So that's how Nintendo is doing it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So that's how Nintendo is doing it

As some will no doubt be aware, I think the new Game Boy Advance Nes re-releases are a bit of a rip-off.

However, it would appear that I'm definately in the minority; after speaking to our local gameshops, the titles have been flying off the shelves. The reason for this is that many gamers are so happy with this new budget range of software and that they don't mind the fact that the graphics look so rubbish, because they're only paying ?15. The majority of customers are completely oblivious to the fact these were once games for an old console (even though plenty of referances are made on the boxes), they just want cheap games.

So my hat off to you Nintendo, if that's the mentality of the majority of people* buying these new games, then you deserve all the money you make.

* I'm not including the collectors of the Japanese games here, simply the people who think these are brand new games on a budget label.

Thing is though, them games feature one hell of a lot of playability. And they look better than GB classic games :P

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Salter
      Thing is though, them games feature one hell of a lot of playability. And they look better than GB classic games :P
      I'm not doubting their playability. I'm just incredulous to the fact that people are buying em cause their cheap and using that to justify the un-GBA looking visuals.

Still, their success looks like the other packs are bound to follow...

Comment

Just let people enjoy the games, If you push a mentality on people that "the graphics look so rubbish" so in todays market its worth xyz you are just going to contribute and self create towards an intensely shallow and negative industry with no appreciation for history.

There is a huge over emphasis on graphics looking a certain way already and thats creating a sterile market.

Comment

Originally posted by Kron
          Just let people enjoy the games, If you push a mentality on people that "the graphics look so rubbish" so in todays market its worth xyz you are just going to contribute and self create towards an intensely shallow and negative industry with no appreciation for history.

There is a huge over emphasis on graphics looking a certain way already and thats creating a sterile market.
          Most of the people buying these games actually think they're pretty poor, they just love the fact they're so cheap.

Comment

More cheap games = more people interested in gaming = better.

They don't have to be particularly great connessiuers (sp? I'm half asleep) of gaming, but more people's always a good thing.

And it's good to let the kids these days appreciate where we've came from

Comment

These people might not actually care that the games came out 20 odd years ago - They are probably enjoying them for the first time - and on a budget.

Comment

i know this post wasnt aimed at the japanese collectors but it kinda is

even all the stuff from there is re-hashed, re-packaged and it costs more normally (?16-82 from lik sang)

i personally dont like the packaged uk boxes and the us ones look worse - just look like normal gba games

if the Uk versions were packed the same as the japanese versions i reckon they would have sold more as they look far superior albiet the same game in a nicer little package

i am a nintendo fanbois and i have famicom mini 1-20 and i will in all honesty get the rest of the series, no matter how much it cripples me

Comment

For a retro editor of a game magazine, Strider don't half moan a lot about retro titles

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                    For a retro editor of a game magazine, Strider don't half moan a lot about retro titles
                    Shhh

I've got no problem with the release of old games, I just think they're a rip-off...

Comment

On a happier note, Nintendo only published around 50 odd games for the Famicom (and 40 for the Famicom Disc System), so the rest of the series will heavily depend on the how much the Nintendo Yen becomes attractive to the third parties (plus there are games which would require re-licencing again so would be unlikely to get re-released Macross, Dirty Pair, Akira for examples). However over 1200 games means that the series could drag on for a bit.

Nintendo will bankrupt you Nintendo fanboys yet.

Comment

Judging by the Dengeki top 10 The original Super Mario Bros Famicom Mini release has sold just over 522,000 copies in Japan.

If there is that much demand for certain tiles (even ones that been released in various guises) you'd be stupid not to milk the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kron
                          If there is that much demand for certain tiles (even ones that been released in various guises) you'd be stupid not to milk the situation.
                          But no-one has said that it's Nintendo that is stupid...

Comment

I bought Jaws on DVD. Does that count? How about Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence? And Star Wars?

Comment

Originally posted by iloveannie
                              I bought Jaws on DVD. Does that count? How about Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence? And Star Wars?
                              No, because you're being given a lot more than the original crappy VHS print...

Comment

Working...
                              X