Sniper Elite 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sniper Elite 5

Playing on gamepass. It's Sniper Elite 4 but better looking and the same amount of jank on the controls much like Hitman games before the 2016 revision, designed for scanning a mouse pointer over objects, barely functioning item wheel, every button having 2 or 3 actions on it so it's very, very easy for example to go stab someone but because there is body near them you end up searching the corpse instead. No way to exit focus mode 'correctly', using the same button actives the binoculars so i found the best way is to quickly tap ADS button to break the focus, going into binoculars or ADS often has you looking way, way of the target you intended to look at as i often had the small dot sights in 3rd person below the horizon to look over walls and hedges.

Modern Sniper Elite is a stealth game with optional sniping on large open'ish levels (lots of unclimbable hedges, ditches and wall levels to funnel the player in to choke points) with multiple secondary objectives, based on playing the first 3 levels, sniping seem to be heavily punished with the amount of germans always in range of 120/130m sounds of gun shots, and little noise cover often resulting in sniping sentries, waiting for the cooldown on the search and avoiding anyone advancing on your firing position to investigate the noise. Can easily ignore sniping and instead crouch walk while stab/silent pistol your way to where you need to go. Going loud is also works with plenty of submachine gun ammo around and 1 magazine use rifles and automatics lying around, you'll just have to deal with 20 odd germans rushing you if one goes for the alarm to get reinforcements in.

Close in stealth isn't as in-depth as a Splinter Cell, MGSV or Hitman, the cover system barely works (no button just push into the wall and hope it works, no real options for opening door, windows are locked and not interactive unless it's already open.

No real changes to the mission structure, blow up/sabotage thing, snipe officer and steal information. All are dealt with by 3 options, find a key off an officer, blown up door/safe/thing, and sabotage thing with findable crowbar/bolt cutters. One new thing i didn't get into was invasions, other players can, like a dark souls invasion jump into your campaign mission to find and snipe you.

Historical accuracy is out the window, plenty of unused prototype weapons that never saw action and ridiculous spy allies with the worst accents going.

I am looking forward to doing some co-op campaign this week once i get my friend to download 80gb of game

I'm loving it, but then I've loved this series since v2 way back in the day. Agree it's still got it's janky charm to it but I am appreciating the small improvements.

The first is to can toggle ADS sights in any weapon now and it remembers them on aper weapon basis. The level navigation also seems massively improved with multiple routes now possible and climbing now allowing more verticality.

It's more of the same and it's not exactly eye candy (though that 2nd level is gorgeous) but I almost forgive Rebellion a little when you know their budget is probably a fraction of what a metal gear or hitman game gets.

If this wasn't on game pass I still would have bought it as I like to support these guys but if anyone hasn't played the series before, and experienced shooting testicles at 250m I highly recommend it.

Comment

Spent 4 hours on the first level trying to do as much as possible. FOUR HOURS. I’m goosed.

All the above criticisms are pretty fair. I’m struggling with lining objects up to select, and the focus/bino thing is a pisstake, but the slo-mo shots are STILL tremendous to wince at.

Comment

Yeah that radial selection menu is annoying but it's been like that for the past few games so I'm kinda used to it myself...

Rebellion could probably do with a complete overhaul at this stage but really I wonder if that's too expensive for them. The digital foundry analysis of this is up now and it's a good insight into the engine and it's limitations.

Comment

Working...
        X