Mario Golf GBA Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My copy is on it's way currently...
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Do you get the wireless adaptor with the US copy ?

Comment

Mine didn't come with the adaptor (ordered Mario Golf from Tronix for ?16).
        I was expecting one but it didn't happen. Oh well.

Comment

I've had a good play of this and it's class.
          Not so sure about the RPG mode at the minute, very text heavy to start off with, but the quick game mode is where my time has been spent.

Essentially it's the same as the Cube version but with less characters initially. You can choose to play the usual stuff, but like the Gamecube version there are speed golf, near pin and a new one called Go Go Gates. It's the same as the Cube one where you have to shoot inbetween gates rather than through rings, but the same tactics apply.
          The automatic saving of your best birdies, hole in 1's etc has been retained and your favourite ones can be locked to avoid the computer saving over them.

It's really rather swish too. Think Golden Sun with clubs, and you're close. All the shots I'd seen on the net were a little grainy and pixelated, they don't look like this at all in game. The use of double tapping A or B, or a combination of both, to add front or back spin has been kept. As previously mentioned if you like the cube one then more than likely you'll enjoy the gBA one too.

I'm going to put more effort into the RPG mode, I really got hooked by the old Colour version, hopefully this one will do the same.

Comment

I've been hammering this like anything since the weekend, and there is SO much stuff to do. Especially as I've now gone and connected it to the GC version and a whole new bunch of **** has opened up! Not only does connecting allow a lot of new star holes and characters to appear in the GBA version, but you get the ability to choose all of the special club sets in the GC version. And play as your character as well. Nothing like ripping down Blooper Open with a 320 year opening drive

Comment

My Japanese one arrived this morning, from what i've managed to play it does look good. Cant understand the RPG element, but the actual golf game is indeed fun and very playable on the small screen. I've just got Toadstool Tour for the CG so it'll be interesting to see if the link up works. Wireless adaptor is nice although cant test it as i dont know anyone else with one yet.

Does anyone know of any translation site?

(yes i know i should have got the US one but PA shipped it really fast)

Comment

I received the US version through this morning from VG+ so will post my impressions up about it shortly.

Comment

I got this great little game today and have been very impressed. i should be able to confirm tomorrow if the US GBA version links ok with the PAL Cube version.

I have to agree with the review, so far im finding the game very easy, however that could be due to the huge playtime on the GBC and Gamecube versions.

I have not been paying great attention to the RPG side at the moment but the story is basicly you join a golf club and you have to work your way through tournaments to get EXP points. If anybody here has played Mario Tennis on the GBC you will be right at home with the level up system used.

As well at the story mode you have a quick play mode that was called character mode in the Gamecube version. I will post some impressions on that later as i have not tried it out yet.

It seams like theirs a lot to unlock and instead of unlocking the whole course it seams like you have to unlock every hole on that course to make it playable.

The sound is great, nice voice samples and clear and catchy tunes.

However i know the GBA can do more graphics wise. To me the look a bit shoddy and unfinished and could have done with a bit more work. However the cart seams to have so much cram packed onto it that something had to suffer and the graphics do not make the game unplayable.

i have only had the game a few hours and i have not been able to put it down so far, i know that its going to give me hours of gaming fun and its well worth a buy for a fan of the Mario Sports games.

Comment

Been playing my copy lots recently and I'm very impressed with it.
                    Some of the later courses have some very nice touches.
                    In particular I liked the Mushroom Course that has blocks that can be hit that effect the rest of the course. For example if you hit a bo-omb the fuse is lit and the bomb explodes to make some more land on a pin that was previously very tight and hard to hit.

The other thing that has provided great scope and aiming higer than birdies is all the different clubs you can have made. My most used one is the super pow. It massively increases the drive any makes hitting over birdies possible. The super straight is also hugely useful in some modes, the Go-Go Gates mode in particular.

As for the question of difficulty, are you guys saving after every hole and replaying where necessary? If so in some of the modes the game recognises you've done this and only awards a silver rather than gold even if you say finish -10 for the course. Also have you unlocked the Elf's Short Course yet? You have to hit the pin in one and then the putt with one shot. It gets very difficult about half way through, especially as one bad shot can ruin lots of hard work with no opportunity to recover from the mistake. Adds a good bit of challenge I've found.

The link up with the cube works nice too. It transfers all the cube stats to the GBA so you can easily see what holes you need to birdie or better to get the badge whilst playing on the cube, also any modes played in the cube version earn your character exp points.

Out of interest what levels are you guys on?
                    My main character is level 36 with a drive of 280 yards with the Super Pow.
                    My partner is level 35 with a slightly shorter drive.
                    Both are excellent all rounders though.

Comment

Have you manged to complete the challenge where you need to chip an approach shot inside the small circle on the green? (Dunno what it's called, I have the JP version). I've tried and failed umpteen times on that.

Comment

Which one Kubrick?
                        Each course has at least 2 of these challenges (as well as a putting and drive accuracy one).
                        From the records screen (choose star on the main menu), choose story (pix of boy and girl), then side games (icon with two clubs crossed and a star).
                        This will then give a list of names with a star next to it if you've done the challenge. I've done all for the 1st course, Marion Course and a fair few on the other courses. The main tip is to always push up when hitting the ball and add normal backspin, generally aiming 1 length short of the target. This generally puts the ball exactly where you want. The wind sometimes complicates this so you need to aim longer/shorter or to a side.

The main thing about these challenges is the power up drink you get by finding the secret character to hit. For example on the the 1st course you go from the practice field up and over the bridge. Go right after the bridge and you'll see a heavy grass area that has a sign to "Keep Clear because of Klepto". Walk up that path then tee off from the water edge and hit the bird. Every practice area of each course has one of these zones and completing it earns you a token for a new club

Comment

Just checked that screen and I have the stars missing (from the top) in Nos. 5,8,10 & 12 on the first course

Haven't played this for a while actually, think I'll play it later.

Comment

No.5 is a putting lesson. From the practice centre it's to the right. Talk to the teacher and because you've already done the challenges he'll ask if you want to try again. Say no (right answer) and he'll re-teach you the basics and this is the one you're missing, the basic putting lesson. Say yes (left answer) and you'll get your chance.

No.8 is the short shot contest. From the practice centre it's to the left. Choose the shortest (nearest to you) circle for this one. No.10 is the hardest. Choose the furthest away.

No.12 is the putting contest. Win the putting contest

Comment

I've been playing this constantly since I bought it. So far my best rounds are -14 on Marion Course and -16 on Palms Course with my character at lvl 30 with a 248yrd POW drive and my partner at lvl 27. It is a lot of fun and I am currently working my way through each course trying to beat the memorial score on each before I even contemplate the Mushroom Course. I still have nighmares about its companion course on the N64\GBC versions.

It looks like I will have to rent the GC version to unlock some more features in the game but none of them appear to be that essential to the experience.

Comment

Which is true... you get far more in the GC version from connecting.

Comment

Working...
                                X