Handhelds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handhelds?

Am I the only one who is not really into handhelds?

I owned a gameboy for a few days and gave it back cause it bored me greatly.To be honest there is not a handheld out there (or on the way) that really interests me. I much prefer being in my room and playing a game through a pumping hifi with some drinks, eats, mates and fat ass tv/monitor then on a bus hunched around a minature screen.

When I am out and about there is too much other stuff to focus on and Id rather have an mp3 player to keep me entertained then a portable games machine.

I also cant see the appeal of playing inferior versions of games I already have. Are there any games that are greatly enhanced by being portable?

Anyone feel the same or anyone love portable gaming?

My advice purchase a Neo Geo Pocket Colour with Metal Slug: 1st mission. Excellent game and actually works well on the handheld format.

Comment

Handheld gaming would only really appeal to me if I spent a long time on trains or on the loo.

When I play a game I like to be totally immersed in it to the point that I turn off lights and pull down blinds, if there are people in my house making noise, up goes the volume or on go the headphones.

Although a handheld would allow me to play during those crap moments when you wait for something to happen (friends turn up late or lasagne is cooking) think there would be to many distractions that would spoil my enjoyment.

I hope the DS or PSP changes my mind as there are going to be loads of great games I will miss out on otherwise.

Plus I'm paranoid I will lose the thing...

Comment

I have a GBA sp (orange), brought just because i loved the cool orange colour. And it sat in my room until i got myself a job again. Now i just take it to work, i have lunch then play some games for an hour, to pass the time. Other than that im nearly always either playing on consoles either at home or round a mates house.. Other than when im in the pub waiting for the next round to come il sit back and play some footy on my spv

Comment

Originally posted by Resonance
          I much prefer being in my room and playing a game through a pumping hifi
          Don't you have to go to the toilet?

I felt much the same, but bought a GBA when I lived in a Dublin hotel for a year. It got a lot of use in that situation, now it is used to pass the time on the occasional train journey or on the bog.

I'd love to know exactly how many ****s it took me to complete Link's Awakening, haha!

Comment

lol .. i use to read on the bog, but nothing beats playing a little SF2 (strain) **plop** "ah" or maybe **plop, plop** metroid fusion...

Comment

I wish people would learn to view handheld systems on the same level as they do under-the-telly ones. I rarely, if ever, use my GBA on the move, but spend as much of my free time (*not* travel time) playing it as I do any of the 'proper' consoles. It's ridiculous how games on portable machines get viewed as a kind of side dish to the main meal of console gaming, when titles like Mario & Luigi are easily the equal of anything on Xbox, PS2 or Cube.

Comment

Precisely. I love handhelds.

Last year, the GBA was the source of most of my gaming, what with the likes of Mario and Luigi, Advance Wars, Wario Ware and many, many others.

Comment

I own a clear blue GBA, boktai GBA SP and a Neo Geo Pocket Color (only got 1st Mission for it at the moment).

I play my handhelds in fits and starts. Certain games like Advance Wars,Pokemon Sapphire, FFTA I played for hours and usually not when I'm on the move. Generally when I've played those games to death I only play when on the move and usually quick games like Pokemon Pinball or Puzzle Bobble that don't require any thought and can be put down easily.

I haven't actually played on my handhelds for months now but I have River City Ransom (GBA) and Sonic,Puzzle Bobble,SNK vs Capcom MotM/Card Fighters (NGPC) in the post at the moment so I am looking forward to some handheld loveliness soon.

Also going to be completely engrossed in Pokemon again when the next one comes out. I'm also getting tempted to buy the old Pokemon games as well (I have Crystal but its Japanese and I can't understand it). I think the Pokemon games are reason enough for owning a GB/GBA.

Comment

I've got an afterburnered GBA which very rarely gets used on holidays, flights etc. The tiny screens give me a bloody headache and my neck hurts after an hour or so.
                    In the rare situation that the TV is unavailable owing to the missus' Big Brother addiction I'll fire up the lappy and play some Sim City or watch a DVD.

Comment

I'm not too crazy either

Originally posted by Resonance
                      Am I the only one who is not really into handhelds?

I owned a gameboy for a few days and gave it back cause it bored me greatly.To be honest there is not a handheld out there (or on the way) that really interests me. I much prefer being in my room and playing a game through a pumping hifi with some drinks, eats, mates and fat ass tv/monitor then on a bus hunched around a minature screen.

When I am out and about there is too much other stuff to focus on and Id rather have an mp3 player to keep me entertained then a portable games machine.

I also cant see the appeal of playing inferior versions of games I already have. Are there any games that are greatly enhanced by being portable?

Anyone feel the same or anyone love portable gaming?
                      Yes, I feel just the same, but I love playing stuff on a Game Boy Player.

Comment

I often just play mine when i'm half watching T.V or I just lie in my room playing it in preference to my Gamecube and Dreamcast.

I'd much rather have a nice accessible GBA game rather then a console game where I can't be bothered to think where i'm upto in it. I wish I had arcade games for my Dreamcast but I dunno what to get.

I can just flick my SP on and have a quick Mr Driller fix or have a day on Harvest Moon and then turn it off. It's lovely.

Comment

I love handhelds. Tactical RPGs on the GBA are great. I love the flexability of the GBA SP, and I love pokemon.

I'm sorry, but I love handhelds... so much, more than 'normal' games consoles.

They are sooo goood...

Comment

I love my SP - currently embroiled in Mario Vs Donkey Kong & Castlevania:Aos.

It was given to me as a birthday prezzie, along with Mario & Luigi:SS & I didn't think I'd use it that much, but I'm happy to say I was wrong - as soon as I'd polished Superstar Saga off, I played through Mario's 3 & World, followed by the Metroids. I carry it with me all over; perfect for boring meetings...

Comment

Originally posted by Kungfu
                              My advice purchase a Neo Geo Pocket Colour with Metal Slug: 1st mission. Excellent game and actually works well on the handheld format.
                              My sentiments exactly. Brilliant game (along with Second Mission), and only the ngpc with its digital thumb stick could do it justice.

looking forward (slightly nervously) to Metal Slug Advance

Comment

Working...
                              X