Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)

I'm 11 hours in according to my save file, and not much has changed gameplay wise from the 'demo' which is bit disappointing, i was fully expecting more customisation options on getting further into the game similar to Nier:Automata, the game it closely follows in gameplay but it's all given to you at the start of the game for combat skills and so far no different weapon types, just a claymore to swing with limited options, augmented with classic Final Fantasy summons called Eikons in this game. These give 3 extra powers each which can be switched on the fly, a spammable move for Ifrit its a quick step towards the enemy even in the air, then 2 slots for cooldown moves from a choice of 4, 2 locked to start with but generally you want 1 HP damage and 1 stagger damage. I'd suggest against wasting any exp on the locked choices, the middle power is a low cooldown ability but in stagger and damage is completely worthless against tough/boss enemies while your normal cooldowns and general combat moves are more than enough for the normal mobs that come at you.

As stagger damage would suggest the core gameplay is break tough/boss enemies stagger bar then zerg that damage, options for this at the start are limited but gaining the 2nd eikon does vary it up bit. Gaining the Dog is an annoying constant button pressing of the D-pad to get any worth out of it, his main use is the ravage command to throw weak enemies in the air for combos which is fun. Aside from that the major bosses tend to have large cutscenes for QTE's that usually end up in the Kaiju battles which thankfully after the 1st one which is one long glorified 15minute cutscene the rest are more involved that.

Healing is mainly done (so far 11 hours in) via potion bottles limited to carrying 4 normal and 3 Hi, which are usually found 1 or 2 at time after string of fights or leading up to a boss fight. I've yet to die in any fight so far (come close a few times) so no idea how it handles checkpointing and refilling potions. The dog can give weak regen to recover what i would call street fighter like 'red hp' and limit break mode can regen (small amounts) through damaging enemies.

What is key to me for my Final Fantasy game is having equipment and stats, in this game it all means nothing so far, you'll see random stats rise when you level up but it means nothing to combat, the only key one is a bit more HP. No point in upgrading any gear, your just given better equipment after each chapter using a boss material to craft a new blade that'll last maybe 30 minutes. Accessories so far provide only def, and the necklaces meaningless low % increases for cooldown abilities (outside of the crutch powers like auto parry, auto dog for those that want to play an FF game but not an action game).

Music been quite disappointing, outside of the 2 battle themes and couple of boss themes which are excellent, the rest of the field and town tunes all sound like it's been lifted from cutting room floor of Nier rather than a Final fantasy game. Voice acting is very English in the way Dragon quest dubs have been, Clive and Jill are very bland compared to Cid who is easily the best character in the game and quite a unique vocal fry to his voice and gav's quite fun to.

Stories been quite easy to follow (contrary to what i'd heard in the games media headlines) and i'm enjoying the main quest. The sidequest stuff so far has been worthless rewards of tiny exp and gil for the effort of putting up with cringe on the nose stories about racism which are badly voiced. Early game reminds me alot of FF13 railroad experience, so far there been very little freedom so i'm hoping it won't take 40 hours to reach a true open world.

As far a spoilers go for where i am. I've done 2 hrs after coming back from Eastpool Village to see Cid about his plan.

I'm really disappointed to see Cid exit the story but it seems we have to get Ramuh's powers at some point so i was fully expecting it to happen, I can't see Clive carrying the story on his own and Jill doesn't help much being captain bland. The only times i liked Clive was through Cid, specially story missions leading up to his death and reveal of the true Big bad which has to be one of the most unworldly creepy evils SE have ever come but with and i'm always down for Man vs Fate with some God killing along the way and now most of humanity can go on the fire to after we just moved to the new hideout, if these Branded can't even be bothered fight against the miserable and painful life they already have and blame new Cid for further misfortunes rather than see this is chance to rise up, get in the fire.

As for the technical stuff, nothing was improved in the day 1 patch, the motion blur is still there and can often been seen in the cutscenes causing a double image outline on characters. While the main combat is faultless, exploration isn't, unstable frame-rate with a blurry mess on turning the camera.

I think we're roughly at the same part of the game. To me it's really interesting coming to this from XIV as that game's fingerprints are all over this, and while they've had the hardware and the budget to scale up in nearly every regard, there are a couple of things which still feel like they're out of an MMO - my biggest complaint so far and one area where I'd totally agree with you are sidequests, which are still very basic fetch quests. It's the one area where I'm really hoping things get bigger and more engaging at things go on.

Aside from this though, I'm absolutely loving this. I'm ok with the gear progression being what it is, I think the music's great, the visuals stunning, and the action absolutely spot on. I'm so glad they actually got a really solid team together of combat designers together for this, as it's paid off massively. Characters and story all very good too, and the various ways that it's all mapped out are great at stopping you from missing details here and there because you don't immediately recognise Royal Bloke X from a cut scene hours earlier.

Oh, one tip I'd make is to switch to controller type C. This way magic is bound to L1 rather than triangle, making it much easier to charge while you're hammering away with physicals, so when you let it go as a combo ender you're getting fully powered versions.

Comment

Yeah I'm a bit indifferent to it right now. You guys are further along than me and it doesn't sound like it changes much.
      I think FF7R is the better game right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
        Yeah I'm a bit indifferent to it right now. You guys are further along than me and it doesn't sound like it changes much.
        I think FF7R is the better game right now.
        I would say yes to FF7r being a better game, im not indifferent to it as i'm enjoying the main story. The still limited equipment and accessories is a bad choice for a 'RPG' and the choice to only have one weapon type really hurts, i can't see why they wouldn't let you equip something like a polearm then get Dragoon like basic abilities where []+X would be a Jump attack, charging [] would be impulse drive or penta thrust, classic FF stuff.

I reached what i think is Mid game, the northern areas have opened up(abit) and the notorious monster hunt board is now available to me and i have been given a clear goal for the MC to follow in the main story that i'm eager to see play out.

If you can follow Fuse's C control method it works wonders on stagger damage, i tried it but 15 hours on default i can't stop getting lock-on and eikon switch mixed up so i've gone back to default.

Comment

Have now learned (i don't remember the game ever telling me this) that mastering cooldown abilities let you put them on any eikon slot which is useful for being able to ditch the 3rd Eikon power but keep its very quick and high stagger damage cooldown AoE move it comes with.

Also come across a nice necklace that fixed my magic problem, it's auto charges magic when entering combat so it usually always ready when i finish a combo.

As for sidequests i'm now coming across ones that have + sign on them which give all sorts of gameplay upgrades.

Comment

Absolutely loving this. The combat is lovely and snappy. I can see why it's going to hit and miss though. People may have been hoping for a big open world or similar, but it's more similar to the likes FFX and XII. There are some great looking wide areas to explore, hidden chests etc.

Reminds me of other recent RPGs in terms of it's RPG elements, such as Tales of Arise and Y's VIII/IX. You can still get better weapons etc as the shop upgrades, still craft better stuff and all have great action combat mechanics. What stands out for me in this is the story and the voices that help tell it. The epic boss battles and the Eikons. It's all presented beautifully too, from its excellent UI, to the the awesome world you get to pass through. I feel a more traditional RPG may have put me to sleep. This feels to the point and streamlined, which is perfect for dad gamer.
            Last edited by hudson; 26-06-2023, 01:06.

Comment

Yeah, I'm still loving this too - spent most all of the weekend slogging away at it.

Balance between exploration and linearity is just about right for my tastes, and I'm finding there's plenty sufficient depth in the combat to make up for being shoehorned into one weapon type. I'm particularly enjoying the most recent set of Eikon skills and abilities I've gotten, which is pushing it even more into the kind of territory where I'd recommend the "arcade mode" setup to action game players, if there was some way to not have to do all of the RPG bits that open it up.

I really don't get the "it's not Final Fantasy" complaint at all. I do agree that it's taken a lot of outside inspiration - the Game of Thrones influence is undeniable - but it is still very much what it says on the box and with some of the best characters and plot points that it's ever had.

Comment

So this is without a shadow of a doubt the most boring game I've ever played in my life. Having spent most of the weekend on it I can say that I have not only never died in this game (without using the 'cheat' rings i might add) but also that my interest in the battles were so low that I literally had youtube on in the background while fighting. Most boss fights go on for so long that I usually have a toilet break in the middle and make a cup of tea and come back.
                Square, Square, Square, Square, dodge
                Square, Square, dodge, magic

Yawn

You have a jumping attack...never used it. Never needed to. Sure I could throw one in to mix it up a bit, but it makes no difference. The specials you can trigger...pointless. Doesn't do anything to the target except take slightly more HP off the enemy.

I'm beyond disappointed. I love the franchise, but this is 100X worse than 15. I'd easily say 13 is better, and I HATED 13. This is just walking down 'Corridors' fighting scripted enemies.

Game deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  So this is without a shadow of a doubt the most boring game I've ever played in my life. Having spent most of the weekend on it I can say that I have not only never died in this game (without using the 'cheat' rings i might add) but also that my interest in the battles were so low that I literally had youtube on in the background while fighting. Most boss fights go on for so long that I usually have a toilet break in the middle and make a cup of tea and come back.

Yawn

You have a jumping attack...never used it. Never needed to. Sure I could throw one in to mix it up a bit, but it makes no difference. The specials you can trigger...pointless. Doesn't do anything to the target except take slightly more HP off the enemy.
                  Aside from the Eikon fights which i agree with, boss/tough enemies are at most 3 to 5 minutes and by the sounds of it, it's a you problem by not engaging with combat system, not aiming for stagger damage with certain cooldowns, chaining combo into burst or cooldowns, using Gaurda for the stagger pull down for the halfway break for a large stun window and its own cooldown to lunch into the air and fall using the jump attack. Jump will be needed later on as bosses and NM fights have Nier like ground waves that i'm pretty sure you can't ground dodge through.

Still it does hold some muster, i'm 21 hours in with 5 eikon powers but with still the same basic combat setup, can this carry on for another 40 hours occasionally adding a new [O] power from the Eikon, when you really can't lose Phoenix or Garudas [O] powers leaving you with 1 slot to play with. Probably not.

Comment

It's a me thing in that I don't need to get engaged with the fights. I can just stay back, jump in with a few attacks (just hammer square) and then back off. The game doesn't demand that I do anything else. In FF7r i have to change stances, or switch characters to get staggers. Use magic against weaknesses. This game requires only the square button be pressed. Sure I could finish a battle in 3 to 5 minutes, but if the gameplay doesn't drive that kind of engagement, why should I? I shouldn't have to make the game fun by getting more stuck in, the game should force me to get stuck in.
                    If i really wanted, I could even just stand in the side lines and hammer Triangle. It'd be even more boring, but the game won't punish me for doing that, nor will it reward me for not doing that.

This comparison to Nier and DMC is stupid too. Both of these games will absolutely punish you if you aren't switching things up and using specific combos to take out enemies. They drive the gameplay and reward you for taking different strategies.

Comment

the punishment is making the fights last forever, which you complain about.

Comment

Yeah using just mash square is gonna make it feel long and boring.

There's a lot of fun to be found in the combat system. Charging square to do launchers, square and x to slam enemies down to earth etc. It's quite robust and the feedback is of cool looking, damage and just feel good factor is what makes it.

Your playing Ridge Racer in manual transmission but not changing gears
                        Last edited by hudson; 26-06-2023, 13:42.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                          Yeah using just mash square is gonna make it feel long and boring.

There's a lot of fun to be found in the combat system. Charging square to do launchers, square and x to slam enemies down to earth etc. It's quite robust and the feedback is of cool looking, damage and just feel good factor is what makes it.

Your playing Ridge Racer in manual transmission but not changing gears
                          Don't need to. If I can win races in Ridge Racer without changes gears, why bother?
                          Why bother mixing it up? Demand something of me! Make me do things game! I beg you.
                          In what world should a AAA £70 game only require a single button be pressed and you can walk through the game?

Games need to drive the gameplay, not the player.

Comment

I was just commenting on why you may find that monotonous. Sure you could win a Street Fighter battle using light punch only, but it will take you a good while. Nothing wrong with you not wanting to learn the systems, but I just thought I would suggest how you might get more out of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                              I was just commenting on why you may find that monotonous. Sure you could win a Street Fighter battle using light punch only, but it will take you a good while. Nothing wrong with you not wanting to learn the systems, but I just thought I would suggest how you might get more out of the game.
                              You couldn't win Street Fighter that way. That's my point. The game will kick your ass if you try. You need to block, throw, special and everything in between, because the game forces you to.
                              This game forces nothing from you. You have all these extra moves and stuff, but its all just fluff. You can 100% get by without doing any of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X