No announcement yet.

Onimusha 3: Demons Siege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always found the critical hit system to be slightly random anyway, and I only ever managed to do a string once (on Oni 2). It looked great - took about 5 grunts out at once - but I've no idea how I did it.

AFAIK part 3 is definitely the last one. Time to move on.

Comment

Theres one part in Onimusha 3 where Samanoske is sitting in the back of a car in France, being driven through a sunny, country road by the blonde girl, with the annoying kid beside her crying and the fairy in the back. Something about that sequence is just so surreal. And Samanoske, in full Samurai kit, looks ridiculous in the back of that car too.

Comment

I think the shot of Samanosuke looking completely out of his element in the back of the car with a blank expression on his face was supposed to be funny. Least I got a good laugh out of it. Even funnier, but unintentionally so, was how unconvincing Jean Reno managed to sound during some of his lines in French.

Anyooh, I finished the game today and pretty much got what I expected from it. A very polished, very spectacular and fun to play beat them all. I'm really pleased with the lenght of the game, as I finished it clocking at a little under 15 hours, which is more than reasonable for a simple action game, and there's still some stuff I haven't unlocked, so I'd say I'll get some replay value out of it (especially if you add in the ton of mini-games they give you after the first completion). What I liked best was that for a fairly straightforward action game, it sure has a lot of nooks and crannies, by which I mean that it manages to be very technical. I like that there's a lot of gameplay tricks to master. Overall, I'd say it's a good conclusion to the saga: even if the scenario is a bit hokey and silly, with some really really corny moments (two slo-mo shots of reunited people running toward each other is a bit much) I didn't mind because I dig silly videogame plots and it still managed to bring a sense of closure to the battle with Nobunaga. My only complaint would be that after the awesome opening CGI scene and the subsequent one at the beginning showing the invasion of Paris, CGI scenes all but disappear. They probably blew the budget on those first two alone, but still, a few more would have been nice, especially since some scenes in the story feel a bit downplayed because of that.

As far as another installment goes, there's a scene after the credits that takes its inspiration from actual history that seems to set up the possibility of a sequel. Plus, a recent Capcom report stressed Onimusha as one of four franchises that the company should put its efforts on (the other three being RE, Devil May Cry and Megaman) so we may very well see one. But it definitely won't feature Nobunaga, that much is clear.

Comment

I've just finished playing Onimusha 2 and thought it was a complete load of ****. The gift business was completely stupid and pointless, no atmosphere to speak of, the game was pretty easy on normal, the last boss was worse than the first game's, the English voices horrific, only one extra move (d,u+square canned combo) and the plot throughout was cliched to hell and back. I quite liked the original for what it was but seeing Jubei's band of retards take on 'the demons' was cringe worthy. Gogandantess going on about how he was TEH GREATEST DEMON SWORDSMAN EVAR was stupid (everything he did was lame, from his stupid boat and him sparing Jubei twice), Nobunaga being Dick Dastardedly to Tokichiro's Mutley, the cretinous spider man and that stupid fat bitch. The Demon Surgeon from Onimusha 1 owned all of those idiots for free.

I'm going to rent Onimusha 3 when it comes out over here but if Jean Reno wasn't in it, I probably wouldn't even bother considering it.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned Jean Reno ISN'T in it. There's a bloke who looks like him, but he doesn't sound like him when he speaks French, and even less like him when he develops a disgraceful and utterly pointless Yankeee accent.

Your opinion on Oni 2, apart from being wrong, does not make it sound as though you will get any enjoyment from part 3 at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
              As far as I'm concerned Jean Reno ISN'T in it. There's a bloke who looks like him, but he doesn't sound like him when he speaks French
              Well, it IS Jean Reno speaking when the character speaks French, you can trust me on this.

Comment

I completed Onimusha 3 a few days ago.

Nice end boss, a reasonable fight too.

One thing that grates, for the love of god, WHY did that have to include that annoying, irritating kid in it - Capcom must of been smoking crack to think that any punters will give a crap about a blubbering kid. Also the fairy just doesnt work for me either. The game isnt bad, but isnt great either. A good rental if nothing else.

One thing I found, by equipping the white vest, the game in effect becomes even easier than it is already, if you lose health just stand still and its replenished. Works wonders in the Dark Realms. In the original Onimusha, I enjoyed the realms greatly, they were also very challenging, this simple thing makes the Realm a diversion other than a serious challenge to obtain the best weapons in the game. Sure, you dont have to wear the white vest, but Id sooner put that down to bad game design.

Comment

Yeah I used the White vest almost the whole way through (and the orange that gives you extra money per kill), but unfortunately the game becomes a case of fight\wait\fight\wait\fight\wait. I almost wrote about that in my review, but I figured it was just me who tackled the game in the wrong way.

The big battle towards the end was quite cool, I thought. I hated the boss fight after the castle though, it just went on forever...

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                    As far as I'm concerned Jean Reno ISN'T in it. There's a bloke who looks like him, but he doesn't sound like him when he speaks French, and even less like him when he develops a disgraceful and utterly pointless Yankeee accent.

Your opinion on Oni 2, apart from being wrong, does not make it sound as though you will get any enjoyment from part 3 at all.
                    I really don't see how Onimusha 2 can be considered a good game, let alone AAA. It is clearly far worse than the original especially the fear factor (Oni1 had some awesome music and atmosphere in the demon realms). Having to watch Magoichi and Ekei have their retarded and pointless little spats sucked also and Samanosuke is a far better character than Jubei with his lame and predictable 'demons destroyed my village' plot. And wtf is up with that 'technology' like a metal horse?! And the utterly laughable love interest between Oyu and Jubei? Overall generic Japanese shovelware.

I'll still rent Oni3 as I want to find out what happens at the end of this storyline and walking around Paris should be cool but I honestly think that Oni2 was a 3/10 game at best.

Comment

Genma Onimusha is easily my favourite in the series, mainly due to its character, set-pieces and locations, it was only let down by being far too short. Theres little for me to differentiate between Oni 2 and 3 though, they are too similar in many ways, except that 3 features the useless charecters I mentioned above. Dont expect to see too much of Paris by the way, it doesnt feature much more than the screenshots of areas that you will of already seen.

Your opinion on Oni 2, apart from being wrong, does not make it sound as though you will get any enjoyment from part 3 at all
                      Agreed, if you slate 2, then you will be equally as upset with 3.

I almost wrote about that in my review, but I figured it was just me who tackled the game in the wrong way.
                      Id of mentioned it myself, if its there then theres no reason why you should feel that you shouldnt use it, Capcom should of made allowances for this item which removes the limited challenge there is in the game. I dont think there is a right and a wrong way to play the game, its Capcoms job to ensure the game is played as its meant to be, not yours.
                      Last edited by marcus; 01-06-2004, 17:13.

Comment

Onimusha is still the strongest in the series IMO from what I can make out as the plot was simple and not bogged down with stupid metal horses. The atmosphere was tops, it was fresh so you could forgive the simple combat to an extent, the range weapons were not useless like in Oni2 and the demon surgeon was too cool. Hearing this bs about a boy and a fairy etc sounds like Oni2 in which there were too many characters with their own little sub-plots which were pointless as they were so limited due to the length of the game. It really kills the atmosphere when the plot veers off to another direction to explain the stupid past of whichever idiot has just joined your group.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
                          Id of mentioned it myself, if its there then theres no reason why you should feel that you shouldnt use it, Capcom should of made allowances for this item which removes the limited challenge there is in the game. I dont think there is a right and a wrong way to play the game, its Capcoms job to ensure the game is played as its meant to be, not yours.
                          Yeah you should. It's a 1 player game so why shouldn't you use it. Oni1 was fairly hard initially and I guess people bitched about that. It would probably be a far more balanced item in hard mode.

Comment

Originally posted by innovator
                            I really don't see how Onimusha 2 can be considered a good game, let alone AAA. It is clearly far worse than the original especially the fear factor (Oni1 had some awesome music and atmosphere in the demon realms). Having to watch Magoichi and Ekei have their retarded and pointless little spats sucked also and Samanosuke is a far better character than Jubei with his lame and predictable 'demons destroyed my village' plot. And wtf is up with that 'technology' like a metal horse?! And the utterly laughable love interest between Oyu and Jubei? Overall generic Japanese shovelware.

I'll still rent Oni3 as I want to find out what happens at the end of this storyline and walking around Paris should be cool but I honestly think that Oni2 was a 3/10 game at best.
                            I felt the same way about Oni 1 and 2. On paper 2 seems like a step forward, with more controlable characters, more weapons and moves and a stronger RPG element. Oni 1 though had much better atmosphere and music and a more interesting storyline. There's was a bit of that chilling resident evil feel to it that lent alot to the locales and made the enemies appear more fearsome. Of course it was far too short and simple which although Oni 2 tried to fix it lost something as well.

In Oni 2 after getting past the town section it started to become gradually more tiresome for me. It just wasn't as appealing as the 1st game. The atmosphere and urge to see the next area and uncover more of the storyline wasn't there.
                            Last edited by Shoju; 03-06-2004, 17:06.

Comment

Working...
                            X