Clear All

Super Magnetic Niu-Niu - a retrospective

Super Magnetic Neo - NTSC-U, PAL / Super Magnetic Niu-Niu - NTSC-J
    Console - Dreamcast
    Developer - Genki
    Publisher - Crave - NTSC-U, PAL / Genki - NTSC-J
    Genre - Platformer
    Year Released - 2000

In 2000, Genki released what i consider to be the hardest 3d platformer available on any platform. The sense of achievement in only getting to the first boss was immense, completing the game is still a goal i have yet to reach - though i come back to this game from time to time (normally it takes a few weeks for the frustration levels to fall sufficiently though).

Super Magnetic Neo/Niu-Niu is a game in the mold of Crash Bandicott - ie a 3d platformer with plenty of linear up-screen scrolling levels with a few side scrolling levels thrown in for good measure. You control a baby-blue robot named Neo/Niu-Niu, sent on a mission to save PaoPaoPark from an evil, foul-mouthed toddler hell-bent on world domination.

The major difference between the two games are that Neo has a magnet attached to his head (hence the title of the game) - and this magnet adds an whole new aspect to the genre. As anybody who knows basic physics will tell you a magnet has two polar aspects - positive and negative - and Neo can use both aspects which are shown in the game as 2 colours - red and blue. Another basic physics rule is that opposites attract and vice-versa - and Genki have used this rule to good effect. Come across a red platformer and you have two options - use the blue aspect of your magnetism to pull yourself towards the platform, or use the red aspect to push you away from it. You can also use the positive and negative aspect to overcome enemies - same rules apply as with platforms, overcome a blue enemy with red aspect and vice versa. The controls for each magnetic aspect are very simple since the red aspect uses the red button on the DC pad, and the blue uses the blue button - any competent gamer will have the controls memorised within the first minute of gameplay.

Simple rules - but the gameplay involved is anything but simple.

Once you have mastered each level you can fly through them using magnetic powers to dash between platforms, hold onto pulleys, defeat enemies and get as high a score as possible. Its the mastering of the levels in which the problems arise.

The basic premise of every level is simple trail and error - when you first start a level you will reach a certain point where something surprises you and you die. Next time through you will remember what surprised you and get past that section - only to die at the next thing to surprise you. Pretty soon though you will have the level memorised and then it will be mastered.

Super Magnetic Niu-Niu (NTSC-J version) had a 1-hit equals instant death policy - this was changed for the NTSC-U and PAL versions to make the game slightly easier.

There are only 16 stages spread between 4 worlds - but each stage contains eight Pinki Coins, a Cactuar-like "Hidden Item" and a best time to beat. Collect the first two and beat the third and Neo will be awarded with a treasure. This improves the replayability of the game, though in my case i haven't finished it once yet.

Graphically this game is amongst the best on offer for the DC. A cartoon world is represented with bright, colourful graphics - and each character in the world has tons of amusing animations. For the most part the action is a solid 60fps - but there are occassions of slowdown which can become obtrusive on a few levels.

The soundtrack is nothing memorable - techno type beats combined with Sonic-like rock - the music does fit the game perfectly though.

All in all this game offers old school frustration with Dreamcast quality visuals - if your gaming skills aren't upto scratch and/or you are easily frustrated i would give this game a miss, but if you are looking for some of the most challenging gameplay on the Dreamcast then this one might be worth a look.

I've got the PAL version of this, and din't think it was that difficult, but then again you mentioned they made it easier. It seems like a nice enough game, although I never bothered to complete it. Maybe I'll pull it out when I've finished Wind Waker

Comment

I've got the PAL version too... had totally forgotten about it until I'd seen this thread.

I wasn't awake of the NTSC-J's one hit kills system... don't know how I feel about the change but I'm definitely gonna take a look at the game again soon.

Comment

This is easily one of my favourite platformers

Thanks for the writeup and giving this game some respect. Completely out of the blue!

Comment

Working...
        X