Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the PS2 ever be a classic for Shoot em ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the PS2 ever be a classic for Shoot em ups?

Just recently I've been thinking a lot about whether the (Japanese) PS2 has started to really step up a massive gear in terms of excellent shoot em ups.

In my opinion the PS2 started off very slowly with hardly any good shoot em ups but now they seem to be coming out at a regular rate.

Good ones being...

Shinkigami no Shiro 2
    Shienryu 1 and 2
    Gunbird 1 and 2
    Space Raiders
    Star Soldier
    Strikers 1945 1 and 2
    XIII Stag
    DoDonPachi Dai-ou-jou
    Psyvariar
    R-Type Final
    ESP Galuda (Enjoying this loads)
    Soon to be Gradius V

What do you think?

It may still be somewhere to go though before it catches up with the Dreamcast and Saturn though in my opinion.

P.S. Has anyone ever played that gay muscle man shoot em up called Choaniki: Sei Naru Protein Densetsu? I need to know if it's any good before I might take the plunge and buy it.

Has anyone ever played that gay muscle man shoot em up called Choaniki: Sei Naru Protein Densetsu?
    No, I've played the earlier games and they aren't really shoot-em-ups, rather ultra-batty beat-em-ups in space. AVOID LIKE CHLAMYDIA.

I think it's definately becoming a classic console. I'd definately say it's becoming better than the saturn and Dreamcast. Just having shooters like Psyvariar, Shikigami no Shiro, Dodonpachi Daioujou and ESPGaluda makes this my favourite console for shooters.

Add to this the fact that many classic saturn/PS1 are now being released on the PS2 (Strikers, Shienryu (although the 3D shooter that comes with this is complete ass), and the fact that you can play PSone games (donpachi, dodonpachi) then the PS2 is pretty damn great.

Comment

Originally posted by phillai
      P.S. Has anyone ever played that gay muscle man shoot em up called Choaniki: Sei Naru Protein Densetsu? I need to know if it's any good before I might take the plunge and buy it.
      I'm playing this at the mo - it's not what I would describe as good, but I am rather drawn to keep playing....

Make of that what you will.

Personally, the PS2 is my console of choice for shooters - too much Psyvariar fun going on at the moment & I just can't wait for Gradius V to hit either. Shame there's no Ikaruga, but I play that on GC anyway, so no biggie.

Comment

I can't stand Psyvariar and the Shikigami games, but I also think the PS2 is slowly surpassing the Saturn as the best shmup console. The Cave games are amazing, and as mentioned, you can pop in yer PSX games and play them as well.

Comment

A lot of those games have already been on other consoles, I'd say the Dreamcast more recently is home to better/more.

Comment

The Saturn by far has the widest selection of shooters on any console ever produced. There are too many to mention. Hare are some of my favourites

Gradius Deluxe
            Salamander Deluxe
            Parodius Deleuxe
            Sexy Parodius
            Thunderforce
            Radiant Silvergun
            Layer Force (I & II)
            Souykugurentai
            Shienryu
            Donpachi
            DoDonPachi
            Battle Grand Prix
            Strikers
            Space Harrier

And that is the tip of the iceberg

What a wondeful console the saturn is

Comment

If the PS2 continues to get some more real quality ones (Like Grad 5) over the next 2 years then maybe, Currently I find I play the DC set of shmups more though tbh.

Gunbird 1&2 and the Strikers pack are pretty bad on the PS2 and im not much of a fan of R-Type Final. XII Stag has definately got something going for it (It just feels right) and any of the Cave arcade ports get a huge thumbs up.

Comment

But you have to take into consideration at how long the saturn was regarded and worth developing for. The PS2 has been in the limelight for way longer than the saturn. So it obvious it will surpass it for quality content., as most developers favour the PS2 against other current gen consoles.

Comment

Working...
                X