[NSW, PC] Etrian Odyssey Origins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[NSW, PC] Etrian Odyssey Origins

It's time to once again venture in the Yggradsil labyrinth and getting PTSD after seeing your party mauled by purple butterflies the moment you step outside the tutorial area.
    Kidding, even the tutorial area can kill you.

Etrian Odyssey Origins is a collection of the first three Etrian Odyssey games that were published on the DS, adapted to hardware that doesn't feature two screens, a touch screen, a pen input, or a combination of both.
    The games can be purchased as a compilation or separately, and if you want to try out one, go for the third.

The approach to these ports is that they are straight ports of the DS originals, so EO1 and EO2 lack any of the updates introduced in the Untold editions available on the 3DS. This means enemies are static sprites and not animated models, there's a limited number of character portraits that cannot be customised in colour, the skill balancing is the same, and there are still the same limits as on the DS, like limited number of characters in text entries and no real way to plot down teleport points (hello 6th layer in EO1).
    There's a number of improvements, although minor: each class has an extra portrait, options for all games share the improvements made in EO3 (like request to end turn after you input the last action, or movement speed in the labyrinth), and on PC there's a small number of graphical options. I'm pretty sure any kind of PC will be able to run this at whatever framerate, we're talking about DS graphics to which you can even disable antialiasing.

Talking about graphics...well, they hold up greatly. The drawing distance is only a few tiles away, but environmental textures and enemy sprites look surprisingly good, as someone actually spent some time rescanning the original illustrations rather than just upscaling what's in the DS ROMs, and I'm playing at 4K on a 32" inch monitor. Playable and non-playable portraits clearly show pencil strokes, and this is a testament to EO's overall excellent art direction.
    Music is still great, we're talking about Yuzo Koshiro, so there's nothing much to say here, they sounded great on the DS' small speakers, they sound even better on decent speakers today.

Now, the interface. Developers did everything they could to bring Etrian Odyssey to double-touch-screen-less systems, and the result works. It takes a bit to get used to though, whatever your previous experience with the franchise is.
    For my first go I used my laptop, a Surface Book because it has a touch screen and pen support. The game cannot be controlled entirely with the mouse/pen, you need the keyboard to control the party in the labyrinth, and the interface isn't exactly mouse-friendly: controllers/keyboards are clearly the primary focus here, given the interface is exactly the same as on the DS (adapted to a single 16:9 screen). But I did this specifically for the map drawing part, and with a pen it's basically the same as on the DS: left hand to control movement and inputs, right hand to draw the map (you can change dominant hand in the options). I then switched from pen to mouse and the experience didn't change much, though I settled in using the directional arrows for movement and WASD for secondary movement (strafe and so on).
    There are keyboard (and thus controller) shortucts for pretty much every part of the interface, but I think this plays better on PC or on portable Switch with touch controls: the interface is clearly thought for something more than buttons, and no matter how many shortcuts you introduce, it'll never be as good as in the original. Think Darkest Dungeon on console: sure, you can do it, but mouse/touch controls are oh-so-much immediate that there isn't even a contest.
    You can forego map drawing completely if you so chosse with the fully automatic map drawing function in the options, but that removes a huge part from Etrian Odyssey. This lets you play with the "game" (the upper DS screen, the one where you see the labyrinth) set to full screen, rather than sharing the screen with map and zoomed map.

As the game goes...I've just started EO1 and is the same as before, therefore I summon the threads of old.

Etrian Odyssey
    Etrian Odyssey II
    Etrian Odyssey III
    Etrian Odyssey Untold
    Etrian Odyssey Untold II

Finally made it out of the first layer.
    There was a session in which my party was savaged down to the last member and each revival costed 100en, and I had 50 or something, which resulted in several grinding runs on the first floor to get everyone back up.
    Defeated the first layer boss, Fenrir, with the barty at level 16, though my Landsketch (or however it's spelled) died on the last turn before my medic could heal her...oh well. Running with a standard party of landsketch, protector, medic, alchemist, and survivalist. As soon as I unlock the ronin class (long road ahead, have to get to floor 11 and I've just started the 6th!) the survivalist will be phased out to have two members with elemental attacks the landsketch can follow with her chaser skills.
    And maybe when the hexer class is available I'll rebuild the party with two casters (hexer and alchemist) and respec the landsketch as an axe user.
    But that's a looong way to go, I'm playing less than an hour per day in parallel to Tears Of The Kingdom, and knowing which skills are useful or not quickens the pace a bit, but you still have to contend with Etrian Odyssey's trademark difficulty (at least in expert mode). The first encounter in the second layer, two slimes, once again decimated the part, with only the alchemist making out alive by the skin of her teeth, but luckily I had money to revive everyone immediately.

Comment

Sounds pretty good to me briareos! I guess I can see why it is PC and Switch only from the write up. After playing the excellent Dungeon Encounters I wouldn't mind giving these games a go, same kind of itch you know?

Comment

Finally got to the third stratum and unlocked to ronin class. Swapped out the survivalist for a brand new ronin, and now I'm trying to get her up to speed...the rest of the party is at level 38, and ronins are glass cannons...the new ronin gets one-shot by pretty much everything, but I was able to get her to level 15 and unlock one elemental katana skill. Well, I was kinda prepared for this, though I think on the DS I decided to continue with the party I had from the beginning.

A couple of things I noticed: the undo function when drawing the map is a godsend. During battles the keys to select enemies to attack are the turn keys, not the strafe keys...at first I though that during battle you had to use the arrow keys, as I remapped A and D to strafe.
        I really appreciate how all primary controls are duplicated, for example enter, spacebar, and return can all be used to confirm an input, and WASD and the arrow keys can be used for movement and UI navigation. You can easily go around the labyrinth with just your left hand and draw the map with your right (or swap that if you are a leftie), and it's very useful if you are exploring areas already mapped...like when undertaking the quest to stay in B8F for 5 days.

Comment

I meant to update this thread a while back, when I reached the 4th stratum in EO1, but before posting I reached the 5th, and then beaten the final (story) boss in EO1, and now I have to deal with the elemental dragons...I forgot that one requires either an invenory full of debuff items or a Trobadour to dispel its regen buff (1750 HP per turn!), and not having a Trobadour I need to collect enough funds for the potions. Sigh.

So I started Etrian Odyssey 3, after booting up the DS original and making a note of party composition...only to remember that Shoguns aren't unlocked from the start, so I went with a Zodiac instead.
          I jumped EO2 because if you clear everything in EO1 you get some extra items in the sequel (it was via password, on Steam EO2 looks at your EO1 system save) that really help...EO2 was even more brutal than its predecessor, especially in the beginning.

Etrian Odyssey 3 is my second favourite game in the series, a close contender to Etrian Odyssey 4, and it's pretty impressive playing EO1 and EO3 back-to-back noticing all the improvements in iterface, character progression, classes, map design, art, and so on.
          But it also shows some weaknesses in this collection, namely that all three games use the same engine and some system options aren't shared.

I think developers took EO3's engine and ported the other two titles to it: you have EO3's auto-walk function in EO1 and EO2, along some map icons linked to mechanics exclusive to EO3 (like tents), and there are no number tiles for teleports, which are incredibly important in EO1.
          Key bindings and message speed options aren't shared between games, and performance is the same across all games: I've noticed that dealing a critical hit slows makes EO1 and EO3 skip frames, and with criticals being more common in EO3, battles aren't as fluid in EO1.

But still, these are minor complains. Really wish Sega and Atlus would do a second collection with EO4, EO5, and Etrian Odyssey Nexus next. And then a third collection with the two Etrian Odyssey Untold and Etrian Odyssey 3 Untold. And then the two Mystery Labyrinth spin-offs.

Comment

Working...
          X