Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Was surprised at first so few people seem to be talking about it, but after playing it deep into the 5th land i can see why this will be a forgotten game.

At it's core, it's Mario Galaxy 2-lite with no camera control, enter a small level which can be completed in 5-10 minutes depending on how long to take to do the 3 hidden objectives to perfect the waddle dee count outside of getting the listed hidden WD's, most of these are hidden paths to rooms, get on top of something, beat the clock, beat a mini boss or destroy/collect thing. Game oozes charm and relaxing play with Kirby's standard selection of copy abilities which you can level up as you go through the game and a handful of mouthful modes which aren't much different from the copy abilities, kirby swallows a car, cone, stairs etc, etc, to complete a short platform puzzle. You'll also find gacha capsules to collect like Smash Bro's like trophy list, not much to it outside of a short paragraph about an enemy or item.

Game is split up across themed maps which have 4 associated levels then a final one with boss to beat, outside of that are 6 challenge courses giving you a task to complete with a single copy ability or mouthful mode against a time limit and a set 'dev' time to beat which rewards you will next to nothing if you beat it (50 coins), just completing the challenge normally will get you the main prize which is a star used to upgrade copy abilities. Here you'll find all sort of tasks using the abilities in fun way you just don't get to do in the main game which is a massive shame.

Collecting WD's upgrades the town, but it's all fluff crap so far after getting 150 WD's, you start with the most important piece the upgrade shop, outside of that everything else is rubbish time wasting crap, i did just open up a battle room to fight mini and main boss gauntlet, not much fun to be found in that but at least the reward was decent upgrade for certain ability.

Now down to it's problems, the frame-rate is bad, often feel it's barely hitting 20-25 and it's dies on the bosses, upgraded abilities tend to fill the screen with all sort of effects killing the FPS and can be problem even on the cutdown challenge levels, making the hard to control abilities like tornado or ice painful to use. The textures range from average to poor for the levels and PS1 level of texture work for the overworld map for a surprisingly amount of it.

Challenge levels are once and done, missing a repeat the level function which requires multiple loads to get back into the challenge to beat the dev time, and even then it's only 50 coins as a reward which is nothing, so i just stopped caring and did the bare minimum to get the star upgrade. Upgrading abilities is frustrating experience with alot of time wasting, from loading into the town for cutscene, run into the store for a cutscene, run to abilities, click to upgrade for a thankfully skippable cutscene, then run out the shop and run back to the star to exit, same process for every upgrade.

By the 4th land it throws repeated bosses at you and often doubles them up, not fun and FPS killer, and alot of hidden objects are now getting repeated to where i can guess what they want me to do and cleared every area in the 4th land with max WD's in my first run. And as stated before the lack of using copy abilities for advance moves to complete puzzles (as hidden puzzle objectives) in the main game levels which are shown off in the challenge modes are glaring bad omission to inject much needing difficulty for a veteran player.

They also do the crime of an NPC right at the town's loading in start point which is suppose to help the player with tips, but... it requires a Nintendo online pass to access complete with loading times and pop up for 7-free days, **** off nintendo even ubisoft stopped doing this **** (i assume).

Very much a 6/10 above average game, that would get a point more if the switch wasn't dragging it down with poor frame-rates, i doubt whatever's left of the lands to visit will change my opinion.

I really wanted to like this but finding it pretty dull with little flashes of brilliance peppered here and their. The complete lack of any sort of challenge in the main game seems to be massively at odds with the challenge levels which require a flawless run to earn full rewards their not that difficult they just require you too play them a few times to learn the route through which i kind of lost interest in doing after the first 5 of them.

Comment

I'm playing through it now and loving it. Levels are short but fun with lots of little secrets to find. The art direction is strong, it looks gorgeous. The music is great and the challenges are fun as well. Playing as car-kirby or vending-machine-kirby always puts a smile on my face.

I normally bounce off Kirby games but I'm having a great time here.

Comment

Me and the little lad are still loving this. We're only up to the end of the snow area so far. Any secrets that are missed out eventually get scooped up by me at night.

Doesn't the title screen evolve depending on your Waddle Dee Village progress? I do like little touches like that. The overall presentation is flawless, even down to the loading sting transitions.

That light bulb horror-themed stage from the fairground area was pure genius as well, from the design to the music for it.

Comment

Has the real Nintendo magic this. Cliche but could be a mainline Mario game quality wise.

Comment

Working...
          X