Snake's HALO jump in MGS3...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake's HALO jump in MGS3...

OK, maybe I'm just thick [and don't know my skydiving lingo], but after seeing the E3 vid in May, I've wondered this but never bothered checking up; is the HALO jump in the MGS3 vid an homage to Halo 2's trailer in which the Master Chief jumps out of an Earth-ship's hangar to reach a Covenant Cruiser?

Apparently, no, as I found this: http://www.incredible-adventures.com/halo-jumping.html (HALO stands for High Altitude Low Open).

However, does this mean that the Halo 2 trailer was the one taking the mick a bit? Or am I just finding theories where there aren't any? Or maybe Kojima 'means' it both ways.
    I'd like to think the industry is getting advanced enough to do these little (Tarrantino-to-Godard-esque) homages advancing past the sometimes simple 'homages' of say, Tommy-Vertcetti-in-arm-bands in Driv3r, BrownEye posters in Zero Hour, ERSE magazine in GTA or AtticAttack game boxes in Grabbed By The Ghoulies...
    Last edited by Alf-Life; 14-07-2004, 19:05. Reason: Replaced 'juvenile' with 'simple'.

from what i have read in the Halo franchise (going into the books here rather than the game) the HALO jump is in fact ODST related (Orbital Drop Shock Troops) where they use HEV (Human Entry Vehicle) to 'chute in from orbit......all sci-fi bollocks if you ask me

Comment

Not sure who might be aping who.

Kojima previously ripped the piss out of GTA during the E3 2K3 trailer for MGS3 (thats a lot of acronyms right there ).

Witty in-jokes for gamers perhaps ?

Comment

John: I'm talking about the jump the Master Chief makes in the pre-rendered Halo 2 Teaser from a couple of years back... where he leaps out, not the ODST's HEVs.

Comment

RE: MGS3 Halo drop.

Erm... i thought it was a typical Hollywood secret ops thing, where Snake does a Halo drop to avoid radars picking him up. Though he does launch his parachute a bit high - alledgedly. But since Snakes' jump was supposed to be the first ever Halo jump i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comparisons with Halo wasn't the first thing i thought of when seeing the MGS3 trailer.

Halo drop - so called because you nearly in the outer reaches of space when making the dive. Not that it has anything to do with said Microsoft game.

My 2 Bahts.
          Last edited by jimtendo; 14-07-2004, 22:09.

Comment

I think it's just a case of Kojima having a laugh and playing around with words as he seems to do in these videos. As said the E3 2K3 video had the joke about GTA, he also played about in the MGS TTS E3 2K3 video. All the words that appear on screen come in three's and begin with NGC, also you've got Ocelot talking about wanting to use the latest technology. This is one of the things I love about the MGS videos Kojima likes to play about and put in these jokes.

Comment

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
              RE: MGS3 Halo drop.

Erm... i thought it was a typical Hollywood secret ops thing, where Snake does a Halo drop to avoid radars picking him up. Though he does launch his parachute a bit high - alledgedly. But since Snakes' jump was supposed to be the first ever Halo jump i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
              Doesnt it stand for High altitude low opening, and yeah Haloe the videogame is not the comparison I would make, more some military shenanigins

Comment

Yes, but read what I said... I was talking about the similar HALO jump MC makes in the Halo 2 teaser trailer, and the similarities with Snake jumping out of a hangar, too.
                Obviously, since then I found out there was such a thing in real life as a 'HALO' jump, but surely one game or the other is having a slight 'homage' moment there, aren't they?

Comment

Not really.

You would have to be a brave man to do a Halo jump anywhere other than the hanger door opening.

Get fast and reliable internet services for individuals, businesses, and organizations. Our high-speed internet, email, and web hosting solutions are designed to meet your specific needs. Stay connected to the world with our seamless connectivity.

Down the middle of the page, with a photo of them just about to do said jump.

Films have been using the hanger to perform the jump. One scene from a James Bond film springs to mind (name escapes me at the moment - But Pierce Brosnan was the Bond i think)
                  Last edited by jimtendo; 16-07-2004, 23:48.

Comment

you also have to see the hidden sub context in the halo jump

big boss falling from the heavens, a fallen angel becoming a devil

a hero becoming a villian

Comment

Working...
                    X