X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save your game?

As Cadbury's might say:
    "How do you save yours?"

In a standard one player story based game, as far as I can see, there are two main ways of saving your game and many variables in between. SO....<drum roll>.... which are you?

Type A:
    I will get this right. Constant saving and restarting so you get it right losing minimal (or no) health/points so you get a nice perfect complete 1st time.
    A rank???? No ****ing way - I will not step to the next stage without an S++++++++++++ rank damn you!!

Type Z:
    Keep ploughing and save when I want to stop playing. If I restart, I have NOT seen what is next and everything is 1st time (not including where you die). No honing of technique in one area but just move forward. NEXT STAGE. NEXT STAGE. NEXT STAGE.

I reckon I'd be about type R. I always try to keep moving but if I do really badly I will restart at an earlier save. I usually keep a load of cycling saves but very very rarely actually use them. But they are still a safety net of sorts.

Type A when I was young and had the time. Nowadays it has to be Z, with cycling over five or so saves so I can get out of game bugs.

Comment

Im a bit of both at the same time if that makes sense?

firstly, ill play my way slowly through saving constantly but not really going back to a previous save for a better stab at things. This way ill get to enjoy the game first time through without 'cheating' in a sense. My experience will be as i experience it the first time. On my second attempt ill try and refine it to a T and do the A type thing of getting the best ranking.

Comment

I reckon I'd be about type R. I always try to keep moving but if I do really badly I will restart at an earlier save. I usually keep a load of cycling saves but very very rarely actually use them. But they are still a safety net of sorts.
        Same here

Comment

Z the first time round, A for subsequent revisits.

Comment

I usually start off by saving very rarely, and then slowly change depending on the polish\bugs in the product: If I feel cheated by death in a few instances I tend to start saving very often, however if the quality is extremely high I can go for hours without a single save. Not something I plan, of course, just something that happens.

I'd much rather checkpoints\ autosave than giving the player the chance to save anywhere. I remember when I played through half-life single player, I saved after every single enemy went down. It became less of a game and more of an exercise in quick save\ quick load.

Comment

I tend to save after hard parts or significant parts of the story, I also cycle saves in order to avoid bugs and and saves being wiped by human error or not.

Comment

I`m in the middle of this one. Generally I`ll be playing and pay no attention to saving unless prompted to by a save spot or location. This usually backfires on me badly and makes me repeat huge sections of a level I`ve already done which makes me bored and then I switch the game off. Its only if this happens repeatably will i start to use the quicksave function if i can.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady
                  Z the first time round, A for subsequent revisits.
                  Big big BIGTIME ditto. Except for RPGs when I look at FAQs for how to get the best ending (only the requirements), and then plough into getting that. Very rarely I replay an RPG to do that stuff because they simply take too long to replay - not to mention the experience just isn't there the second time around.

Comment

Working...
                  X