Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LifeLine

Hello there,

I?m new around here and would like to give some impression on LifeLine for the PS2. (US version only)

As some of you probably already know this is a so called "Voice Acticated Adventure", which means you basically do most of the work with your own voice instead of the controller.
    You will only need the controller to open doors and manage your inputs (just like with a walkie-talkie).

I have yet to complete the game, but so far I can say that I really enjoy this one.
    Before I continue I need to mention that I?m from Germany. So, my English is far from perfect and my voice isn?t very clear either.
    There have been a lot of complains about the bad voice recognition, however, for me it seems to work fine. I guess if you have a strong accent you?ll definitely have some problems with this game. In this case you should check out the PC Demo first to see if it works fine with your voice.

The game consists of some (straightforward) puzzling and "guessing words", mixed up by some scripted battles. There are also some (interactive) cut-scenes and mini-games spread throughout the game.
    The story takes place in a stationary "Space-Hotel" in the year 2029.
    Right when you start the game there is an incident aboard the space station and the real adventure begins...
    You are some guy being trapped in the controll room and searching for your girlfriend "Naomi". Soon you team up with Rio to manage to get out of the Space-Hotel and rescue your friends. (Rio is running around the hotel and you guide her via microphone)

Graphically-wise this game is quite good. The graphics are really very solid. No extra-sharp texture, no spectacular lighting but a very good atmosphere overall.
    The animations are also nicely done. There is a good variety of them as well and they all look quite natural (only the run animation looks a bit stiff and slow).
    The main character "Rio" (a women) does please as well. It?s a nice adventure commanding her through the various rooms and experience her express fear, anger, joy, curiosity etc.
    The other character in the game do not seem to be very important though. (and are not even as interesting as Rio)

The gameplay can be compared to survival-horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill. However, it evolves more around trying to describe an object to Rio instead of running around and searching for them. (actually trying to articulate while playing is a whole new experience - standard swearing doesn?t help here)
    On the other hand the battles can be quite strategic (although hectic when facing multiple enemies). You will need to find and attack the weak spots of each creature while dodging their attacks and telling Rio to reload or to heal. Key to victory is staying calm and giving Rio the right commands at the right time (of course).
    Minigames help to break up the gameplay and are really enjoyable for both you and Rio (e.g. you can heal her by playing "tongue-twister"). It?s actually a lot of fun playing these games which you will probably never (/rarely) play with a person in real-life.
    In addition, more minigames can be unlocked which you can play outside of the actual game. (think of it as sort of "party-games")

The voice of Rio is also really well done. The rest of the voice-over is standard quality I would say.
    Sound effects and music is also standard quality - nothing special, nor is it particular bad.

An USB-Headset is a definite requirement for this game, as well as a bottle of clear water (or whatever drink you prefer) and some patience.

If you have any more questions I would be pleased to answer them.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Thanks for the impressions, and welcome to the site

Life-line has always been an interesting game and one I may end up buying in the future.

How do the scripted battles work incidently? Do you just shout "hit, hit! Left Hook!" or just hammer the buttons?

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ

How do the scripted battles work incidently? Do you just shout "hit, hit! Left Hook!" or just hammer the buttons?
      It's your first guess, you are in COMPLETE vocal control of the character who has freedom within the space station.

Each creature has specific weak points and once you determine the point new, even weaker points open up in your battle menu.
      For example, the parasitic worm is vunerable in the stomach, by shooting the stomach a 'mouth' point appears.
      Or take a larger creature, first of all you can shoot its left eye, then a right eye 'target' appears follwed by 'red eye' which finally kills the monster.
      If you take a moment to examine each creature clues are obvious, in fact, that's probably good advice for the game.

TwoBells

Comment

Just like 'twobells' already said you need to find the weak points of each creature.
        You can combine up to three commands in one "phrase", e.g. "stomach, dodge, head" etc.
        To switch from enemy to enemy you?ll need to call out the number, e.g. number2 (behind you/ to the left...).
        There are also some bonus attacks like "low kick" (which isn?t that helpful), "auto-fire" and maybe more.

You can also switch to a sort of fps-viewpoint of Rio to give better commands. ("shoot tongue" for example only works if you hit the enemy while its mouth is open)

By scripted battles I only meant that there certain points at which you?ll inevitably run into enemies. The battle itself is not scripted and much more demanding than in games like Resident Evil. (you only have one weapon at your disposal though)
        Also, you can only steer the battle via your voice. She really puts all her trust into your voice

Sometimes the battles can get a little frustrating though. (probably to the same amount as in other survival games due to bad camera or clunky controls)

Comment

Well, I have now finished the game. Here are my final thoughts on the game:

In terms of NTSC-uk.com ratings I would give this game a 9 out of 10.
          For me this is a real classic because it really immerses you into the gameworld and makes you want to play on after the credits roll down the screen.
          The ending is very dramatic (maybe even a bit too dramativ for my taste) and can compete with the likes of FFX and other "epic" adventures. (it originates from Japan after all - expect some "kitschy" scenes)
          Although there were several occasions where I got extremely frustrated by the voice-recognition, I will probably play through this one again after a few weeks or months. (I guess it will then turn out more enjoyble since you already know most of the right commands)

It took me around 18h and 30min to beat the game. This includes some toying around with the voice-recognition and "secret-hunting", so I would say pure game-time is around 15h.

I hope they will give this one a sequel.

Comment

I bought this the other day and I'm really enjoying it, it plays more like an old point and click than a survival horror. I'm liking it.

Comment

The space setting and voice recognition feature makes for a very atmospheric game in my view.
              I?m now on my second play through.

What are your voice recognition stats?

Here are mine:
              # of commands: 7845
              Voice Recognition Average: 6345
              Voice Recognition Best: 9973

"The Save Point? Ok."

Comment

I'm finally planning on buying this (7years later), and I want to know: which is the best headset to use?

I've heard the best is the USB headset that came bundled with Socom 3. Is this true? Or will any generic headset do it? Some of those USB headsets are expensive! Especially since everyone is now obsessed with the Bluetooth kind, but these give me a terrible headache when I use them. Plus I don't think the game will recognise them.

So, which USB headset is best? And am I better off getting the Socom headset?

Comment

Same question here. I picked up a cheap copy of this last week and want to have a go on it. It sounds very clever and I am surprised nothing similar has been seen since.

Comment

I played it with an original PS2 USB SOCOM headset. Are you playing it on PS3? I presume it will have to be a USB one for the game to recognise it properly.

Tis a really cool game, the voice recognition was a bit hit and miss and could make certain sections really frustrating.

Comment

Nope, got two PS2 systems on top of my PS3. Plus 2 CRTs. PS2 on HD LCD is ugly.

Comment

an PS2 usb headset will work then

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                          any PS2 usb headset will work then
                          Any PS2 USB headset, but will any USB headset at all? Or only specific PS2-compatible USB headsets?

I ask since I once bought a generic USB headset for my PS3, and it didn't work properly!

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                            Same question here. I picked up a cheap copy of this last week and want to have a go on it. It sounds very clever and I am surprised nothing similar has been seen since.
                            Konami or Sony jpn did show some spy trailer for ps3 pre-launch and lifeline was mentioned as an influence, nothing ever came of it. Lifeline is an awesome wee game, story certainly gets odd but I really enjoyed it. Felt satisfying getting commands right and spotting stuff.

Comment

Bought the game from the US for £14, plus ordered a Logitech PS2 USB headset for £6. Should all arrive in a week or so.

I'm now all set to try this. (and order that blonde woman to bark like a dog, apparently)

I should have checked this before... The game works on a PS2 Slim with the DVD swap method for imports, right? Because my Messiah chipped system is on its last legs.
                              Last edited by Sketcz; 22-02-2011, 07:13.

Comment

Working...
                              X