Throwing in high level SC2 play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throwing in high level SC2 play

I was playing someone at an arcade last night who had a fairly decent Mitsurugi. He was always shifting his stances and although he wasn't fantastic he had a good 5 or 6 game win streak and was certainly the best player in the arcade at the time. I gave him a couple of games, and while he had the edge and kept winning, I noticed that he never countered or expected my throw attempts. I was playing with Cassandra and felt that I could go in and throw him at will. Often he would stand there blocking (expecting me to try and hit him) and I would just grab him. This seemed to quite annoy him. This actually worked against me as once I realised this I just tried to throw him all the time and the rest of my game suffered. He had clearly not been up against players who like to throw.

Do good players throw a lot or a little in SC2?

Whilst I don't consider myself a superb player, I am pretty good at the game, and I like to throw a decent amount. Like anything in the game, overuse it and people will learn to counter it, but if someone stands there guarding they are fairgame for any throws.

I often attempt a throw after parrying an attack, as the side throws are quite damaging. Also, as I play as Talim I like to throw after my opponent has guarded one of her longer attack chains. Whilst the hit isn't guaranteed, the opening is lot better than in open play.

Certainly, a player getting annoyed that you threw him, because of his playing style, is just lame.

Comment

My brother and I generally agree on a "non throw" rule when fighting each other in SC2. Not that we don't from time to time, but if it there's it can be taken. I did notice that Soi went for the throwing quite a bit when we were sparring recently. Definitely not played a SC person before who went for it as much as that. Had to adjust my tactics and style to accommodate that possibility. And start pressing AB as soon as one was initiated

Hence now I'm more wary about the whole throwing concept because from said Soi sparring session, I noticed more that some characters have rather sick ranges when it comes to it...
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

throws are fun, it's just humiliating for the other person... "DUDE YOU LET HIM WALK RIGHT UP TO YOU AND BEAT YOU DOWN!"

yes. i need Soul Calibur. neeed

Comment

Throwing is an important part of the game, but not nearly as much as in VF4 Evo.

All very good players will be fairly good at having a natural understanding of a good time to throw, as well as mix in the odd throw in their game in an attempt to throw off (no pun intended) their opponents game.

Certainly if you try to throw any good player too much, he`ll kick the **** out of you- simply because he`ll be able to get a move in once he understands your tactics (or simply block the throw by tapping horizontal and vertical). Throws are intended for suprise more than anything else.

Comment

I only go for guaranteed throws after setups.

This is the method of finding moves and sets of moves which force/lead you opponent to try and retaliate but you stop them with a move that will stun on counterhit - you are free to throw after this and it feels better to know they cant do **** about it once caught.

Also you should try mixing moves up a lot more - dont use the standard strings of attack, you must cancel moves and create your own sets which you can interrupt at any time if the throw is needed.

Throws are perfect for winning parry matches aswell - if you cant out parry someone fake the next move and throw - that'll learn im!

(it's bull**** I cant give command examples cos my boy isnt in SC2 >_&lt

Comment

Originally posted by C'
              Whilst I don't consider myself a superb layer, I am pretty good at the game, and I like to throw a decent amount.

Just joshing mate

Comment

I gave him a couple of games, and while he had the edge and kept winning, I noticed that he never countered or expected my throw attempts. I was playing with Cassandra and felt that I could go in and throw him at will. Often he would stand there blocking (expecting me to try and hit him) and I would just grab him. This seemed to quite annoy him.
                What a twat that brer is! - getting annoyed at you cos HE is a **** player! - manz get sparked for less than that! Your tactics are sound blud - if there is a flaw in someones play take advantage of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                  What a twat that brer is! - getting annoyed at you cos HE is a **** player! - manz get sparked for less than that! Your tactics are sound blud - if there is a flaw in someones play take advantage of it!
                  Yeah, and if I hadn't have ran out of 50p coins I would have beaten him next bout

I certainly like phycological advantage a throw (especially a meaty side throw) can give you, and try to use them whenever I can. The action stops and they have to watch you pummel them for a second or two. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Greng
                    Originally posted by C'
                    Whilst I don't consider myself a superb layer, I am pretty good at the game, and I like to throw a decent amount.

Just joshing mate
                    I deserve everything I got from that. teach me to proof read me posts.

Well spotted dude. I've corrected it now but had to give you the kudos you deserved.

Comment

Throws can also be parried/repels the same as other attacks as well.

There is certainly nothing 'cheap' about throws if that's the concern.

Comment

Not got SC2 (tommorow!) and was very weak at the first game, but I have a quick question.
                        Can you do multi-part throws, ala Nina from Tekken?

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                          Throws can also be parried/repels the same as other attacks as well.

There is certainly nothing 'cheap' about throws if that's the concern.
                          I would be stupid to regard throws as cheap as every chacter has them, and every character can escape them or even GI them.

The guy I was playing was clearly alright at the game, but played like someone who had no understanding of the game's throw moves. His loss.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                            Can you do multi-part throws, ala Nina from Tekken?
                            Killik has a mult-part throw, but I don't use him so I can't comment much on it. I can't imagine it is much use though, as he has a pretty weak throw range.

Comment

As Tokuda mentioned, the focus of the game isn't throwing. They are more an aside to the main weapon combat, parrying etc.

Chain throws are present but taken nowhere near to the extremes of Nina/King in Tekken. Talim has a rather nifty number where she breaks her opponents arm, then goes into a mount position for multiple head beatage, and Kilik is supposed to have a chain throw (which I haven't looked at yet).

Comment

Working...
                              X