No announcement yet.

Characters you love to control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm quite astonished to see that while some extremely pleasant to control characters have been mentioned there, no one has yet talked about Alucard, of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night fame. I'm just in love with the way he moves, and the attention that's been given to each detail. His stunningly smooth animation, the way he doesn't just start walking right away but rather glides on a short distance, the shadowy trail he leaves behind him... Aargh. On top of that, he responds to the commands instantly, and his abilities are both pleasing and easy to use. SotN really feels like you're controlling a half-vampire. A pleasure, I tell you, especially when compared to the arthritis almost all of the Belmont family seems to be suffering from. This, added to the fact that SotN is probably the finest 2D platformer/Metroid-like ever produced and to its incredible soundtrack, often make me load up the game just for the fun of controlling Alucard, as I wander aimlessly in Dracula's castle.

Dante has already been mentioned, and I agree with everything that's been said. When you play as him, you just have to show off. You can't resist the urge to. An added benefit to this is that when I demo the game to friends and offer them the controller (usually just after the cinematic where Dante obtains Alastor -- this one will remain burned into my memory till the end of time), most of them answer something in the lines of "no, that's okay, keep playing, I just want to watch". And being told to play more DMC can't be a bad thing. ^^

I'd also like to add Max Payne, though the whole game adds up to way much more than the sum of its parts. The control scheme is rather basic, but surprisingly well executed. Max does what you want when you want him to. But what really makes him shine is the use of bullet-time and the physics engine in the second episode. I mean, come on, it's a game that switches into slow motion all by itself when you jump sideways as you open fire with your twin pistols. There's a feeling of power that just, you know... Rocks. The spin-reload animation oozes style. And the physics engine, while completely unnecessary, makes the game universe even more convincing and believable. Nothing screams "Hong-Kong blood opera" like enemy corpses and scenery flying around in slow motion under a hail of bullets and explosions. Those Swedes at Remedy sure do know their thing.

And I liked how they made Mona Sax move a bit differently, 'feeling' lighter although she does the exact same thing at the exact same speed as Max. Her backflips (instead of Max's backwards rolls) were fun, but what really made me applaud was when I saw she didn't wield her twin guns like Max. She holds them sideways, 'gangsta-style' (think Enforcers' secondary fire in Unreal Tournament), while Max stays true to the classic Chow Yun-Fat school of gun-fu.

Comment

Surprised no one's mentioned him:

Pure perfection!

Comment

I'm honestly suprised that nobody has mentioned Garrett from the Thief games. I haven't played the new one, but in the first two Garrett had a real weight about him. Every time you ducked behind a wall, snuck past a guard, or clambered up a ledge, you felt like it was more than just a floating camera. Your inherent vunerability and Garretts sarcastic but cool remarks really endeared you to him in a way only RPGs and beat 'em ups seem to manage.
        Also - only first person game (that I know of) that lets you pull yourself up onto a ledge. It really makes for good times when jumping from rooftop to rooftop.

Comment

Vibri!

Gum and Vanessa are great suggestions too!

Comment

Originally posted by E. Randy Dupre
            A big YES to NiGHTS. The control just feels so fluid, so natural, a bit like Ecco the Dolphin with added freedom.

I've just gone back to Super Mario 64 again. The feeling of total control in that game has yet to be bettered, imo. The main plus it has over Sunshine is that the environments promote a lot more play and experimentation - you find yourself creating your own minigames and challenges based on them. Can I get from one end of the garden to the other, just by backflipping across the tops of the trees?

Mario's an absolute dream to move around, and the fact that they did it all with just three buttons is astounding. And the way you use those buttons to pull of the different moves - the nearest I can think of in terms of the buttons' relationship to the on-screen movement is the Street Fighter series. Just as a quarter-rotation towards *is* a fireball (what you're doing with your fingers translates directly into the animation on the character), a backflip in Mario 64 *is* a backflip. You feel yourself building up to it as you crouch, then spinning and twisting through the air as you spring into action.

Just the simple action of running around in circles is a joy, because the momentum is judged perfectly. I really don't think any other game has even matched up to SM64's feeling of complete possesion of a character.

And of course, the funny thing is that hardly anybody, myself included, could get the hang of this new-fangled analogue control when the game first came out. That it became so intuitive so quickly further proves just how spot-on it was/is.
            Not to do a Gaming-Age, but IAWTP.

Also Link in TWW is so smooth and sharp in terms of control, class. Love rolling him into ledges facing the camera so I can see his eyes go all big in shock and then close. :P

Comment

Working...
            X