some reason. This game wouldn't even push a Saturn or PlayStation so god only know why there is screen tearing. The PS4 version is fine though.

Comment

Such a beautiful looking game. They have really nailed that SOTN look. I'm only on stage 2, but loving it so far.

About that screen tearing. I'm not sure, but I found that when I was in the setting messing around with the audio volume, I came out and that's when I noticed the tearing. I quit the game after about 15 mins of that and when I loaded back up it had gone. Not fully tested this, could be a coincidence. Playing on Series S.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
        Such a beautiful looking game. They have really nailed that SOTN look. I'm only on stage 2, but loving it so far.

About that screen tearing. I'm not sure, but I found that when I was in the setting messing around with the audio volume, I came out and that's when I noticed the tearing. I quit the game after about 15 mins of that and when I loaded back up it had gone. Not fully tested this, could be a coincidence. Playing on Series S.
        Don't know about that. I played on Series X and instantly noticed it. No matter what options are changed it doesn't go away. Not that I'm bothered since I bought the physical PS4 version and play all PS4 games with my Series X Controller anyway

Comment

Finished the game and got all the trophies except for the three associated with the boss rush mode. The boss rush mode is pretty fun but I think I'd rather move on than plug away at it.

Absolutely loved the game. Can't wait for whatever Team Ladybug do next. Had a great time 100%ing the map, weapons and bestiary. I hope next time that the team gets a bit of time to add some of the little moments of magic that made Symphony so special. Deedlit does everything excellently but it just needs a bit more visual variety and some more of the weird secrets and touches that Symphony has.

BTW, for anyone trophy hunting, the 100% weapon trophy can break. If it doesn't unlock, exit the game, reload and go to a merchant. Sell him one of the weapons he has in his inventory (I used the chainsaw) and then rebuy it from him. That will make it unlock.

This is definitely one of my GOTYs and I hope it does really well so we get more.

Comment

Played up to the first boss last night, and so far pretty impressed. Those crucial first impressions when you get the character in your hands are so brilliant - your movement is so fluid, and those diagonal stabs are just fabulous.

Definitely get the impression it's a breezy one from how generous it is with power ups, but that's fine by me!

Comment

Playing this too, and I hope it gets a tad harder...defeated

Shooting Star

and so far boss strategies were "get close an hammer the attack button".
              I'm also finding the game a bit unstable on Switch, last night I've got the same error three times upon entering a different area.

Comment

After playing this, I picked up Castlevania Advance Collection, Castlevania Requiem, Castlevania Anniversary Collection and even Castlevania Mirror of Fate.

Comment

Just completed it. I liked it, but I really wished for it to be a tad harder and bosses be more complex. There are some nice physics/enviornmental puzzles here and there and the spirits mechanic never get too much into the game's way. As usual with this type of game I've never found a use for any weapon with a speed rating lower than 4, no matter the reach or raw damage. Also never really used any magic.
                  I watched Lodoss OVAs again after starting it and I like the many nods to that series, though if you don't remember the animation it's better to get into the game without refreshing your memory or you'll spoil where the story is going.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                    Just completed it. I liked it, but I really wished for it to be a tad harder and bosses be more complex. There are some nice physics/enviornmental puzzles here and there and the spirits mechanic never get too much into the game's way. As usual with this type of game I've never found a use for any weapon with a speed rating lower than 4, no matter the reach or raw damage. Also never really used any magic.
                    I watched Lodoss OVAs again after starting it and I like the many nods to that series, though if you don't remember the animation it's better to get into the game without refreshing your memory or you'll spoil where the story is going.
                    The only thing I remember about the anime is the opening music as I have the 7" record of it . Japanese and English versions both by the same artist.

Comment

I finished it yesterday too, and generally speaking had a pretty great time. I still would've enjoyed it had it have been a little harder - beating bosses first time is always a bit of an odd phenomenon - but the last few definitely got a bit tougher, so I don't feel like it was too easy overall.

I remember Outland did something a little similar with bringing the polarity-switching idea to a Metroidvania, but that leaned much harder into switching through streams of bullets, whereas I felt the elementals here were integrated into the main mechanics a bit more smoothly. It felt a little jarring when you go back and revisit areas only to have hits do no damage at all on a particular enemy, but I really liked a fully-levelled elemental being able to heal you. It's very helpful when you've gone too far from a save point, but also in boss fights it was a great incentive to play defensively through certain phases.

The story isn't particularly noteworthy, but I have never read/watched a Lodoss thing before so I feel there is at least some dimension to it that I'm not appreciating.

Feel like I should probably go back and play more than 30 minutes of Luna Nights now.

Comment

Got the platinum now. Turning up with the best weapons ready to go, and being hyper aggressive with the right spells for each, I got the S rank in boss rush mode on my first attempt. I'd argue it's much easier than the archery mini-game!

Enjoyed this a lot though, more than I did some of the more celebrated titles in the space. It's a good one, folks!

Comment

Can I ask at what level did you guys finish this? My character is at level 51 but I'm having issues with the final form of the last boss.

Comment

48 or 49. I beat the last boss by pelting arrows at it; IIRC it was the Bow Of Life or something similar. As a physical weapon I had the Jitte. I did use four or five healing potions and also had the doll that saves you from 50 points of damage equipped.

Comment

Yeah, think I was mid-40s first time I did it. Good weapon/spell combo would be the vampire sword (dropped from the grim reaper-y enemies) and the Undine spell, if you've got it.

Comment

Working...
                              X