X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big screen gaming

Quite large
    Not sure about the game though.
    Has anyone tried this sort of thing? I've only ever tried normal projectors, so like 80" screensize.

Played Pong on a cinema screen in Helsinki, Finland. That was fairly large.... The bats were around 1 and a half foot tall...

Comment

Seeing that huge screen makes me want to play Steel Battallion on it....

Comment

MD, did you win?

Did you get a chance to try anything else?
        And how did it work? Did it use the normal cinema projection setup?

Comment

Its a goal of mine to get Rez set up on a cinema screen. It would be brain meltingly cool.

Comment

Ive now got an infocus X1 DLP projector at home, my 30th birthday present. Cost $1200au imported from the US and all I can say is the screen resolution and clarity on it is highly impressive considering its really an entry level priced machine and I am only projecting onto a white wall.

In the room I have it setup in I would guess the screen size in 4:3 (its native 4:3) would be around 95"... and I sit about 10ft back from that meaning its almost filling my entire viewing width.

At the moment I have my PAL unmodded Xbox hooked up using S-Video only but I have the mechassault gamesave hack to enable me to swap to NTSC resolutions without modding and I am waiting on some long component cables I've ordered to arrive. That should allow me to churn out 480P, 720P and 1080i modes as well...

All up highly reccomended if you have the room that can use it effectively.

Comment

I frequently play Winning Eleven 7 International projected onto a 7ft screen.

I really ought to get a couple component cables for both the PS2 and XBox though to maximise their potential on a screen that size, since RGB through a projector, whilst playable, isn't as sharp as I'd hoped.

Comment

Well Bleeders.

I finally got my HD component cable, all 25ft of it... hooked it all up last night and tried out a few 720P compatible games on it. What can I say, the difference is stunning. Heard a few people on here commenting on some US games looking great on a plasma because of these modes and I can see what all the fuss is about now.

All the games I tried were PAL versions, with my PAL Xbox outputting NTSC video modes. I tried Amped2, Soul Calibur2, Freedom Fighters and MX Unleashed and all worked great in 720P.

480P is good as well but is more comparable to standard 576i PAL if you ask me. There is little discernable difference visually except for less flicker overall.

In short, definitely get component cables if you are using a screen that benefits from it.

ps. The 480P Xbox dashboard works on my PAL machine, just hold down both triggers and press both analog stick buttons to activate it.

Comment

Does that work??

I can't test it until I buy the cables

I need to be 100% certain that will work on a PAL xbox...

Comment

One thing i enjoy is in summer when i can get my screen and projector outside, start at around dusk. Get a few mates around have an evening BBQ and get some games played outside in the lovely weather... its just great..

Comment

Re: nonny

Will definitely have to source component cables for both machines now. :P

Comment

Originally posted by nonny
                        Well Bleeders.

I finally got my HD component cable, all 25ft of it... hooked it all up last night and tried out a few 720P compatible games on it. What can I say, the difference is stunning. Heard a few people on here commenting on some US games looking great on a plasma because of these modes and I can see what all the fuss is about now.

All the games I tried were PAL versions, with my PAL Xbox outputting NTSC video modes. I tried Amped2, Soul Calibur2, Freedom Fighters and MX Unleashed and all worked great in 720P.

480P is good as well but is more comparable to standard 576i PAL if you ask me. There is little discernable difference visually except for less flicker overall.

In short, definitely get component cables if you are using a screen that benefits from it.

ps. The 480P Xbox dashboard works on my PAL machine, just hold down both triggers and press both analog stick buttons to activate it.
                        Where did you get your component cables may I ask? I need to pick up one.

Comment

Nonny,
                          How is your PAL console outputing NTSC progressive? Is it modded?

Neil.

Comment

Just read the mechassault game hack. How does that work and where do I get it?

Comment

Found it, just need some kind soul to copy the hack to a xbox memory card for me.

Neil.

Comment

Working...
                              X