Games with terrible endings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games with terrible endings

Just completed Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow on the PS2 and yeah its an ok game. Not really a sequel, more Splinter Cell 1.5 but hey I knew what I was buying.

The thing that really gripes with me though is the ending.

Shockingly bad.

Its like they let one of the developers pre-school kids design it. A total anti climax. You kill the final boss and are rewarded with 20 seconds of uninspired fmv. The credits roll and I'm like

Anyway guys, what other game endings have in your opinion been a total letdown?

All fighting type games. (Street Fighter and the likes)

Though I suppose you can't expect much I guess, but more animated scenes would be nice..^_^

Comment

I agree. As much as I enjoyed Pandora Tomorrow's single player mode for the most part, it's ending was shockingly anti-climatic, and I find this happens with a lot of games.

Conclusions are often tacked on as an after-thought in many narrative-based titles. Almost as if all the attention gets directed on amazing introduction sequences, and little is left to spare when a game finally runs out of steam.

I find it immensly frustrating sometimes.

One thing which I would say about Squaresoft, (SquareEnix or whatever you want to call them these days), is that they've usually managed to understand this and to finish their games well, to reward the player for putting in the time.

As much as I loathed playing through a lot of FFVIII, I found the gloriously produced 20 minute FMV sequence at the end to be wonderfully satisfying.

Comment

I found the ending of Metroid Prime (the 75%-99% complete one) to be a total anti-climax. I didn't want to see or play the game ever again after completing it, particularly as the final boss took thirty-odd attempts.

Comment

Deus Ex: Invisible War for me. Great game, poor and stupidly short ending.

Comment

Metal ****ing Gear Sodding Solid 2

...post-modern satire my arse!

Comment

SC:PT is a terrible ending I must admit.

Mind you the game wasnt the hardest so maybe its in a par with the rest of the game.

Comment

Pff. Try Xenon 2.

Comment

Omg, and carrier command. All u got after huge campaign that took weeks was a lil notice in the message part of the screen saying "all islands now friendly".

Comment

Originally posted by SonicMarmite
                    Omg, and carrier command. All u got after huge campaign that took weeks was a lil notice in the message part of the screen saying "all islands now friendly".
                    Glad I never completed it now

Nowadays it seems developers put all their magic in the first half of a game and rush the remaining half to meet the deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus

Pretentious bull**** yes but I enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cacophanus

Spoiler:

Yes... MGS2 loses it big time when the patriots reveal the reasons behind their 'devious' plan... Not only that Cacky, but Raiden and Rose's annoyingly cheese-filled vomit induced romantic fluff at the conclusion made me want to turn the console off. Compared to the rather subdued end of MGS where you escape on the snow mobile, I thought it was about as over-burnt as could be.
                        Last edited by Concept; 19-06-2004, 19:51.

Comment

I kinda agree. Plus i thought the ending was trying far too hard to appear clever, however it did it for me to be perfectly honest. For some reason I was completely and utterly drawn in. Loved it. Hit all the right spots?

As for worst?

Turok 1 beats all hands down -

Absolutely loved the game? but? ?Game over? was just taking the mick. Though admittedly the credits were fairly nice.
                          ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Do ever find yourself sitting through the credits just in case there is an added piece of fmv. I always have a nagging feeling when I skip the credits that I might of just missed something.

Comment

Ah, well's that unwritten rule number one. Never skip the credits.

There's almost always a little extra something in games worth their salt.

Comment

Working...
                              X