No announcement yet.

Psyvariar 2: The Will To Fabricate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds to me like its "only" as deep as the first one was really with a few refinements, its concerns me that you can say its the best shooter ever (and forgive me if i've got this wrong) because you control a mecha etc. Anyway we all know that esprade is the best shooter ever (if we are marking games on their style) )

Also i'm assuming you've got Zero Gunner2? Thats got some sweet transforming mecha designs in it!

Comment

Not at all, the mecha are an added bonus and not an affirmation of the gameplay. I also liked Zero Gunner 2 a lot and Esprade, but Psyvariar 2 is simply better than anything else I have played in a very very long time. It is innovative, but in a particualrly subtle manner (the roll function is more focused around concise manual control and the two mecha variations do add wads of intricacy to the tactical negotiation of the immeasurably intricate shot patterns). It's a pure shooter if that makes any sense. I, for one, am an advocate of concise and lean gameplay rather than debauched unrefined excess, so I am consequently adoring Psyvariar 2.

Comment

Anyway we all know that esprade is the best shooter ever (if we are marking games on their style)
        you have good taste , i would class esprade in my top 10 shmups, i just love the scoring system.

im guessing they left out the roll button as it might screw up the balance, giving the Five ascetics an advantage.

Comment

well i've recently bought an esprade board and i've got a naomi universal cab (jamma compatable) on the way so i'm proper skint and i'm desperately trying to not buy psyvariar2 for the next couple of months....i'd prefer it if i you told me it was a heap of ****e.

But i may hold out and wait and see how much a naomi version costs (if it is indeed naomi)....

Comment

it is naomi and ive seen 1 for about ?700. not worth it imo.

a few boards to get if your into shmups are :

Batrider JP ver2
            Guwange
            Fever S.O.S/Dangun Feveron
            Raiden Fighters Jet

all are normal 15hz, im presuming if your new cab is jamma you have changed it to a multi 15/30hz screen. (it wasnt that 1 on ukvac for ?1200 was it)

Comment

Comment

700 is a bargain, especially for a new arcade title (it is on NAOMI GD-ROM btw).

Comment

If you mean ?700 with naomi2 mb and GD rom unit then thats not bad. If its ?700 for the disc then its probably worth waiting. I just picked up Ikaruga for ?50.

Comment

its for disk + artwork.

if it was for the mobo aswell i would be tempted.

Comment

Jings! thats crazy money! its amazing the depreciation on arcade hardware.

Comment

depreciation is bad on arcade games in the first 12/18 months.

After that it levels out and doesnt change, and alot of the time after a few years as games get harder to find, the price slightly increases.*

*sos for going off topic

Comment

Cacophanus, I understood that the original arcade was always manual spining. One of the reasons people raved about Revision was the emphasis on buzz and ease of spinning.

In Psy2, as long as you hold the stick in any direction, you keep spinning. Holding back is all very well if you are at the base of the screen, but if you are stuck part way up the screen (e.g. in a boss battle) with bullet streams crossing over all around you, caging you in, there's almost nothing you can do if you are playing with the buzz mech. You have to sit still, thus losing the spin AND the faster fire rate. So the next level up is too far away, turning it back into just another bullet fest dodger (at that point in time). I guess with a bit of practice, you could flick the stick left and right (or forwards and back) repeatedly so fast that you almost sit still, but my attempts so far have ended in tears / bullet death. It's only these moments that have frustrated me so far, so I'm not saying the lack of spin button is a fundamental flaw. Just that it seemed such a good idea from the first one (where you slowed down when using it), in which you had the option of using either manual or button method. Presumably, there will be a Psy2 Revision at some point

Comment

Enough ramblings from me. I'm off to play some more.

Comment

for the person who was asking eariler -
                              it works fine on my treamcast VGA box.

Comment

You can buy the full set used for around ?700 ..

Which includes the Naomi motherboard, Dimm board, GD drive and all relevent cables.

No Naomi2 motherboard is needed..

Arcade hardware prices depreciate really dramatically... last year I was comtemplating getting VF4 EVO on the Naomi 2 and I set myself a budget of ?800 for the GD-rom.Sadly the game was still reeling in the money at the arcades and finding one for sale was impossible.Even the US version which is cartridge based was hard to track down .(no region lock so it would have worked on a JPN bios).

Now with the lastest version hitting the arcades in the next few months EVO will dropped down dramatically.In fact the full B set can be had for 98,000 yen no from the likes of Tessin.

Last year I picked up Ikaruga for around 10,000 yen from Japan

(Just rotated the monitor hence the green haze >< )

These days it can be had for as little as 3000 yen.Once you get the initial Naomi setup the games can be obtained fairly cheaply ..eventually .

Love to see some pictures of your Naomi cabinet when it arrives..

Comment

Working...
                                X