No announcement yet.

Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking forward to this until I read the voicework is said to be inferior to the original. Is it true they've scrapped the accents for Mei Ling, Natasha Romenko and Naomi?

I've also been hearing reports the moody orchestric vibe of the original has been completely scrapped for sub-par new techno skank.

Any of this true?

Sound was a key element as to why Metal Gear Solid was so immersive in my opinion.

Comment

Mei Ling has lost her oriental accent.
      Naomi has a quasi-English/ American accent, as it just fluctuates between the two.
      Same with Nastasha. Where she has a Russian/ American accent.

I know the muisc has changed. Can't for the life of me remember the original musical score. Must dig out MGS one day.

Comment

The original's overall musical score was (and still is) supremely fantastic. It's minimalist, in that like the X-Files, there are these branching chords and melodies which are revisited time and time again through the same dark style.

The soundtrack in MGS really gave the game it's cold war on-the-edge atmospheric feel in my opinion. I can still remember how some of the music pans out right at the end...

I just hope some of those pieces were remixed, a la Resident Evil, and not just scrapped for the sake of change.

Still... It's good to read Naomi and Romenko aren't completely screwed over in the characterisation stakes.

What I want to know from those who've played the original is this... Does Twin Snakes retain the spirit and feel of MGS? This is going to sound a little off-key, but in comparison to Sons of Liberty, MGS always felt a more colder, darker and consequently deeper game. From an atmospheric standpoint.

Comment

*this is what i posted at rllmuk.*

Right quickly played my copy just now before i go back to work. First things first, mei ling does have a hint of accent, but i like it better before. Naomi just sounds like she cannot be bothered at all, although thats only for a few of her lines.

It seems much easier to be spotted by enemies, noise makes a much bigger impact now. One thing about the guards is the choke sound, its terrible, i liked the one before, but this one doesnt sound anything like a choke sound

Still cool bits are when foot prints are noticed in the snow you get a little box appear showing you the guards view seconds before he raises the alarm. they all use radios now like MGS2 so you cant kill everyone and hope to be unfound for ever.

And ive just gone into the duct, but back to work for 5 more hours for me Update when i get back.

Oh and the first cut scene is brilliant, explains how snake got to the base loads better and explains a few problems there was with the original one.

Okay played a bit more and its tough, thats for sure. MGS was pretty easy to get past the tank section and to see meryl. Now i took the upstairs route (where the socom is hidden) but firstly guards can now hear you walking along the metal walk way, secondly shooting out cameras is a good idea, except when people hear you.

Guards in MGS would come at you one at a time from a distance, but now they randomly appear off screen and take you out in 3's. You HAVE to hide, you cant fight your way out. Now i hated this aspect of the game in MGS2, but it seems to be slightly more forgiving in MGS:TTS. But still just getting down to the lift to see the darpa cheif took me a couple of go's, its certainly a lot harder to get by unseen.

Also theres a few new cutscenes explaining everything a little better and they are all brilliantly done. When meryl goes into the lift now she doesnt do her little hand thing as the door closes which i miss however.

So far its MGS but it seems different, probably because of the higher difficulty and changes.

Will keep updating shortly.

When i said tak bit i meant the tanks in the hanger rather than the boss, my fault that. Also in the shoot out with meryl guards drop fewer items making it harder. Ive just got up to otacon, and so far its been brilliant. The cut scenes are EXTREAMLY gory. MGS had a splash of red, but MGS:TTS has blood flying all over the walls, floor, and when the ninja doe*s his little death jaunt down the corridor, some of the deaths are extramly sick. And i like it.

It is really good, sort of Like MGS uncut with extra bits added rather than a totally different game. Theres lots of subtle differences like steam pipes, metal floors that make noise and so on.

I dont know if i prefer how snake looks now or before hand. Before you kind of create an image from the codec scenes and pictures, but now you see his face. Its great to finally see a wide range of expressions and lip syncing though. All brilliantly done. Gona leave it for now and play more tomo.

Comment

Originally posted by mattSix
            uh.... press Y (action button) to operate the lift. if you're running & you press X you'll do a forward roll...
            If you press in the direction of the wall Snake flattens himself against the wall and Y no longer calls the lift. You then have to readjust (walks forward, turn round, press button) in order to operate the lift. Its not really a problem if there's nothing going on at the time, but if you're under pressure its annoying feature that makes me die needlessly.

And enough of the patronising 'uh...'s thank you.

Comment

I don't think the atmosphere is quite the same, I've played up to the warhead storage building. The new Ninja scenes do add a lot of style and gore, but they take away a lot of the spooky feeling of not being able to see him until you enter the room. The Ninja battle was really easy here too, as were the previous boss battles, in contrast to the rest of the game which has been made harder.

Mei Ling has got zero chinese accent that I can detect, in the same way Naomi is about as English as George Bush. Nastassa still has her accent, but Vulcan Raven doesn't! Raven looks pretty goofy here I think - not helped by his gay body-builder posturing.

Comment

Originally posted by NiceButDim
                enough of the patronising 'uh...'s thank you.
                i've had the same problem with getting turned around like that, but your post read to me like you were pressing X instead of Y ["he throws himself against the wall"]. no offence intended...

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
                Anyone know how to shoot & run at the same time with the FAMAS?
                hold down either B or X.

Comment

My god I?m tired?

Instead of doing the wise thing and sleep I went for an exhausting run, and then decided to beat Twin Snakes again in one sit before I spend a great deal of time on the harder difficulty settings. It?s incredible how much ?pull? this has imo: 8hours straight, not a moment of boredom. Fantastic. It?s probably me just being a little obsessive, but meh?

Back to bed...
                  ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Got it yesterday, taking my time with this. Loving every secound of it.

Comment

I spent last night playing back through Hard and got as far as the Underground Hangar. So not much to go then. Maybe I'll just have to try Very Hard next time... it is true it's game over if you get spotted on that difficulty?

Spoiler question btw here related to plot...

Originally posted by spoiler
                      Foxdie... I think I understand the principle behind it (though I'm loathe to figure out precisely HOW it spreads to other people just through being near them), but what actually triggers it to go off in someone who has been included in the virus' programming? It killed Decoy Octopus and Baker, and Liquid eventually... but Ocelot and Solid weren't in the programming? I've hardly played MGS2 so I know little of the plot there, but any info about why and when Foxdie triggers would be appreciated!
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

MGS2 doesn't really tackle it. I saw a documentary on genetic weapons a few years ago (after MGS) and it is a genuine threat... research has already been done on it. Actually, Cyborg Ninja's aside, there's not much in MGS that isn't accurate to the real world.

Comment

Been playing it for abit, upto the basement 2 before the ocelot battle and first impressions are it`s a dam sight harder than the first. Took me about 20mins just to do the first section before you get the lift up. Even the cornell commented i took a while and if i was abit rusty Love the intergration of the mgs2 array of moves into the game and after you got used to the controls it feels great to play. Have to say i only ever played the ps1 version once many years ago so the voices and music i really can`t remember so the change in voices or music really doesn`t bother me. I do remember some of the cutscenes from the original but they haven`t really altered them to much upto yet and some of the added slo mo shots do work quite well imo. Forgot how superior this games story is to mgs2 and with the addition of all of mgs2 moves and graphics which are equally as impressive as 2 if not some places better, this really is my favourite mgs upto yet. Be interesting how mgs3 turns out.

Comment

To be honest i only bought the game to see the cut scenes. They were directed by movie god Ryuhei Kitamura. Kitamura directed stuff like the awsome Versus,ALive and Azumi and will be directing Godzillas 50th Anniversary film. The last ever Godzilla movie!!

Comment

This has brought back memories of when I played the PS1 version.

Just defeated
                              Originally posted by spoiler
                              Mantis
                              I am really enjoying this so far (3 hrs on the game clock)

Comment

I am so looking forward to this game after ordering it from videogamesplus last night.I was going to hold out for the PAL release,as I have too many games on the go at the moment,but after seeing their criminallt low price,I just had to order it.With any luck it will be with me on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I recently played the PS1 version and loved every moment of it.

To be able to play it on my favourite console with updated graphics just seems perfect,especially after reading all of the postings on this threads.

Comment

Working...
                                X