Games that sum up the console.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games that sum up the console.

If you had to choose three games to sum up the Xbox, Playstation 2, Dreamcast and Gamecube which three would you pick? These should be games that would make you think of the said console when you saw them and leave you in no doubt in your mind that these games would only work on that console. If that makes sense...

Again these shouldn't be favourites, I don't care if you think Soul Caliber 2 on the Gamecube is the bestest game in the world, it doesn't really say Nintendo Gamecube at all...

For example on Xbox I would pick

Halo
    Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
    Project Gotham Racing 2

You may disagree but if you saw these games then you would think they are Xbox games. A mixture of mature and playable with a sprinkling of internet gaming games.

On Gamecube I would pick

Animal Crossing
    Pikman
    Zelda Wind Waker

Again, all scream Nintendo and all scream Cutesy, which lets face it the Nintendo machine has no shortage of cutesy games and yet all are extremely playable (im talking in a relative sense here, can't stand Zelda myself).

Dreamcast

Cosmic Smash
    Streetfighter 3 Third Strike
    Soul Caliber

More difficult due to some games like Rez and Space Channel 5 have appeared on other formats... Still a weird mix, but all these show how the machine had different types of games and wasn't afraid to experiment with them but all showed the power and originality of the machine.

Playstation 2

Grand Theft Auto 3
    Winning Eleven 7 / Pro Evolution Soccer 3
    Singstar

Again most people when they think of the Playstation 2 they do think of casual gamers who play PAL games or have them chipped and play pirates. The PS2 has a wide range of games and it's difficult to sum it up with just 3 games.

Xbox: Halo, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden

Halo just screams Microsoft 'guns and grunts' in a space-age American dream-stylee. PDO just couldn't be done on lesser hardware (maybe), Ninja Gaiden is just so MS in Japan - hardcore.

Dreamcast: Jet Set Radio, Chu Chu Rocket, Samba De Amigo

JSR screams arcade Sega goodness. As does Chu Chu but in a more frantic kitsch 2D way. Samba De Amigo could only be on Dreamcast, who else would throw money away on novelty controllers and a crazy sombrero monkey, other than Sega.

Gamecube: Zelda:The Wind Waker, Pikmin, Super Monkey Ball

Although it's Sega, Super Monkey Ball is a toy like game and the gamecube is dinky and toy-like. Surely a Dreamcast game gone to a good home.

PS2: Grand Theft Auto:Vice City, EyeToy, Jak and Daxter

The Eyetoy is the anti-thesis of the Sega peripheral approach in that they see it as a platform, not a peripheral. It would probably have never got released if they didn't think it was something they and other 3rd-party softco's couldn't keep releasing products for. Jak and Daxter could have been Ratchet and Clank or any of the sequels, where is a Sony console without an accomplished, polished (if a bit "by the numbers") western-style platformer?

That's it.

Gunrock

Comment

Xbox - Vice City belongs on a platform capable of showing it to its full potential. Not on an aged machine incapable of decent loading time!

DC - Shenmue really screams DC, The whole hype and everything inbetween made this a true joy to play for the first time; a there was simply nothing like it.

Grandia 2 - the graphical nature and its simple yet refined fighting system is so DC/saturn!

Any sonic game belongs on a sega machine - end of!

PS2 - Silent hill 2 This series belongs here and nowhere else. This is the only one in the series to utilise some tasty CG movies into the game on the PS2. This was what silent hill was meant to be like.

Also Devil May cry............. this is so PS2 in terms of everything. So much fun and felt so at home with such a fluid control system for probably the best joypads on all current gen consoles.

GC - Donkey Konga because of the fun and light hearted nature.

On a separate note and slightly off topica game that does not fit on a system wuld be Biohazard remake, which belongs on the DC!

im sure more will come to mind as i think 'em up!

Comment

PlayStation 2
        Armored Core 3 Silent Line
        ICO
        Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
        Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Dreamcast
        Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
        Psyvariar 2: The Will To Fabricate
        Bangaio

Gamecube
        Metroid Prime
        Viewtiful Joe
        F-Zero GX
        Zelda: The Wind Waker

Xbox
        Tekki
        Panzer Dragoon Orta
        Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Comment

Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, Phantasy Star Online - but there are so many other classics I wish I could mention.

Comment

Glad you can count to 3, or is that an EA 3?

Comment

GC -

F Zero GX
              Viewtiful Joe
              Pikmin

PS2 -

Devil May Cry
              Virtua Fighter 4: Evo

DC -

Crazy Taxi
              Virtua Tennis 2
              Jet Set Radio

Xbox -

Halo
              DoA3

Comment

my 3 on my systems would be

Neo Geo AES
                Windjammers
                Street Hoop
                Neo Turfmasters

N64
                Blastcorps
                Goldeneye
                Pilotwings

dreamcast
                samba de amigo
                sega rally
                ikaruga

PS2
                Taiko no tatsujin
                Eyetoy Groove
                Time Crisis 3 + gcon

xbox
                steel battalion
                halo
                project gotham 2

gamecube
                metroid prime
                f-zero gx
                super monkey ball

game boy advance
                double dragon advance
                castlevania aria of sorrow
                mario & luigi: superstar saga

mega cd
                switch
                panic!!
                final fight

Comment

Ok people, list threads are pathetic, as unbelivable unsound as this thread is, please state resons etc.

Personally I don't think any console retains a characterised exitence through its software, thats just absurd, it simply demostrate a level of preconcieved bias and how you've been moulded by the marketeers. As far as I am concerned the Console is merely an agent through which I play games, they could appear on a games machine made by Ginsters as far as I am concerned.

Comment

I did try...

A console made by Ginsters would still retain a character and a set of games, probably of the pastry kind.

Pietoy
                    Marios Bakery
                    Grand Theft Pastry

Comment

Gamecube
                      Ginsters Bacon and Cheese Slice
                      McVities Jaffa Cakes
                      Linda McCartney Vegetarian Cottage Pie

Comment

Originally posted by MD
                        Glad you can count to 3, or is that an EA 3?
                        You mean thrEA?

As for the new Ginster's console, OMFG GINST0000RS R0XX0RS!!1!1!111ONE!!11!111!!1
                        Last edited by Cacophanus; 09-07-2004, 13:46.

Comment

So you're trying to quantify the public perception of a console's library based on one or two games... I mean its all a bit strange that. If you gave a PS2 to a person who'd never seen one and 1 game, that would be the perception surely.

I see Caco has slapped Splinter Cell, but thats so Multiplatform its on a freaking NGAGE. I think I know what you are trying to get at, but its deffo a very very subjective, experience related topic.

Comment

Indeed, I think I've missed the point of this thread.

People seem to just be listing what they think are the best games on each console, whereas I thought MD was asking for people to list games which they felt exemplified the ethos of that particular machine.

Woo hoo!!

Comment

Originally posted by JibberX
                              I see Caco has slapped Splinter Cell, but thats so Multiplatform its on a freaking NGAGE. I think I know what you are trying to get at, but its deffo a very very subjective, experience related topic.
                              Well, the superb multiplayer is unique to the Xbox. In any case, don't piss me off...or else I will have to use my EYE.

Comment

Working...
                              X