Marvel's Midnight Suns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvel's Midnight Suns

I'd read good things about this but I've never been massively into tactical RPGs. Still, I wanted something with a bit of depth and gave it a go. I'm not exaggerating when I say I can't stop playing it. The cycle of each day and night constantly feed you into the next moment: Battle > Bond > Build Base > Build Self/Team > Battle ... it all adds and adds and adds up.

I'm not even the biggest fan of the Marvelverse, though I do enjoy comics, so it's not like I'm blinded by fandom. The gameplay is where it's all at for me.

It's made by Firaxis, the peeps who make the x-com games. I've never played them but gather there are elements on the battle system but it's not a simple re-skin. You take three characters into battle at a time and the depth just makes every encounter really satisfying ... mixing a card-based set-up with a tactical battlefield full of environmental elements to exploit. Missions ask more of you than merely clearing the board too ... although there isn't a huge range mission type, and some might feel it's a bit repetitive. Absolutely not me though.

Then back at base there's much to do ... expanding the base itself, the many operations that build your team, your card decks, etc, etc.

The social stuff, a-la Fire Emblem Three Houses, may feel slightly cringe for some. But the alternative might have been stuffy. It's light and breezy stuff and keeps a light-hearted vibe.

Had I played this back in December it would have been easy GOTY material. It's the most compulsive game I've played in years.

I'm around 40 hours into this now and my feelings haven't waned one bit. It's still all I want to play. The game is constantly rewarding and expanding ... more ways to strategise, more satisfying ways to win. Unlike some games, all of the characters are fun to build and battle with. It's brilliant. I'm having such a good time I bought the dlc, the first of which is Deadpool's The Good, The Bad and the Undead expansion ... loads of great content ... it's worth every penny.

Comment

Is this like Xcom in base structure and gameplay?

Comment

I don't know 100% as I've not played Xcom ... I'll defo be giving it a go in future though, that's for sure.

Comment

Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers will be able to play this for free over the weekend.

Comment

Working...
          X