Final Fantasy: Pixel Remasters [PC/PS4/NSW]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fantasy: Pixel Remasters [PC/PS4/NSW]

These have been on PC for a while now, but console ports have finally arrived. They’re available individually on storefronts, but there’s also a bundle option which mirrors the physical versions with all 6 games ready to go.

They all look pretty great, and they sound even better - adding in these big orchestral arrangements over the top certainly helps modernise them. PC folks were able to take matters into their own hands and modded the hideous half-width fonts out, but thankfully they made good with the console releases by giving a ‘Classic’ option that’s much more visually pleasing. From a presentation standpoint, I think the only real complaint I can levy is that taking the collection as a whole, they’ve all become pretty indistinguishable from one another and have lost a fair bit of individuality. This was already partly the case with previous remakes, but these are even more uniform than before. Not a huge deal for me personally, but also something you can't help but notice when jumping between them.

Platinum trophies are available for each game for those who care, with pretty straightforward - and again uniform - checklists of things to do; open all chests, visit all areas, complete the bestiary etc. One thing worth noting is that it really does not want the challenge of any of these games to get in the way of you enjoying them. There’s a ‘BOOST’ menu where you can add multipliers to your EXP / Gil gains, but even if you don’t go looking for help you’ll still likely spot that by default R3 is set to toggle encounters on/off, which can trivialise some of those tight spots you can find yourself in. Lose to a boss? Don’t sweat it, we auto-saved for you at the start of the current dungeon floor. All of the games have an auto-battle which speeds things up too - all of this adding up to a pretty streamlined way to experience these games.

The other big criticism I see levied at these is that they're all based on the original versions of the games rather than any subsequent remakes. This is holding some people back from labelling these as the definitive releases, as if you're looking for bonus content from Dawn of Souls, 3 DS, or 4/5/6 Advance, you're out of luck.

Personally, 1-3 were the only mainline games in the series that I’d never finished (bar 11) so I’ve just taken this opportunity to correct that. As it's my first time I can't comment on any gameplay changes, but from these, it's 2 that's surprised me the most, with a much bigger focus on story than the two games either side of it, a complete departure from standard EXP -> level up system, and a battle system that quite honestly falls apart towards the end. The usual song and dance about acquiring Ultima is made, yet you're left with no time to bring it up to any kind of usable standard, whereas one weapon I was advised to use against the final boss killed it in two hits

Not sure if I’m going to carry on with 4-6 just yet, particularly as I only just played 5 in GBA format last year, but I certainly like having these modern ports widely available as my new preferred option for them.
    Last edited by fuse; 07-05-2023, 14:41.

I've been eyeing V and VI.
    V is a guilty pleasure. It's just a really fun Final Fantasy that doesn't really take itself seriously. Haven't played it for ages.

VI is just brilliant.

Comment

When I opened this thread, I got some kind of popup showing a progress bar, like Windows was copyinf a file - and the video does not play. Anyone else seen similar?

Comment

Played and finished FF1 and it was great. Relatively easy in terms of difficulty but there were some rough spots in regard to what you should do next. For an RPG, they could have afforded a few more text boxes from NPCs giving you a little bit of direction but I guess this was super early days in the genre. Surprised by how many references there were to other games and movies. In the Elf town there's a grave with Link written on it, and later on in the game in the dwarf mountain, you can find a Mythril Armor, nice LOTR reference lol. Game has a DnD inspired magic system which has each tier of magic have limited amounts of uses, recovered by resting. So that's where Tents come from huh. Plenty of mechanics lifted from Dragon Quest also

Comment

I think 1 is pretty great, and lays a lot of solid foundational stuff that writes the rulebook that 2 then promptly takes and throws into the shredder. 3 scales back a lot of that complexity and feels a lot closer to 1, instead becoming all about a wider range of jobs for you to freely tinker with. Following that, 4 tries to marry that up with the story side of things, and straight away starts asking questions about what each of those jobs actually means for each of the characters.

As you can tell, I'm having fun playing them quickly in order and building up my own context around how each of them

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          When I opened this thread, I got some kind of popup showing a progress bar, like Windows was copyinf a file - and the video does not play. Anyone else seen similar?
          My anti-Asura measures worked exactly as expected! But no, the YouTube embed is behaving fine for me, sorry!

Comment

That's actually a really nice bit of concise context on the differences between those early games.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              Did you plug in one of these? Don't plug those in, they do bad things.

I completed a playthrough of FF1 and started FF2, but I couldn't get on with the job system. FF1 is quite a hard slog too, there are random encounters that will simply just wipe your party if you stray into the wrong place. I think I will still prefer the battles compared to FF16 mind, from what I've seen.

Final Fantasy has come a long way since the first game, it's a difficult one to recommend unless you're a dedicated JRPG fan, at £10-15 each, they're surprisingly reasonably priced.
              Last edited by MartyG; 10-05-2023, 20:33.

Comment

Ohhh, 2 gets a lot worse for that later on! There's this one chest that's about 5 or 6 floors into a dungeon, and as well as glorious treasure, it contains monsters. The monsters in question are 5 Coeurls and a Lamia Queen, and while this doesn't sound too problematic, there is something VERY broken with the Coeurls in this game. Besides their move that inflicts paralysis, they get a guaranteed insta-kill if their standard attack connects.

If you look online you quickly realise how infamous this section is - here's a Reddit post, there's a Steam thread, and so on. I basically had to retry the encounter until I got lucky enough for a pre-emptive strike, and even then was reliant on each of my party being strong enough to one-shot a Coeurl on each turn. Then in contrast, here's what happened when I faced off against the final boss. Spoilers, obvs.

Comment

Despite other plans, I carried on playing these.

Given I'd already played 5 in its Advance flavour as recently as last year, this was the point when I started to use the boosts a bit more liberally just for a smoother, less grind-mandatory experience. It's a solid entry in the series; the defining gameplay characteristic being the expansion of the job system, whereas outside circumstances means it will always be the FF game we got way too late, when it was already a 'retro' game, and was much harder to appraise objectively.

From there it was onto 6, the last game in the collection, which (until 14 sunk its teeth into me) has been the FF game I've continued to hold up as my favourite, even though I've never played it through again since the very first time. That was right after its original US SNES release; in fact here is a photograph of me, circa late '94 outside the Poole branch of Software Box.

Some things immediately struck me; after complaining about the Pixel Remasters somewhat homogenising everything earlier in this thread, this one bucks that trend immediately. Characters have so much more personality in how they both look and are written, locations have buckets more texture and detail, and everything just has so much more charm. As much as I have rambled about playing through and enjoying the others, this is leaps and bounds forward, with so many great story moments in the opening few hours alone. Then there's the music! There are so many great tracks, and nothing about the new arrangements jarred for me at any point.

I'm sure it's the same for many of you here: my relationship with this series spans decades, and is littered with personal anecdotes and memories. Right at the start, hearing Terra's theme as we march through the snow I'm reminded of hearing the LSO play an adaptation of it that conjured up so much nostalgia that it brought me to tears, and then bookmarking it at the other end, I'm fighting Kefka while mentally back at Distant Worlds, hearing Dancing Mad being played on the incredible organ setup at the Royal Albert Hall. Throughout my play time I've been inadvertently reminded of poring over piecemeal coverage of strategies for the game in Super Play, discussing the game with friends (including the one who I sold my copy to!), and many happy evenings playing it all those years ago.

Those of you who played 6 on an actual SNES might remember that there was a glitch when played on a PAL system using an import converter cart. During the ending, when running through each character's individual outro bit, Gogo's scene would consistently soft-lock the game, meaning that everyone without an actual NTSC system never got to see a good chunk of the ending. I remember Super Play eventually printed the missed scenes in the magazine some time after, but I think there's something particularly special for me finally doing this - after all these years, and not just looking it up on YouTube, but instead putting in the hours to play through each one of these games to completion, and to finally getting to see the actual ending of the one I've always had the strongest connection to.

TLDR: Final Fantasy 6 rules.

Yes, yes, achievements / trophies are pointless, counter-intuitive, intrusive wastes of time etc... but screw it. Having this little run of games displayed like this does mean a little something to me.

Last edited by fuse; 10-06-2023, 01:23.

Comment

Working...
                  X