No announcement yet.

Breakdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Japan's chart is even more ****ed than ours. It like, rewards two or three games and the rest gets shafted. Even in the mutliformat section. That is totally messed up.

Comment

Played some more last night.

Very much enjoying this, my favourite Xbox game. YEAH that's what I said.

Not much cop graphically, but it's original enough to play and the story is insanely intriguing. And as Vaipon said, some of the sequences are stupendously cool.

Speaking of cool, that main evil dude is precisely a cross between Dante and the Tyrant from RE:make

Comment

I have been playing this nearly non stop, and can't seem to put it down.
        You get more powerful as you progress through the game, and just when you think you can kick ass, the game smacks you back down.

I have no idea whats going on in the story becasue its like an episode of quantum leap...

But imo this is by far the best game on the XB...Well done Namco !!

Comment

Wow, I didn't realise the disk with xbox R:RE had a DVD of this game...must watch it tonight! Any idea what it has in it?

Comment

But imo this is by far the best game on the XB...Well done Namco !!
            Do you mean of this year or in total? I can't decide whether to plunge in and get the import version of wait for a US or UK release.

FB

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
              Admittedly the variety of textures is very poor and will probably be the first thing you notice... reminded me of Goldeneye initally.
              Wierd, that's exactly what I though after seeing a vid and looking at some of the pics. Just has that GE look and feel about it.

I'm looking fwd to this after the positive response from ppl so far, any idea of a US release date yet...?

Ah yes 17/3/04, damn too long...

Comment

Well all the speech is in English (with Japanese subtitles) so the language barrier isn't so much of an issue in the import decision-making process. Some of the narrative (and, i fear, possibly some of the puzzle clues) is advanced through Japanese text only - for example, clipboards with information can be picked up and read but the text on them is legible only via the provided (Japanese) subtitles. Also there are occasional choices to make as to Derrick's replies to questions from other characters, again, only readable in Japanese - although you'll find out what he says via the English voice acting that ensues.

At first I thought that the controls would be a bit clunky, and to tell the truth they are. Namco suggest a Goldeneye-esqe joystick control method as opposed to the halo standard "move with left stick and look with right" that some of us are more accustomed to. although this can be changed via the options, the strafe-bandits amongst us will grow annoyed at the enforced centering of the view whenever the strafe command is used.

However the flip side of this is that the game is totally atmospheric. I'm almost surprised that no one has thought to direct a game in this manner and style before - the immersion is quite something else. The effect of the director being able to control everything you see is wonderfully commanded to an often chilling effect - although I get terrified by first person shockers in general anyway. It unashamedly borrows aspects from Half-Life and System Shock but does these titles proud in this implementation of those techniques. Being able to see your own body adds supremely to anything these two other titles have provided before, as well. Particularly in the aforementioned hallucination sequence - I thought I was just seeing a vision that would pass but when you catch a glimpse of the shadows showing Derrick's arms devoid of their flesh and then his skeletal hands as he raises his firearm again, the effect is clear and instant. This game is going the extra mile to impress.

Unfortunately, since I'm not a survival horror fan as such (being such a wuss and all...) I doubt I'll get terribly far into Breakdown but my personal curiosity into wanting to see just how good the game is and what it brings forward to the videogames as a whole ought to push me on for a bit more. Hopefully.

Comment

You should try to press on despite your anxiety, Chief. It gets better as it goes on, as "Derrick" obtains his power and becomes a sort of The One character it's superb.

The hand to hand skuffing is a little fiddly at first, but if you turn the auto-locking off it becomes much easier in a free-for-all (there are plenty in the game).

Top game. God bless Namco.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief
                    Well all the speech is in English (with Japanese subtitles) so the language barrier isn't so much of an issue in the import decision-making process.
                    I've only got a normal flavour us xbox so I'll have to wait.

Great impressions though. I look fwd to it...

I'm also glad someone else admits to jumping out of their skin whilst playing fps's. I put a deep cut in my toe last week whilst playing Deus Ex but I digress...

Comment

I'm probably being really stupid and missed something obvious but I'm stuck early in the game

The bit after the fire, you come across a large room where the floor above has collapsed... I can climb up after pulling out the metal bar to make the rubble fall down but don't know what to do next.

Can anyone help?

Comment

If you go up that pillar which just dropped down and turn right, then forward, to the right of that wall is a little bit near the edge which you can crouch down and crawl under.

Comment

EA have snapped up the right for it in Europe, so we'll be seeing it in June.

Comment

not really "first play" but not worth it's own topic, courtesy of gamespot

"Electronic Arts announces that it will publish Namco's first-person action adventure title in Europe later this year.

Electronic Arts has today announced that it will publish Breakdown in Europe in June. The first-person action adventure game, which is currently in development at Namco, will see players assuming the role of a US soldier named Derrick Cole who, after being badly wounded in combat, is saved as a result of experimental cyborg surgery. "

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I really want to play this so here goes a long shot. I don't suppose anyone has tried it on or could try it on a us xbox to see if it'll play perchance? I'm assuming not but you never know.

Otherwise it's a wait till March...

Comment

Working...
                                X