Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - NSW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - NSW

Played this for a few hours so far and really enjoying the collecting and battling aspect. I'm looking through the graphical shortcomings, but by Jove they're indeed a bit of a shame. From slide show animations for objects in the not too far distance to camera clipping and judging from Twitter a whole host of crazy bugs. At least the immediate player and Pokémon models look nice. As does the UI.

The map looks massive! I hope they stick with this kind of approach for future Pokemon games, but on hopefully a more juiced up Nintendo console that can handle it (or spend more time optimising?).

As I said, I'm enjoying it so far. It's not been too much of a challenge so far, but I'm really enjoying the chill and collecting time I'm having. Nice switch of gears from playing Street Fighter and CoD

I'm not interested in Pokemon but from what I've seen, this generation is technically atrocious...Game Freaks and Nintendo should have used Xenoblade Chronicles' engine, and if that required extensive reworking on the game mechanics side, just drop the yearly schedule for the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      I'm not interested in Pokemon but from what I've seen, this generation is technically atrocious...Game Freaks and Nintendo should have used Xenoblade Chronicles' engine, and if that required extensive reworking on the game mechanics side, just drop the yearly schedule for the franchise.
      will never happen, minimum effort for big money and pokemon fans will eat that slop no matter how the game is or how they are treated.

Comment

Yeah, it won't happen until there's a serious misstep.

Comment

As I see it, this is the serious misstep. Maybe no Sonic '06 levels, but pretty serious nonetheless. The Switch games have been underwhelming from the technical standpoint, and the franchise can survive a year without a new or rehashed entry.

Comment

The game lacks that Nintendo solid seal of quality. So many times, I've thought - did they really look at this and say it was fine? It's like they gave the open world to Phoenix Games. The UI and artwork save it a little.

Comment

Comment

Yep, a new Switch for ironing out Pokemon technical shortcomings is an often cited wish on the internet but the Switch hardware is very much not the problem when it comes to these games. Game Freak just isn't technically up to snuff for it now they're off old style handhelds and throwing games out at such a rate.

Comment

I have played this for about 12 hours now and have just been focusing on catching Pokémon. I'm having a decent amount of fun because I am an absolute mark for Pokémon. One thing I'm not so sure about currently though is the element of freedom. In the past (even Arceus) progression has been deliberate and now I feel like I could go around doing my Pokédex while ignoring other elements of the game and steamroll everything once I feel satisfied with what I've caught. I'm not sure I like the change, feels kind of lazy?

The frame times are astonishingly bad though, it is quite a surprise to me that this was approved for release. I've not experience weird glitches like people have been posting on social media though, possibly because I don't have NSO. I had this thought while playing early on that if Iwata was still at the helm he wouldn't have allowed this to be released. It is disappointing and I'm hoping Game Freak pump out some performance fixes as soon as they can.

Comment

DF video up. Pretty damning.

Comment

It's fun in spite of itself. It's laggy, glitchy, slow and ugly. Even menu navigation is a chore. They need to lay off the yearly releases if this is how it's going to be.

Comment

Hoping this really makes a big improvement.

Comment

Working...
                        X