Alan Wake 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alan Wake 2

Playing on PC i7, 3070, '4k' on balanced with geforce experience auto setting everything else looks real pretty and runs smooth.

Remedys long awaited follow up to Alan Wake, American Nightmare and Control. I have fond memories of AL1 back on the 360 being a decent 3rd person shooter with interesting characters and world setting, AM was a nice bit of DLC and i liked Control which i played early 2022 when it hit PSN service for 'free', a fairly hardcore 3rd person shooter which went much deeper on lore dumping the Alan Wake universe with the agency set up to basically do x-files stuff.

Alan Wake 2... After initially being wowed by the graphics and liking B-film like acting, tropes and writing to the very early Saga parts, it just find it deeply flawed, from the gameplay and the story/characters, no idea why the major sites giving it such high scores.

Gameplay, I'll start with it now being a survival horror more in line with low intensity Resident Evil 4, gone is the action from 1 and Control, no where to be found. Replacing the action is walking around clicking 'A' in barely interactive world to find a couple dull puzzles sparsely dotted around which are mostly, can you read this number your flash light can see, put thing on thing, or turn light on or off. It really doesn't hit home how empty and plastic the world is until you get to Bright Falls, a small town, a couple of npc's with 1 line of dialogue, usually no interaction, usually nothing to say on the out of this world stuff happening around them, something even NPC in JRPG's improved on. Other little things like the main characters turning the flash light off when interacting with stuff so you can't see what they are doing or picking up, a clear example of this is interacting with the deer trophies.. it's really embarrassing. Next flaw is no compass, i'm ok not having a mini map with the small/no UI they are going for, but they could at least add a small compass so i don't need to keep opening the map to find my way without the ability to way-point stuff, just knowing i'm going north or east would help alot.

The no way-point stuff doesn't matter to much until you get to Alan's sections, they open up the puzzle area bit and it's up to you just walk around triggering cutscenes for puzzles which then require you to go to the mind pace to slap the collected puzzle piece in the right place, and you'll be doing that alot with Saga.

Gunplay is fine, it's typical Remedy, so if you have played AL1 or Control, it just that but much slower and getting hit makes a massive mess of the screen so just mash the dodge button till you get some breathing space. Also add it doesn't checkpoint well, so expect to lose 15/20 minutes of progress if you die to a ambush or respawning Taken (takes about 3/4 hits to die from Max HP, limited healing), which means redoing cutscenes, replacing puzzle bits in the mind place, recollecting items you found, this really ticks me off, why not have the game save after every cutscene, the save rooms don't feature limited saving so why do i have to run back to save room if want to go out exploring for hidden items and ability upgrades.

Next is the story which at first i thought 'this is ok', a little stupid with when meeting the 2 deputies the first time and Saga never having to explain to others why they should go along these deductions, i'll give it some space, maybe Remedy is hiding stuff for now that would be cleared later on, but it just keeps getting stupider and stupider when you reach the police station and dinner. Full murder witness interview in a crowded dinner, Saga not in the slightest phased or interested in what Rose said, both Casey and Saga acting like nothing much happened to the vanishing and dead cops, the police station not giving/reacting a damn about gun shots, 2 dead cops, the damned Sherriff missing in small town, letting the 2 witnesses Saga and Casey just walk out without so much of word on her hunch that they need to be elsewhere, what a bag of boiling piss. The Alan section isn't much better past the interesting opening.

I can only assume people defending this say it's suppose to be intentionally bad writing as Alan tries to write his way out of the dark place, but that shouldn't excuse characters treating everything very matter or fact or barely effecting them, they just come off like psychos.

as for changes to Saga

i can only assume it's not the real the Saga from the pervious game and these channelling suspects bits where she asspulls deductions are just Agency level psychic stuff and i assume Breaker isn't real either as i'm sure it was women last time i played.

I'm very early in this, real soft spot for the first game. I'm still milling about town with Saga following through with her deductions.

It's not very good so far, is it?

My heart already sinks every time she goes into her 'mind palace'. Feels like for the opening they've dragged a cutscene out over the course of an hours gameplay that features very little to no gameplay. Really hoping the game features a severe uptick in quality soon.

Comment

I'm still earlyish as progress has been a bit slow. For 2-3 nights in a row I just bounced right off it. Last night I sat down to give it one final real push and until the game decides to step it up basically treated it as a fancy looking walking sim. I managed to make some decent progress and came away in a better place with it so I'll continue and hope the game just has a bad opening. The caseboard still absolutely sucks though, constantly breaking the flow to add precious little.

Comment

Oh man, these opinions are putting me right off. I told myself I would only get it in a sale because of the digital only release but it sounds like a few trusted members bouncing off it is bad news.

I bought Dead Space remaster instead for a bit of festive horror.

Comment

i stopped playing it after getting about an hour into playing as Alan, just after getting deep into subway, got ambushed by 2 taken, died and lost about 20 minutes, which would probably take 10 minutes of repeating crappy light switching puzzles and skipping cutscenes to get back to where i was. Deleted it, sadly nearly 6hrs in so no refund (no idea if epic store even does that).

Bad game, bad terrible story, (mostly) bad acting, a blight on Remedy's AL universe. The lead dev bloke who plays Casey is just too much, like the western version of Kojima with the leash off, less talent and no-one to edit him... go make some TV series you hack.
          Last edited by Tobal; 20-11-2023, 11:26.

Comment

So far it feels like where Control placed an emphasis on action, with the setting being worked around that and less on the narrative elements, with Alan Wake II they seem to have decided to make the opposite. Encounters that are few with a very heavy emphasis on story telling and atmosphere building. But in doing so have swung the pendulum too far. My enjoyment of the first game and the rave responses that the game has broadly received are the main thing pulling me through so far but so far I feel like there's been very little 'game' to it, the most traditional section being a boss encounter which wasn't great. I'm really curious as to why it's now that people are deeply into Remedy's output.

Comment

Managed to get through nearly three chapters last night. I'm going to hold back for now on what I think Remedy has done with this game for now in case the second half reveals otherwise but I think I clocked it last night and why it's so... restrained an experience.

Comment

I was enjoying the legwork and investigation and generally all of the opening parts. What I bounced off was the battle in the woods with Nightingale. I had a bunch off attempts but it just did my head in ... the controls felt way too clumsy for a demanding boss + claustrophobic environment. I think he's been diluted a little thanks to an update but I'll probably start the game again when I go back.

Comment

I'm around two thirds in and if I'm being honest - it's finally clicked. The game seems to just have an incredibly slow build up and whilst Saga remains less than interesting as a lead the game has begun to sew its areas together, stretching its legs more with well spaced encounters and good movement in the plot. If it can maintain itself through the final chapets it might overall come to match some of the level of praise I've read.

Comment

So, finished the game and I'm somewhat flabbergasted to be saying it but it might just have pipped to be GOTY choice. I say that on the basis that 2023 hasn't had a title I consider an all time great but despite that slow burn start that was off putting things did eventually pick up and the game is actually pretty long so once it did there was still a long way to go for it to dig its claws in. There are one or two sections that go on a bit long, usually in the Dark Place. There's still too much mind place stuff but eventually it really goes to town and recaptures the appeal of the first game. Days later I still find myself thinking back on it too and where a third game might go. It's most closest to RE4 out of this years offerings and if you made me replay one of them I'd likely pick AW2 so fairs fair, in the end, the game won me over.

Comment

Working...
                    X