No announcement yet.

Steel Battalion (Not LOC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm now on my 4th pilot after running out of VTs and supply points in all previous attempts at mission 3 ><

I did start trying to cross the shallow river, but I would always get overwhelmed on the other side. Had more success going back via the bridge, but it seems to be a matter of luck whether it collapses or not. I had the whole map clear with the exception of a few enemy VTs in the city, but as I approached them I took one hit and had to eject again.

And this is all on rookie setting!

I can see me losing patience with it if this is only the 3rd mission and I've had to start from the beginning four times already. I don't want to be doing 11 missions each time just to get back to where I was when I fail on mission 12!

Comment

That's where most people falter, really. See, not every mission is about destroying everything in your path. The objective is to reach a certain point, the hint is to just go for it so do that. Only shoot the VTs in your path if absolutely necessary. Otherwise, just run straight to the objective. The bridge will collapse if you hesitate as you're being targeted by Vortex, shooting Howitzer rounds. Crossing the river is generally not advised as your progress is slowed by the water and slower movement = greater hit damage from Howitzer fire.

Just run

Comment

That'll be it then, I guess I really should pay attention to the mission objectives!

Can anyone tell me the way to stop yourself toppling over? I'm sure I read something that involved the sidestep pedal, but couldn't figure it out and can't be bothered reading the entire manual to find it!

Comment

There's a warning light on the HUD when you begin to fall (also: audio clue, the engine revs up slightly as the VT loses footing). Sidestep into the fall and as long as you've not fell over too far, the VT should right itself. If you're still falling, sidestep again. You can sidestep as long as there is battery power so do little steps if you're really pushing it.

Comment

I stop my self from toppling by pressing the Sidestep (leftmost) pedal when the warning flashes up, pressing a direction as well dosent seem to matter, but you have to do it right quick or it wont save you.

And yeah i discovered you have to concentrate on the objectives, though i was frustrated at the design of level 6 also.

I got to the base and tried to wipe out all the VTs, i got the first wave, but then more appeared! Being low on ammo and health = teh eject. So i went in on Free Mission with a Juggernaut and wipe out wave after wave, coming to the conclusion they must respawn - WTF? respawning is evil at the best of times, but in a sim mech? Thats just wrong.

But once i listened to my comms and followed their advice it was easier. However do they have weapons that stun you of something? just i cranked it up to full speed, but something knocked me to real slow, and it wasnt from hitting anything. I hope theres not more respawning missions...(?) its great apart from that.

Comment

The keep dropping down from above, IIRC. Cheap respawn, yeah. Jarralacs class VTs, 'C', I think. They use mines and cutter boom. I think there's a couple of flame throwers in there (erm, that'd be J-N then!) that cause the game to slow down if there's too much happening on screen but generally, other than crashing into stuff, no. There's nothing to slow you down.

The only other respawn I can think of is on mission 23, the final assault on the HSD fortress. There are lift entrances into the base which are guarded by a couple of 3rd gen VTs -- Regal Dress -- that, once destroyed, another reappears from the lift. It's easily dealt with though.

Ah, no... Just thought of another couple There are a couple of missions where VT reinforcements enter from outside the bounds of an area if you're slack. Just to keep the pressure on like.

That projector is way to big, imho. It does need a big screen but one that produces a realistic size to the dials and viewfinder, otherwise it's unrealistically big and there's too much to take in Maybe not so bad for some stuff though!

Comment

F*&kin hell I'm in exactly the same situation I was in with mission 3 now that I'm on mission 4.. down to my last 3000 supply points with one more attempt remaining before I have to start from scratch.

You have to take out some sodding big battleship? I've taken in the hint about going the round about way to avoid VTs.. but even so I can only stay within range of the battleship for about 30 seconds before it destroys me (and this is with constant side stepping). It's really testing my patience.

Comment

n00b way is to hide behind the warehouse and use a longer range weapon to destroy the big deck gun. Once the deck guns are gone, you're mostly free to walk around at your leisure (while still dodging the minor rounds of fire), take out the rest of the ship.

Pay attention to the 'Hit' or 'Miss' marker. You know which one you should be getting

Comment

Yeah I watch that all the time - it's not my shots missing that's the problem, it's the enemy shots hitting me!

Comment

Also, play it on easy if you're really stuck and build up some supply points.

Comment

I *am* playing it on easy! lol!

Comment

Do you want a video walkthrough?

Comment

Nah, I'll give it a few days and start over from scratch again, when I've calmed down a bit. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

I'd destroy the VTs if you're feeling competent enough. It's only the Scarface that'll give you any hassle really, maybe the missle boats too. Just plasma torch them (assuming you're still using a Decider). You'll get a bigger bonus once you do do it, more supply points

Comment

Hang on - plasma torch the boats? Impossible task, n'est pas? I managed to take a few out with the howitzer but they were lucky shots really.

Comment

Working...
                                X