No announcement yet.

Outrun 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruv serious have you played Initial D ver.3 yet? If not get down here and buss it, it's unbelievably good and being a fan you'll explode.

They've overhauled the handling model, it's easier to fling the back end out at all speeds, drifts are longer too. The game is a little slower overall but this is so much better as you have a little more time to get proper involved in the corners. Even rubbish opponents like Shingo will fly past you, you got snow conditions - the game is ILL!

And the RX8 is a monster!

The drift model in Outrun 2 was sicker than Initial D's but ver.3 has taken care of that, seriously while Outrun's drifting is gorgeous - this system is better. Only complaint I have is the stupid names for the characters, Kylie, Caine.....Ry.....WTF??? Thankyou Tokyopop, your stupidity even stretches as far as arcade games.
    Last edited by Saurian; 19-08-2004, 10:24.

Comment

Ver.3 sounds good, i never really liked the handling of ver.2 felt to stiff. The best drift racer is still Battle Gear 2 imo, although the music is pap.

Still wish i hadnt got rid of Initial D though, i feel i should have gave it more time, but it just felt like the drifts were non existant.

Comment

That's exactly how I felt when I first started playing Initial D - but seriously with time (and I mean serious TIME learning the system) the drifting is off the hook, even on ver.2. I stopped playing it quite quickly but after watching the anime series (and Drift Bible ) I HAD TO give it another go and now I play it daily!

In ver.3 you can adjust the steering stiffness before you race - if you slacken it off fully you can proper throw the wheel with little resistance.

Comment

Think ill keep an eye out in the selling section for another copy, and give it another try.

Im guessing your talking about V2 in the arcade (only one here is knackered now) so what do you think of the drifting on the ps2 pad?

Comment

Initial D is an awesome racer! You really need to put the volume up when youre playing. The music just fits in perfectly with the game!

Comment

Nah man - I'm talking about the PS2 version!

It's totally SICK once you get the hang of it - and rather than it being something inferior to ver.3 it's a nice compliment to it. I play the arcade ver.3 after work and then go back home and most likely buss up the PS2 one aswell the same night I love em both off so much. I can sit there and create and level up new cars all day - different cars are strong on different tracks so it's worth trying loads. Story mode is pretty wicked too, worth doing it to unlock all the music.

Search Initial D in the QA folder - I wrote down bare stuff about the handling.

Comment

Saur, I've not playe v3 yet, but from that description it sounds like I'm missing out big time. I'm seriously rusty and will need to build up the skills again.

Ion, Its brilliant on the DualShock2. Although I would add that it takes a fair amount of time to get into it. You will find that initially you tend to oversteer too much and hit the inside barrier on the exit of the corners. You need to centre the stick much earlier than you think (Takumi style).

Having said that BG2 does have the most sublime drift handling model ever. Shame they cocked it up a bit for BG3.

Comment

May mosey on down into Edinburgh for the Games Festival to check out Burnout 3 and Outrun 2, could ruin the thrill of getting the real thing in a couple of months though?

Comment

Burnout 3 was sadly missing from the Edinburgh Games Festival when I was there on Tuesday as was Forza Motorsport, Outrun 2 was a demo version only but a very enjoyable demo all the same.

As much as I love Initial D the sensation of drifting isn't quite as good as in Outrun 2, Initial D v1/2 & Special Stage (can't comment on v3 because I haven't played it yet)have no real drift technique to speak of you just concentrate on the best race line, brake, shift down,turn and the actual drift is done for you with no control over it wheras in Outrun 2 you have almost total control over the drift allowing for prolonged Inertia Drifts(is this an actual term or did they just make it up in the Initial D anime/manga?).

I can't imagine what playing on the dual shock is like as I've always used the Logitech wheel since day one but I would suggest buying a good wheel if you are to get full enjoyment out of Initial D Special Stage. I'm hoping that Sega will release a smilar box set to the Initial D one for Outrun 2, having said that I had no real complaints about the way it plays with the Controller S.

Comment

how i love this game. the day after the first outrun got released (arcade) it took 10 years to get a proper conversion to play at home (the sega saturn version). but now with outrun 2 it seems that we do'nt have to wait that long

after looking at cerveral places on the internet for info about outrun 2, and after playing the arcade version at homerson's funland at scheveningen (the netherlands/holland/dutch) i barely can wait for it to arive. at www.kikizo.com i saw full footage from the E3 version on xbox (from start to finish) and by the looks of it, the game looks exactly like its arcade parent. sega did it again. now i will keep my fingers crossed for a quick release. i saw 2 dates, at first i saw 1 oct. on a site, and on a totally different site i saw 11 oct. but dont know what version will be released then. if i am not mistaken, the european version gets first released right ?

before i forget, here's the full link to the news about 2 surprises in outrun 2:

Video game reviews, previews, interviews, video downloads and cheats.

but right after this news, i did not saw newer news telling what those extra's could be. becouse they may not tell from sega yet.
                      Last edited by music_maniac1965; 22-08-2004, 16:18.

Comment

If you are looking for more news on the extra features and unlockables, Music_Maniac, there's a ton here you can check out

Comment

Thanks to the developers for taking the time to post and address questions here. You guys have no idea how much Sega fans are waiting for this to be released! And don't worry (despite this board's appearances) not everyone gives a damn about Burnout 3. I'll certainly be putting my cash towards Outrun 2 instead. While Burnout 2 borrowed the classic Sega arcade racer spirit, the latest Burnout totally ruins all that (imho) and is no substitute for the legendary legacy of Outrun... FINALLY cruising to Magical Sound Shower in Dolby 5.1 -- plus with Scud Racer and Daytona 2 tracks to boot! And on Xbox Live... just WOW this will be like a godsend for us Sega fans. Who would have thought we'd get another AAA title so close after the joy of F-Zero AX/GX
                          Last edited by Sega Ages; 18-09-2004, 10:56.

Comment

Hi,
                            I'am sorry to say that I was never that taken with Initial D on the PS2,I thought the control left alot to be desired.Admittably I was playing the game via the pad thoe.Do you all play the game via the steering wheel?I was just wondering if using this device really made a huge difference to the gamelplay and enjoyment of whole thing?
                            Is it just me who thought playing the game with a pad left you cold?
                            Ta famitsu1
                            Last edited by famitsu1; 18-09-2004, 18:28.

Comment

Sumo Digital Interview uploaded. Check the homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by famitsu1
                                Hi,
                                I'am sorry to say that I was never that taken with Initial D on the PS2,I thought the control left alot to be desired.Admittably I was playing the game via the pad thoe.Do you all play the game via the steering wheel?I was just wondering if using this device really made a huge difference to the gamelplay and enjoyment of whole thing?
                                Is it just me who thought playing the game with a pad left you cold?
                                Ta famitsu1
                                Using a wheel can drastically change the way a game plays, but at the end of the day Initial Ds handling left an awful lot to be desired. it was mash brake and fly round the corners. Kaido Battle 2 is a far better example an "initial d" game, and it's on the same mountain roads to boot.

Comment

Working...
                                X