Breakdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Len
    I really want to play this so here goes a long shot. I don't suppose anyone has tried it on or could try it on a us xbox to see if it'll play perchance? I'm assuming not but you never know.

Otherwise it's a wait till March...
    It won't play without a mod-chip or other method to defeat the regional lockout.

I finished it last night. Overall, I give it a thumbs up, although there are several flaws. It's definnitely not the best material NAMCO have ever produced, but there are lots of really brilliant bits that just about rescue it from the average camp. I'll play it again definitely, and it's well worth a purchase. Just don't expect to be utterly blown away by it.

Comment

I'm stuck,

Originally posted by spoiler
      I got to the bit with the floor thats on fire, and i get up to this bit with two badguys and I try to take them on but they beat the crap out of me every time :S
      help

Comment

I got stuck on that bit for a while. Best thing to do IMO is turn the Auto-Lock option off. That way you won't get stuck facing the same baldy all the time and you can ruck with whichever is nearest.

Comment

Having played this a bit more at weekend, it's rather disappointing that the games flaws become more evident as you progress.

The hand-to-hand skuffing - even though good in certain situations - is very inefficient in a tight spot, simply due to the fact that the long-travel trigger buttons and analogue stick are dreadful for trying to execute combo's. Why couldn't they have changed the fighting controls to d-pad and the norrmal buttons? Silly.

There is absolutely no freedom to explore and progression is as linear as it gets.

Locations are extremely boring, especially towards the end of the game (which is where I think I am) when you have to go through seemingly the same place time and time again. I've never played Halo, but I've heard about the library level and can only draw comparisions to it based on what I've heard, but it sounds like a similar sitch.

The platform elements are pretty frustrating, I managed to fall off ledges when I wasn't moving on some occasions.

But the game does have enough atmosphere and an intriguing enough story to press on with it.

Comment

I've played this for about two hours now, and other than just three fantastic moments, I'd say this is an average game through and through. The best bits are heavily scripted, while the main gameplay is quite dull and frustrating.

I did get stuck last night, so if someone could help...
            I've done the bit with the helecopter where you jump off the building - great stuff - and travelled through the lab, however I've come across a big glowing wall which I can't get passed. Up on the top floor there is a gun-like thing which requires some power-cell, which for the life of me I cannot find...any help?
            The best bit so far is where...
            you first come across the main bad guy, and the bit after that where you fight him, is excellent; easily the highlight so far. I hope there is more of this quality.

Comment

The battery is in a little wooden box on near the lift shaft. You have to punch it and the battery is then collectable

Comment

Bah, I'm sure I tried that

Comment

Think I'm just ahead of you, Mr Pete - though if you'd have seen me last night after playing it for about an hour and getting thoroughly pissed off, you'd have thought I hated the game. Which I did, until I got the power to beat people up with my glowing fist.

Very linear, nowhere near enough fights to get through and somewhat dull... but still quite compelling in a Half-Life sort of way.

Comment

After several more hours, I can safely say that this game is utterly wank.

How anyone can think this is one of the best Xbox games is just so far beyond me at the moment; this game is stupidly flawed throughout. The only positives are a fairly decent story that is well told, the first person fighting can be quite satisfying when you send an enemy flying across the room and a handful of really inspired first person cutscenes.

First person fighting works surprisingly well against one enemy, but against a room full it is simply awful - especially as your character flys backwards and all over the place like a pussy when getting smacked about. The combat is completely random too, as is the AI, which has to be the worst I've seen in years - enemies RIGHT INFRONT OF YOU not able attack for some reason, and for some reason enemies are unable to walk through doors so you can just punch them through the doorway.

Another flaw, while I'm at it, is the way the gun is controlled. On one section I was using the machine gun quite nicely, but suddenly needed to change to fists for some up-close action - except you need to cycle through the weapons before reaching the fists - the result is me blowing myself up with a rocket launcher against an unsuspecting soldier.

I'm getting carried away now, but this game is really bad - restart points are almost always located just before loading points. The game is unbelieveably linear, grey and dull and repetitive. It's just awful!

Lets just say I won't be giving this one such a high score, though it isn't in the same league as Dino Crisis 3. Thanks god

Comment

I don't know what you mean PeteJ

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                      Very much enjoying this, my favourite Xbox game. YEAH that's what I said.

Initial impressions, what can I say. Bloody good job it's not me that's reviewing it based on the first hour of play.

Another thing about the guns - just how ****e is Derrick at shooting? His aim's all over the frickin place! Very silly.

Look forward to the review.

Comment

Got to agree with Pete. I tried to play it through again, and it's laughably bad. Boring. Linear as hell. What he said... ****ing ****. NAMCO should know better. ft: It seemed ok at first, but it was just the story drawing me into it. The actual game underneath is ****e, and could of been so much more. Wish I hadn't gushed about it previously actually, it's rather embarassing.

Comment

I thought that overall, Breakdown added up to more than the sum of its parts. Despite the linearity and boring use of colour I really enjoyed it

Comment

I'm glad I've gotta wait till March now if I want to play it, means I have plenty more time to change my mind...

Comment

Wow, this thread's been a bit of a U-turn... everyone gushing over it only to say how crap it is.
                              I just read the review, and despite the score, I'll probably still get it if only just to see "how the Japanese do FPS"

Also, someone said EA's releasing it in June in Europe, but Amazon.co.uk say August...? :/

Comment

Has this turkey actually been unleashed on the unsuspecting PAL folk yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X